Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The Farmer;s Wife Quilt-Along Week 9 Blocks 17 & 18 PHOTO Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/farmer%3Bs-wife-quilt-along-week-9-blocks-17-18-photo-page-t67324.html)

Darcene 10-07-2010 04:05 PM

[quote=Honchey][quote=Honchey]

Originally Posted by Honchey

Here is # 17, I don't know why I had such a difficult time with this block. Still a little wonky and it's going to the bottom of the blocks so I don't have to look at it for a while.

OOOHHHH.....AAAAAAAHHHHHH...love the fabrics....if it is not good enough for your quilt, my quilt will be honored to have this block in it.....beautiful Anne..... :-D

Honchey 10-07-2010 04:30 PM

Thanks Darcene, I needed that little pick me up. I'm off to do Corn and Beans-just have to find the fabric for it.. When you paperpiece where do you actually start the sewing for the seam? Do you leave the ends open like hand-piecing? I'm finding that I have to remove the thread ends to fold back the paper to trim the seam. Am I doing it right.

Darcene 10-07-2010 04:54 PM

Thanks Darcene, I needed that little pick me up. I'm off to do Corn and Beans-just have to find the fabric for it.. When you paperpiece where do you actually start the sewing for the seam? Do you leave the ends open like hand-piecing? I'm finding that I have to remove the thread ends to fold back the paper to trim the seam. Am I doing it right.

Anne, I always try to sew at least 1/4-3/8 inch beyond the end of the seam....when I trim I hold the sewn unit down with a magazine ad insert card which is lined up even with the seam line, then I hold the sewn unit down while folding the paper back over the card--it helps to "pop/snap" the paper while folding back--this will cause it to come free of the stitching and fold over the card...I do not cut or trim the stitching..it could come loose and cause a gap..I then place the add-a-quarter ruler against the folded paper line and trim the seam allowance to 1/4"....by stitching beyond the end of the seam line the points where the pieces meet will lay flatter and help to avoid humps at the joins and the stitches will not come loose...this is about as clear as mud... :lol:

Honchey 10-07-2010 05:06 PM

Darcene, I understand completely--I will try that. thanks

auntjo 10-09-2010 05:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my 17 & 18. I did them before I left a couple weeks ago. Now I'm 2 weeks behind & after I get caught up from my G'ma week, then our week in St. Croix, I have to get stuff together to begin a f/t HS math teaching spot after their Fall break next week. Gonna be busy rest of this school year, but keep telling myself I'm going to make an effort to not completely lose all my quilting time this time around. We'll see...

I've so enjoyed this semi-retirement & being able to do lots of quilting - & I'm just beginning to get the hang of my new machine/frame set-up w/our guilds charity donation quilts.

17 - Cats & Mice
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96646[/ATTACH]

18 - Century of Progress
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96647[/ATTACH]

Halfsquare 10-10-2010 05:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My blocks - these were hard but better - progress!!!!

Block 17 Cats and Mice
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93373[/ATTACH]

Block18 Century of Progress
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93374[/ATTACH]

janRN 10-10-2010 05:54 PM

Both are really pretty; I especially like the black and blue combination. Good job!

Halfsquare 10-10-2010 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Both are really pretty; I especially like the black and blue combination. Good job!

Thank you Jan. I'm trying harder each time to slow down and take it easy.

gcathie 10-11-2010 01:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Blocks 17 and 18

Honchey 10-11-2010 09:32 AM

Darcene, I understand completely--I will try that. thanks

Darcene, The light bulb finally went off!!! I got it, I got it, by accident-- but I got it and now reading what you said finally makes sense. the process is alot smoother for me now. I love this board !! Anne