Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

Oh no....you just HAD to post that link now, didn't you Losie! I don't have a spare inch to PUT more fabric!!

I really cannot wait to see some of the new blocks. They are gonna be so great!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

I had a peep and didn't find any batiks that price, I think they must have all been snapped up when their site froze yesterday. Never mind, I didn't really NEED them, but browsing would have been nice.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:46 PM

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who hasn't started yet. I have all the fabric I (should) need but haven't decided which way to do the applique. If you've never done applique before, which way is the easiest?? There are so many ways from freezer paper to using cardboard and liquid starch. I'm sure someone mentioned it somewhere within the previous 156 pages. I just don't have the time to read every page.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:39 AM

Two more days until the "Big Sew" begins! Sunday is just after tomorrow! I am really anxious to start seeing everyone's blocks.

I began working on Block 17 yesterday. I have 5 blocks finished - embroidery & everything.

For the scrolls on Block 17, I used a combination of freezer paper & Sharon Shamber's methopd. I used a CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP glue stick , but only put it right at that little innie spot up by the big bulb. The rest of the seam allowance was just basted down. After I finished stitching the piece, I cut out the background fabric & loosened the parts that had been glued down. Because I used a cheap (Rose Art) glue stick, the fabric lifted right off the paper & I pulled out the paper easy as pie! I didn't need to use any water. It was really an easy technique for these scrolls. Block 17 only has 4 of them, so it's the perfect block to try out something.

So everyone needs to start thinking about starting their AOTH Block 9. Gather all your supplied and fondle your fabrics a bit more & hunker down to some serious & fun stitching.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by taggertykl
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who hasn't started yet. I have all the fabric I (should) need but haven't decided which way to do the applique. If you've never done applique before, which way is the easiest?? There are so many ways from freezer paper to using cardboard and liquid starch. I'm sure someone mentioned it somewhere within the previous 156 pages. I just don't have the time to read every page.
I don't think that anyone can really say what is the "easiest" way because different techniques are easier for some than for others...so you'll have to try different things to find your favorite. I think that a lot of people will be machine appliqueing with fusible (as that is pretty darn easy if you know how to aim a pair of scissors) and then some are determined to learn how to needleturn on this quilt. It just depends on what your personal goals are. Whatever you choose....I'm sure that if you have trouble, someone in the group can step forward to help you! :D:
Old 06-03-2011, 08:49 AM

I'm ready to sew along. Since I have the top together I'm planning to appliqué the borders and get this ready to quilt. I'm hoping to just outline and crosshatch with black thread and perhaps add detail with a variegated. Let the fun begin!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by NDQuilts
I'm ready to sew along. Since I have the top together I'm planning to appliqué the borders and get this ready to quilt. I'm hoping to just outline and crosshatch with black thread and perhaps add detail with a variegated. Let the fun begin!
Please post pictures of your top - we want to see.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:50 AM

http://ndquilts.wordpress.com/2011/0...ersonal-quilt/

on my blog..that I post to infrequently.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by NDQuilts
http://ndquilts.wordpress.com/2011/0...ersonal-quilt/

on my blog..that I post to infrequently.
I popped over. Your quilt is beautiful and you have wonderful ideas for the border and for quilting. I love the heart stencil. I am pondering the idea of handquilting mine, but am afraid that would take me ten years and I would like to finish it.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 PM

NDQuilts, Your quilt is just awesome. Where did you get that stencil? Just wondering what company makes it and whether or not you bought it online. I would love to find one like it.