Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 64 of 170 FirstFirst ... 14 54 63 64 65 74 114 164 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 4243

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have some news! A lady on this Board - lydialee who currently lives in Florida is moving to, of all places, Hobbs - yup, right here. She called me the other night to let me know she is here on a house buying trip. I am so excited. Rather than overwhelming her right now wth all her relocation concerns, I'm going to wait a while to drag her (probably kicking & screaming) to this group. Her DH has gotten a job here and they are relocating. He's been here about a month. She's here until the 20th. Am taking her to quilt club next Thursday night. I forgot to ask her if she wanted to go to LQS on Saturday. I think she was a little disappointed that I work 5 days a week & don't have the time to spend with her. Will call her in a bit as it's dinner time right now. Anyway, I am excited about having a quilting buddy of my own!

Gotta get back to ironing those tiny pieces onto the background of Block #19.

Blog Entries
    How cool for you Kathy!!!! Its exciting that you are going to have an "in person" quilting bud! Yes...she will have to jump on board! (Of course you'll be done with yours by then :D: )

Blog Entries
    That is so neat that you'll have someone close to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattyjo7686
    This will be one of my first quilts. I have never appliqued before. I have never sew-en by hand as far as that goes. I am left handed and dyslexic. My new quilting friend is trying to help me "god bless her heart" she has no idea what she has volunteered for and don't you all tell her. Hope she is still my friend after all of this. I got one leaf done yesterday and I have cramps in my arms today. I must have been a bit tines what do you think. Wish Her luck.
    Patty, are you intending to do these blocks by machine, or try hand applique. As you haven't done any hand sewing, I think I would recommend you try a couple of machine samples before you make a final decision - and no, we won't tell a soul!

If you check out pages 26/27 here on this thread, I did a few samples for people to look at.
    I have almost got my first block done. I am hand sewing it. My friend that is showing me said it looks good and I'm a natural at this. I want to believe her because she makes me tare things out if there not right. So I'm off like a heard of turtles. Wish me will.

community benefactor Merlin's Mama's Avatar
    You have a lot more patience I am going to enlarge and machine applique, I have the book and I am starting to look at fabrics.

Barb

I'm going to have to send a Canada Goose down there to pickup my book..LOL

Pattyjo you have your first block just about completed, now I'm really green with envy! Good for you!!

Kathy how nice that you will have a quilting buddy to enjoy. Hope she joins the group as well.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    WooHoo, PattyJo!!! Great going! How wonderful that you have someone who is guiding along. While you may not like doing things over, you'll really be glad in the long run.We' re anxious to see your first block.

Blog Entries
    Kathy, I am so pleased for you - a real, live quilting buddy, even if you can only get together on the weekends.

Patti, how nice to have a needleturn teacher, it's so much easier to learn with someone sitting beside you.

I have a quilting friend here who is hovering on joining the board. She has been lurking here a bit, because she want's to start the AOTH too. She (Florence) has the book and I have her black background here, so I hope to hand it over to her soon.

Blog Entries
    MESSAGE RE FINISHED SIZES

I was asked tonight about the finished size of the quilt if we enlarge by the 1.42% to make the original block go up from 7in to 10in.

All this time, I have been thinking it would end up about 84/86in square and I have only just sat down and done the maths. (we have plural ones here, LOL) 6 x 10in blocks = 60in, 6 x 1.5in (narrow borders) = 9in, and 2 x 12in (wide borders)= 24, total is 93" square.

It's bigger than I thought, because I hadn't mentally enlarged the biggest border in keeping with the rest of the quilt. The original large border is 8.5in wide, so multiplied by 1.42% brings it out to a fraction over 12in.

If you want a slightly smaller quilt, you could leave off the final narrow border and that would bring it down to 90in square.

Very sorry about the earlier confusion. I hope the sums work out correctly now.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm Lesley, thats interesting! I haven't worried too much about it thus far because I turned mine on point, etc. and put it on EQ to start with. I haven't figured out all the exact dimensions for the narrow borders quite yet. Figured I would do that when I got there. :wink: It will be alright LOL!

Lesley, that's good to know -- I wanted a larger quilt. Thank you for doing the calculations for us.

I've been playing a bit and think I might do slightly smaller blocks. That way I won't have to use my Megahoop and can fit them into the normal large one, which leaves me with a 5.5" design so really something like a 6" finished block. I'll have to try stitching one out next week I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    I've been playing a bit and think I might do slightly smaller blocks. That way I won't have to use my Megahoop and can fit them into the normal large one, which leaves me with a 5.5" design so really something like a 6" finished block. I'll have to try stitching one out next week I think.
    That's brave of you Cheri - I would love to come sit and watch you do that. Will you take pics of the process please?

Blog Entries
    You are digitizing it aren't you Cheri?? That would be sooo cool! Move over Lesley....! Give a girl some room on that chair!! LOL!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    You are digitizing it aren't you Cheri?? That would be sooo cool! Move over Lesley....! Give a girl some room on that chair!! LOL!
    Sorry, Patti, I am too broad in the beam to share a chair, but I will bring an extra one just for you.

Blog Entries
    LOL...,maybe we should just sit on the sofa..LOL :D:

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Came home from an appointment tonight, after leaving the dog alone. My heart stopped when I saw my AOTH sewing bag empty, all my brand new spools of Bottom Line thread strewn around the living room and my container of little applique pins spilled all over the rug and hardwood floor (and under the couch). I was afraid to react because I knew I'd have a stroke. I calmly walked over to the AOTH block I'm working on to see if she gnawed on it. Lucky for her, she didn't, so I will allow her to live. I had to inspect my unopened spools of thread to see what damage there was, which was minimal.
    And Gai said, "Shame on you!" when I called her a devil dog a few days ago..... :roll:
    see? this is why this is going to be so much fun! Ducks you quack me up! I can never keep my mousie face straight when your around...uh, come to think of it...my mousie face is a bit pointed...that 'might' have something to do with it, lol!...at first I thought you called Gai a devil dog and then I had to do the, duh!!!!! :lol:

Blog Entries
    I got my black fabric for the background and of course my DH had to go to the mailbox today. He saw the box from Connecting Threads and said"Don't tell me you bought more fabric." I told him that it was just an excange and so it didn't count as more fabric. I'm now drooling over the idea of a purple background, but I am going to stick with the black fabric or my DH may have me committed. He is really great considering I have fabric in every nook & cranny.

Blog Entries
    I have a friend in Sebring who is a board member and I am trying to convince her to join us with AOTH. Are you reading this Phyllis? We're ready and waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    LOL...,maybe we should just sit on the sofa..LOL :D:
    Well, I can set my machine and computer up on the dining table in the lounge and we'd be grand!

I still don't have a design that I'm happy enough with to stitch out yet. Block 9 looks not-too-bad only the embroidery bits don't hug the blanket stitch evenly enough for my liking. Block one is pretty nice except that the blanket stitch in the point is ridiculously long. I'm beginning to think it may take longer this way... I also have to order thread and fusible before I can seriously get started!

I got my book yesterday. I haven't looked at it yet because I'm finishing quilting a crib quilt for my grandson to be. I can't wait to start on this challenge!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jburress
    I got my book yesterday. I haven't looked at it yet because I'm finishing quilting a crib quilt for my grandson to be. I can't wait to start on this challenge!
    HOW on earth can you not open a new book?????? You must have more strenght than Samson.

I hope you get that crib quilt done soon or you will end up so frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by jburress
    HOW on earth can you not open a new book?????? You must have more strenght than Samson.

I hope you get that crib quilt done soon or you will end up so frustrated.
    WOW, I said the same thing...then saw all the beautiful blocks being done and thought I'd better practice before June so I did one..Then another....then another..Uh on second thought---better not look until June!

I followed a previous suggestion and had the spine cut off my book and a plastic binding put on. It should be easier to photocopy this way.

Thanks for the tip. I wish I could remember who it was but there are too many pages to scroll through.

Blog Entries
    Cheri...that sounds like a good plan! I guess I better start packing!! LOL- I wish!!! Just so I understand, are you digitizing it to do applique with satin stitch around the pieces or going to embroider the entire piece?? You threw me with the fusible comment.

Losie...awww...he'll get over it..LOL! My DH says the same thing when I get squishies, but he doesn't really care.

jburress- hurry and finish the baby quilt, you know that baby needs it!! And then you get to play with your new book. Aww...just kidding, you still have plenty of time, but June will be here before we know it!

Dee, I need to do the same with my book too. I would make it a lot easier. I think Lesley did that with hers.

Page 64 of 170 FirstFirst ... 14 54 63 64 65 74 114 164 ... LastLast