Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The Farmer;s Wife Quilt-Along Week 9 Blocks 17 & 18 PHOTO Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/farmer%3Bs-wife-quilt-along-week-9-blocks-17-18-photo-page-t67324.html)

oksewglad 11-15-2011 02:03 PM

QE, block 18 really caught my eye between the two. I will catch up soon or later.

QuiltE 11-15-2011 04:45 PM

Thanks all ... IMHO the Cats and Mice seem too "busy" thanks to the white print, and like OK, I prefer the Century of Progress. Though we do need lots of variation to keep it interesting.

JanRN ... me too, I just couldn't get that original fabric placement. I keep wondering if it was a mistake, as was the black, red and white one, that Laurie acknowledged in the book, and mentioned that she purposely left the colour placement mistake when printing the book.

oksewglad 01-04-2012 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay I've caught up to this point. Have one more to go and I will have my first 26 + a few others. I enjoyed sewing the Cats and Mice, and kept the colorways as in the book on the Century block. Thanks to having read all the problems everyone had with it I PP'd it (gasp!!!) I still don't enjoy it and haven't ripped the paper out yet! But it did come out fairly precise (sigh)

QuiltE 01-05-2012 07:12 AM

QW ... I'll take your COP as my favourite here ... love how the pink pops from the blues I'm still trying to see why Cats and Mice is called that?

Are you going to set them on point or squared? Century of Progress gets balanced when squared. Knowing I was going to put mine on point, I just couldn't handle it the way it was and needed to bring it back to the balanced symmetrical world! :) Thus the colour switching!

Quilting Nonnie 01-05-2012 09:18 AM

Yes, the wicked Century of Progress! I had previously done a 12" one for a block swap and the colors turned out beautifully. My COP for FW wasn't nearly as good, *sigh*.

OK, You did a really nice job on your COP. Those two colors are wonderful together. The pink/red really pops, like QE said. The cat and mice is especially beautiful. I love your background color.

QE, The names to all these blocks are hard to figure, aren't they? I show my finished blocks to my DH as I finish them. At first he'd just stare at me when I said the name and wonder how they came up with that. Now it's almost like a ritual. He'll look at me wincingly and say suspiciously, "And what is that one called?". When I tell him the name, he says, "I don't know how they came up with that." Then he'll make up a "better" name for it, either jokingly or something akin to what it looks like.

QuiltE 01-05-2012 01:25 PM

I think people like your DH are why many of the blocks are known by more than one name.
Some of those are regional differences. And perhaps generational differences, too!

Eg. Churn Dash block ... at least it does look like a churn dash! :)
Til OKSGlad called it Hole In the Barn Door, I'd never hear that. And yes, it too looks like a HITBD!
And for both of us, both names have personal meanings ...... who let the cows out? :)