Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 03-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by crochetetc
Part 2 of my blocks
very pretty...i love the colours you chose
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Kristie, I love your colors and your work. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Of course now I have too many ideas for color combos running through my head. Will I ever be able to make up my mind? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by crochetetc
Ok I finally took some pics of my completed blocks. I am doing 2 color ways a light slate grey and a dark black both moda. I am using only batiks that I have been collecting over the years.

I have them all stored in a custom made picture album so they stay clean and not wrinkled. (thats why the glare page protectors)
How pretty! Thank you for sharing!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Oh, oh, oh!!!! Kristie, your blocks are beautiful. This poor little brain is now on turbo charge thinking about all I can do with my blocks. :shock:
Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by Ducky
Mine won't be on actual denim (just denim looking fabric) but I was thinking about Forever in Blue Jeans (yes, as in the Neil Diamond song)
Hey Duckster..... the last time DA MAN was here in town I had GREAT TICKETS!!! I bought 2 (paid more than $700 bucks) and took a coworker. It was AWESOME!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have seen him four times, many years ago. I never paid that much for tickets, but I do remember once getting up at 2:00 a.m. to get in line (and freezing because it was in December), and I want to say that we paid $400.00 for the two tickets. He always sold out FAST! Yes, yes, Gai, he was mighty fine back then, in his 30's and 40's.8-) 8-) 8-) I haven't seen or heard much about him for quite awhile.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Just catching up.

Ducky, Forever in Blue Jeans is a wonderful name choice.

Gai the Indigo Mirage really appeals to me. I have ordered Kona black in case I can't find anything else and run short of time but I would like to use a non solid if I can find something.

Kristie your blocks are beautiful.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyG
Originally Posted by Ducky
Mine won't be on actual denim (just denim looking fabric) but I was thinking about Forever in Blue Jeans (yes, as in the Neil Diamond song)
Great name, Ducky. And you'll have something to hum while you're working away.

I think I've become obsessed with applique. I have officially joined the JTG club. Couldn't sleep last night so got up and worked on my first block for a couple of hours. It's looking good. Now I need to get my embroidery thread so I can figure out what I want to do (color? variegated? who knows yet!). I practiced applique on a couple of blocks for a swap I'm doing, and can' believe how much better I feel I've gotten just in a week's time. By the time we get done with this quilt, we'll all be applique experts.
Judy, if you are looking for a varigated stranded floss, and I am sure there are some out there, please make sure you can get more if you need it. I have just finished my 11th block (JTG club, big time) and finished my second skein of DMC stranded floss at the same time. - so on average, 2 skeins = 11 blocks

Kristie, I LOVE your blocks - you have officially joined the JTG club! I also think you are the first to have come up with alternating backgrouunds, so yours will certainly be unique.

I was struggling with a name for my quilt, because I didn't want 'Affairs' in it, after divorcing my (now ex) DH after his numerous affairs, so I asked for suggestions on my PDA. Elle came up with a list, all of which I liked, but I have settled on Colour me Love, (with her permission).

When start date arrives, those of you who haven't JTG won't be lagging - I will post pics of each block, week by week, just as we did on the Jane Stickle Cyber Sew. I will show pics of my needleturn blocks, and there are likely to be others who will post pics of machine applique, so you will all be able to see how we did them. The start date was chosen to give the Jane Stickle schedule time to draw to a close, and to give everyone plenty of time to finish present committments, and to get the book so that fabrics could be collected.

Also, we knew that there would be people who had done little or no applique, and this time would be ideal for practicing the various ways of applique. If you all did your learning on your first blocks, you would probably want to redo those first ones, by the time you got to the end and had improved. This way, if you get comfortable with doing a leaf, heart and scroll beforehand, you might be happier with the first blocks.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 PM

crochetetc, your blocks look great. Love your colors.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Elle.. I really didnt mean any offense by that comment - I have so many UFOs going but I continue to be tempted to start others :oops: the more you see the more you want to start. I'm trying to get into the finish what ya got mode... anyone out there know how that's done???

crochetetc - you blocks are sensational!! havent gotten th AOTH book yet - are these blocks from the book?? WOW - the scroll work - is it stem stitch by hand?? :thumbup: :mrgreen: :-D :thumbup: love it!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. These blocks were my first applique blocks ever and my mom taught me the stem stitch to do the embroidery. It was put on hold when our quilt shop closed abruptly. So now I get to get started back on it. I did all of these with the freezer paper method and a layover with glue basting.

Kristie