Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-block-party-january-2012-a-t162737.html)

NDQuilts 11-15-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 4684309)
I'm using brights that I have in my stash, some batik, some not. Would it look funny if I used various backgrounds in white tone on tones? I don't know if this is something I'm going to finish (hope I will!) so hate to invest in so much background fabric. Opinions!

FWIW do what will make you happy in the end. If you use various whites then it will be an interesting surprise to see the variety up close. A variety can also provide some visual texture. I prefer the background on this to be a unifying feature so I chose to only use one print.

dakotamaid 11-15-2011 07:25 PM

Doing some research. Those of you who are buying for you background who might have the best price on Kona cotton white.?

Originally Posted by NDQuilts (Post 4684366)
FWIW do what will make you happy in the end. If you use various whites then it will be an interesting surprise to see the variety up close. A variety can also provide some visual texture. I prefer the background on this to be a unifying feature so I chose to only use one print.

katybob 11-15-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 4684478)
Doing some research. Those of you who are buying for you background who might have the best price on Kona cotton white.?

I got Moda Bella natural from whittlesfabrics.com for $4.50/yd. They carry it in white, too. Very nice fabric.

luvmortherest 11-15-2011 10:35 PM

i totally agree. this is your quilt and the color choices are yous and need to be what will make you happy. i have had a lot of encouragement from the members here as to my choices. everyone here will help all they can.
i am working on two one is totally scrappy and the other is being done in reds and blues.

tried to post a pic of some of my scrappy blocks but did not get it

Anael 11-15-2011 11:23 PM

Two DJs? WOW

SheriR 11-16-2011 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat (Post 4682168)
I used 4 different background fabrics for my blocks on Chocolate Jane....of course, the goal was "scrappy". I think it turned out ok.

I am making one DJ for my hubby using his mother's stash. I showed him your Chocolate Jane and he asked me to make his chocolate, like yours. I will call it Grandma's Chocolate Jane :) Could you please help me with yardage on backgrounds that would be appropriate and how much "chocolate" I will need?

sandpat 11-16-2011 06:08 AM

Dakota...I used 4 different backgrounds on my quilt. All I needed to do was to lay it all out in the end and then move a few blocks around so they were more "balanced" (since I didn't pay attention when I was making each block)

dakotamaid 11-16-2011 06:39 AM

I thought about that but I'm going to try and keep them in order with the original layout on Jane's quilt. I have made the decision, with others helping me, to use Kona cotton snow, as it will look bright and clean along with the other brights I'm pulling from my stash. BTW, I didn't even notice 4 different backgrounds on your beautiful quilt. Shows how well you did in your layout!!

Originally Posted by sandpat (Post 4685495)
Dakota...I used 4 different backgrounds on my quilt. All I needed to do was to lay it all out in the end and then move a few blocks around so they were more "balanced" (since I didn't pay attention when I was making each block)

sandpat 11-16-2011 06:54 AM

LOL...well, sometimes I got really creative and flipped the background and used it as the pattern color! I also used 3 colors on lots of my blocks. Good for you in making your decision...one less thing to worry about!

luvmortherest 11-16-2011 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 4685636)
I thought about that but I'm going to try and keep them in order with the original layout on Jane's quilt. I have made the decision, with others helping me, to use Kona cotton snow, as it will look bright and clean along with the other brights I'm pulling from my stash. BTW, I didn't even notice 4 different backgrounds on your beautiful quilt. Shows how well you did in your layout!!

wonderful now you are on your way.