Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Those are all gorgeous, Ducky. I'm hoping my fabric will be here Monday so I can see what things are going to look like.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Thanks, Kathy. Once I got the denim in the mail today, I was very happy that I chose it over the brown. I'm sure the brown would have looked good, but in my mind's eye, I have this project looking more casual with the denim.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Those are all gorgeous, Ducky. I'm hoping my fabric will be here Monday so I can see what things are going to look like.
Be sure to post pictures, Judy. It's so fun to see what others are doing.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
I feel so far behind. I have my book and fabric but I haven't washed any of my fabrics or tried to hand applique. I am still involved on another project and I can only spare the time for 1 project and then move on to the next. I hate to leave things unfinished and rarely do. I hope this quilt starts to go smoother so I can finish it.
Hey...I don't even have my fabric yet :mrgreen: You are not behind at all!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Candi, I am presuming that you had a handful of your intended applique fabrics with you when you went looking for your background? If you didn't then that might be the way to go, and perhaps the staff at your LQS could advise.

If not, then the other route to go might be to think where it will be going in your house, and base it on that colour scheme?

Are you struggling with the idea of a dark background? Not everyone is going to do that, for instance Elle is going to be using a lemon colour. Tell us what your problems are, and if you can, show us some of your applique fabric, and perhaps someone here might be able to suggest a suitable background.
Lesley, you are very nice.
I don't have a large stash to start with..and definitely not many FQs..but I do have a couple that I want to use in this quilt and some other yardage. I do know that I want it to be in fall palette since most of my house (except my sewing room, lol) is done with fall colors. I was thinking about a chocolate background, but didn't find the "one" that called my name...I am also considering a golden background.. but again nothing called my name.

I should clarify that I do fuss over planning quilts, so ya'll don't feel bad for me, lol, it is my favorite part and I try to stretch it to the limit. As I finish the projects I have going here, I will take a serious LQS shop hop around here and I am sure something will inspire me.

Hey, at least I have a theme!

:mrgreen:
Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
I've accumulated a large container of different batiks, so I'm guessing most of them will be a part of the AOTH. The newer ones I bought are these. I haven't washed them, but I probably will tomorrow. I bought some Retayne.
Nice, Ducky, love your fabrics! I think I have that lighter orange there :mrgreen:
Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 PM

I'm hoping that one of the more experienced hand-appliquers can answer a question. I am planning to make this quilt for my (very young) daughter, and I am having second thoughts about hand appliqueing. This quilt may need to be washed fairly often. Even treating it very gently, will hand applique hold up well to washing? I'm wondering if I shouldn't take this opportunity to work on my machine applique....

I am committed to my idea of making this for my daughter with a white background and lots of pink and purple batiks - that hasn't changed (amazingly enough) - I'm just questioning my planned method. Any input?

Ducky - those fabrics are wonderful with the denim background! Your quilt is going to be fabulous!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:37 PM

I will say that if I were making it for a young person, I would use machine applique. It will be beautiful and I think, will hold up to use a little better. That's just my opinion.

tquote=Obsessed]I'm hoping that one of the more experienced hand-appliquers can answer a question. I am planning to make this quilt for my (very young) daughter, and I am having second thoughts about hand appliqueing. This quilt may need to be washed fairly often. Even treating it very gently, will hand applique hold up well to washing? I'm wondering if I shouldn't take this opportunity to work on my machine applique....

I am committed to my idea of making this for my daughter with a white background and lots of pink and purple batiks - that hasn't changed (amazingly enough) - I'm just questioning my planned method. Any input?

Ducky - those fabrics are wonderful with the denim background! Your quilt is going to be fabulous![/quote]
Old 02-27-2011, 01:04 AM

Ducky gorgeous materials and I like the denim as well, that will be really different. Can´t wait to see everyone´s colour schemes coming together.

Got to get this DJ finished, its beginning to grate now but keep telling myself I have come this far its got to get done.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:07 AM

Maine Ladybug, perhaps the needleturn might not stand up to the washings this quilt is going to get, may I suggest satin stitch, although I don´t know how this will work on the blocks with several layers of fabrics, think you will need to cut the fabrics out at the back for that method.

Zig zag as well is good and if you have one of those posh Berninas I saw it had a double blanket stitch, could be the answer.