Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The Farmer's Wife Pony Club Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/farmers-wife-pony-club-quilt-t170608.html)

QuiltingNinaSue 01-17-2012 09:40 AM

I mount templates on light cardboard (available at craft stores) use a small 1/8 inch punch on all corners to mark on the back of all fabric used. The 1/4 seam allowance corners on all sides to the template. You do not want to sew pass these dots, especially on Beauty. Laura has provided tips on the right way to assemble each block in her pony book.

A good friend of mine draws with Gel Pens on the back of every fabric piece, reproducing the 1/4 seam line, and uses this in hand quilting. Again, not going pass that connection dot in the corner. I hope this helps you. Good luck; try, try again, and you will get it done and learn more by doing it.

Termi 01-17-2012 10:08 AM

TFWPC QUILT/ BLOCK 1, A beauty/HELP!

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 4883808)
A Beauty can't be paperpieced unless you applique part of the seams. Do you have problems with the Y seams? Did you mark the 1/4" seam on all sides of all pieces? If you did that it should not be that hard if you're not sewing into the seam!

Hello Anael, No, I did not mark the 1/4" seams, I'm using a 1/4" guide. How do you transfer the seam line onto the fabric? Yes, having trouble with the Y seams. Can you tell me the order that pieces are sewn together. I've been putting together the Y seams with the squares, all 4 of them first but how do you attach the middle large square? I hope I've explained this right. Thanks!

Termi 01-17-2012 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 4883883)
I mount templates on light cardboard (available at craft stores) use a small 1/8 inch punch on all corners to mark on the back of all fabric used. The 1/4 seam allowance corners on all sides to the template. You do not want to sew pass these dots, especially on Beauty. Laura has provided tips on the right way to assemble each block in her pony book.

A good friend of mine draws with Gel Pens on the back of every fabric piece, reproducing the 1/4 seam line, and uses this in hand quilting. Again, not going pass that connection dot in the corner. I hope this helps you. Good luck; try, try again, and you will get it done and learn more by doing it.

Hello QuiltingNinaSue, Don't know what you mean by punching corners to mark them. Do all corners have to be marked? I've made the templates out of template plastic. Should I be transferring the seam line to the template? Where do the dots go? Sorry to be a pain. Thanks!!

QuiltingNinaSue 01-17-2012 11:03 AM

Dots are were the lines intersect in a corner. Yes, mark all corners were the lines intersect with a "dot". You can punch a hole in your plastic templates or you can also do what my friend does, and mark the back of all pieces of the block with all the 1/4 seam lines; remember where the lines interect with one another is the "dot" or corner I speak of...hope this helps. Others on QB have also noted to stop on that dot to make the Y seams work right.

Anael 01-17-2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Termi (Post 4883974)
Hello Anael, No, I did not mark the 1/4" seams, I'm using a 1/4" guide. How do you transfer the seam line onto the fabric? Yes, having trouble with the Y seams. Can you tell me the order that pieces are sewn together. I've been putting together the Y seams with the squares, all 4 of them first but how do you attach the middle large square? I hope I've explained this right. Thanks!

I first attached the parts with the Y seams to the middle square (don't sew into the seam!) and then attached the seams of the parts by marking the 1/4"seams and sewing from connection to connection (where the 1/4" seamlines cross). I use an air erasable pen for marking the seams. Don't sew into the seam because you won't be able to make the corner the way it should be. I hope this helps. If not, just ask again.

Termi 01-17-2012 02:49 PM

TFWPC QUILT/ BLOCK 1, A beauty/HELP!

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 4884444)
I first attached the parts with the Y seams to the middle square (don't sew into the seam!) and then attached the seams of the parts by marking the 1/4"seams and sewing from connection to connection (where the 1/4" seamlines cross). I use an air erasable pen for marking the seams. Don't sew into the seam because you won't be able to make the corner the way it should be. I hope this helps. If not, just ask again.

HI Again, First, I make all 4 of the Y seam sections. Then do I attach each section to the middle square and stop the seam 1/4" before the end like I did when I made the Y seam sections? That way the Y seams match and the corner of the square fits in between. Hope this makes sense. I think I'm getting it slowly but surely. Thank you!!!!

Termi 01-17-2012 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 4884126)
Dots are were the lines intersect in a corner. Yes, mark all corners were the lines intersect with a "dot". You can punch a hole in your plastic templates or you can also do what my friend does, and mark the back of all pieces of the block with all the 1/4 seam lines; remember where the lines interect with one another is the "dot" or corner I speak of...hope this helps. Others on QB have also noted to stop on that dot to make the Y seams work right.

Thank you QuiltingNinaSue! I've been practicing using the dots and it really helps so much!

QuiltingNinaSue 01-17-2012 04:29 PM

Good news. That's the QB way, to help one another. Its alot like the cowboy way that the Night Riders always talked about in their performances. QB helps if you ask the questions, and others who read it, also learn. I have learned so much here from others on QB, doing the Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt, Honchey, (Anne) showed a picture of her Y seam in the Homemaker Block no.47.

QuiltE 01-17-2012 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Termi (Post 4883974)

The others have given you some good suggestions about the "dots" and not sewing to the end of the seams when doing a Y.

Re what order to sew ... look at the picture in the book and it will show you. If there's no gaps, then you can join them in whichever order you wish. Then, add on the next pieces that have the narrowest gap shown. Then the next narrowest. And so on, until all are joined.

If PPing, the numbers are on each section as to which order you add the fabrics. Then you pretty much figure out which order to join those sections.

Anael 01-17-2012 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Termi (Post 4884741)
HI Again, First, I make all 4 of the Y seam sections. Then do I attach each section to the middle square and stop the seam 1/4" before the end like I did when I made the Y seam sections? That way the Y seams match and the corner of the square fits in between. Hope this makes sense. I think I'm getting it slowly but surely. Thank you!!!!

Yes, that's the way!