Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Oh boy...I saw machine applique and thought.."hey, I can do that" - - question is do I want to do that and my Modern Jane at the same time cuz I know there is no way in he** I'm gonna get that one done by June...

Thinking, thinking...
Old 02-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

Awwww heck Rach, you should just jump right in! You can still do several Jane blocks per week and this one would be so different that you could get a break from Jane. It would keep the 2 interesting.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Oh, Rach, you should do it. It would be so fun to have you with us.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
I will say that if I were making it for a young person, I would use machine applique. It will be beautiful and I think, will hold up to use a little better. That's just my opinion.

tquote=Obsessed]I'm hoping that one of the more experienced hand-appliquers can answer a question. I am planning to make this quilt for my (very young) daughter, and I am having second thoughts about hand appliqueing. This quilt may need to be washed fairly often. Even treating it very gently, will hand applique hold up well to washing? I'm wondering if I shouldn't take this opportunity to work on my machine applique....

I am committed to my idea of making this for my daughter with a white background and lots of pink and purple batiks - that hasn't changed (amazingly enough) - I'm just questioning my planned method. Any input?

Ducky - those fabrics are wonderful with the denim background! Your quilt is going to be fabulous!
[/quote]

i think i would use the very small and spaced out zigzag with clear thread, so you can't really see the stitches, but the fabric is still being caught every few millimetres... there won't be too much bulk then, and you should get a similar effect to needle turn... i love your fabric/colour choices!! it will look stunning!!
lucky DD!!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by jacquie
i think i would use the very small and spaced out zigzag with clear thread, so you can't really see the stitches, but the fabric is still being caught every few millimetres... there won't be too much bulk then, and you should get a similar effect to needle turn... i love your fabric/colour choices!! it will look stunning!!
lucky DD!!
Thanks Jacquie! I will try it! I'll probably make a practice block sometime soon to see how it goes. Just got to get my batiks washed first...
Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

Oh goody, now we are promised pics of two different techniques, and that will give people even more options to try, or choose from.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

When I washed my fabs the other day almost every single one of them bled like crazy! I was sooooo thankful that they all got the dunking!!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
When I washed my fabs the other day almost every single one of them bled like crazy! I was sooooo thankful that they all got the dunking!!
That's what I'm worried about - especially since I plan to use a white background. What a disaster that would be! I generally don't pre-wash, but I think in this case it's mandatory!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:42 AM

I have a question about Retayne. Is it only used to wash the completed quilt? I wouldn't use it to prewash, right?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Banned

Just popping in before I go to bed. My friend at work told me she is going to do her AOTH in shades of pink, lilac, rose, turquoise etc, and use green thread instead of gold for the accents. She wants the quilt to look like flower blocks, and the green will make it look like vine tendrils. Sounds cool, huh!!