Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I bet a lot of people are going to be doing your curly wurly design Lesley. It really adds to the quilt. :thumbup:
I agree. It really adds a lot.

In case anyone is interested, I bought Warm and Natural batting at Joann's yesterday and it is 50% off - $14.99 for Queen size. I thought that was a pretty good deal and thought I would mention it in case anyone else needs some. Not sure how long it's on sale.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 AM

I have noticed that some of the sale prices for packaged W&N are better than buying off the bolt. Thanks for posting this, now I have to see if they make it in black.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Well, I have a good start on my fabrics so far. Looks like I might need some more lighter colors. What you think?
oh, before plans went all goofy...some of your fabs look like mine!
yup, you either need a few more lights and mediums, or you need to send some of the darker ones to me ;-)
Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Patti - here's my first attempt at doing trapunto in the setting triangles. I did cheat - I used my embroidery machine. I enlarged the pattern and decided to see if it could be done by the embroidery machine since I'm not good at trying to follow the design with free motion. I didn't use the dissolving thread on this test piece as it's sooooo expensive, so it shows several layers of thread and I'm not sure the picture shows how poofy it really is, but it looks pretty good. Depending on how I decide to quilt the blocks, it's possible I might set the embroidery machine up to do pebbling around the trapunto and see what that looks like. Anyway this is my first practice piece. Can't decide if I want to use red thread or blue or black (there's a lot of black in my fabric).

First Attempt at Trapunto
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192432[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-192426.jpe  
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM

Judy - I'd say that looks really good.

I just took a course with a new product "Texture Magic" and it works really well. I will attach a couple of pics where I used it to hi-lite the petals, and also did some squares on the same fabric - it lifts the fabric about 1/4 inch, just by holding your steam iron just above the material. Neat fabric addition. Just another thought to share.

Its' fairly new in Canada, but in the USA you have probably had this available for sometime.

rose without texture magic on left/right completed with texture magic
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192436[/ATTACH]

piece of the fabric with squares sewn on the fabric on the left and steam ironed to puff up 1/4 inch/fabric on the right without
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192437[/ATTACH]

copy of the envelope from Superior Threads
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192438[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-192430.jpe   attachment-192431.jpe   attachment-192432.jpe  
Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Judy, my first question is, what kind of embroidery machine do you have that you can set it up to do that wonderful embroidery. That looks amazing I love it

Donna, that is amazing. I have seen this texture magic used in a different way, really to scrunch up fabric which looked good, but this looks wonderful and so lifelike. Elle
Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Judy, my first question is, what kind of embroidery machine do you have that you can set it up to do that wonderful embroidery. That looks amazing I love it

Donna, that is amazing. I have seen this texture magic used in a different way, really to scrunch up fabric which looked good, but this looks wonderful and so lifelike. Elle
I have played around with Texture Magic a little but nothing ever turned out like that. That is gorgeous. Where are you in BC? We live just across the Straits of Juan de Fuca from Victoria. We can see the lights there from our living room at night.

Elle, glad you like it. I have a Brother Innovis 4000, but any embroidery machine could do it as long as you have the design. It was a free design I downloaded off the internet last week. It was only about 1-3/4 inches tho and I had to size it larger to fit the area I wanted it to fit. I wasn't sure it would turn out, but it did. I need to play with the design a little more because it has too many stitches in it when I plan on using it with the dissolving thread. It's good for the final stitchout tho. It's fun to play around with. Unfortunately, I don't get anything done around the house. We are having a family get together here Sunday because my BIL and his wife are moving and I really, really need to do some cleaning sometime this week. Wish the good fairy would come visit.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:45 PM

I have a Brother too, an Innovis 1200 but I think you must have a few extra features to mine, so far I have been unable to download from the web, perhaps its just me being dumb, don´t always have a lot of patience to learn something I just want it there to use.

i am having an early night, see you all tomorrow
Old 05-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
I have a Brother too, an Innovis 1200 but I think you must have a few extra features to mine, so far I have been unable to download from the web, perhaps its just me being dumb, don´t always have a lot of patience to learn something I just want it there to use.

i am having an early night, see you all tomorrow
It's my understanding, Elle, that you have a USB cable which you can attach to your computer and to your machine and you would download the patterns directly from the computer to the machine.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

Judy, I think it is looking fantastic! And you didn't cheat...we all have tools and we must use them...thats why we buy them! You enlarged it a lot didn't you! I had no idea it was that small when you found it. Do you digitize??? I wonder because you said you would set it up to pebble around the design for you. Interesting!!!

I haven't tried the texture magic, it sure looks like fun though!!