Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS 30's Quilt-Along Week 4 Blocks Augusta & Aunt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-30s-quilt-along-week-4-blocks-augusta-aunt-t269194.html)

janRN 08-26-2015 01:43 PM

Picking colors is the hardest part of these blocks; it takes me longer to decide on a color combo that it does to actually make the block sometimes. Seeing all these different combinations and styles is so helpful & inspiring. I look forward to seeing what yinz (Pittsburghese) chose.

When I join the sections together I press my seams open after I remove the paper in the seam allowance. I started sewing clothes when I was in high school a few years ago (LOL) and the seams were always pressed open; there is much more stress on clothing seams than on block seams. Plus there will be quilting over the seam lines so I don't think pressing them open weakens them. Plus the fact that I'm anal about flat seams.

Rosyhf 08-26-2015 04:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
All caught up now. Here are augusta and aunt. I'll work on my alphabet quit until week 5.

Honchey 08-26-2015 04:31 PM

Pam, You can always make doubles in another themed fabric :D...Oh the gorgeous blocks I'm seeing!!!

Pam P 08-26-2015 05:13 PM

Haha I know Honchey. I don't think you all know what a novice I really am. It is all I can do to get these done. I really am enjoying this process and am committed to it for the long haul. Thank you all because I am learning so much. Honchey, I was going to reach out to you earlier today about my sewing machine. I have a Brother CS 6000i. Were you the one who told me you had worked on one of these? I am asking because I was wondering if I am supposed to oil it.. (don't laugh everyone, I really don't know). My manual does not describe how to do it. I have been thinking it needs attention. I was wondering if it doesn't tell how to do it because they expect you to take it somewhere.

givio 08-26-2015 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aunt was calling my name, saying use Jinny Beyer striped fabric, so I gave in and sewed her. I think I've done every block out of order so far. :-p

QuiltingNinaSue 08-26-2015 05:41 PM

Wonderful 'eye' candy ladies! Wow. Wow. And WOW!

JeanieG 08-26-2015 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pam P (Post 7298698)
Haha I know Honchey. I don't think you all know what a novice I really am. It is all I can do to get these done. I really am enjoying this process and am committed to it for the long haul. Thank you all because I am learning so much. Honchey, I was going to reach out to you earlier today about my sewing machine. I have a Brother CS 6000i. Were you the one who told me you had worked on one of these? I am asking because I was wondering if I am supposed to oil it.. (don't laugh everyone, I really don't know). My manual does not describe how to do it. I have been thinking it needs attention. I was wondering if it doesn't tell how to do it because they expect you to take it somewhere.

I don't think you oil your machine Pam. I have a Brother SQ9050 that I bought around 5 years ago (I now carry it in my motorhome for when we are traveling). You do not oil it either. I have taken it in a couple of time to have it serviced, and they take care of it then. I do brush out the lint after every bobbin change, and take out the bobbin holder occasionally and clean under it too. The same for my Baby Lock.

Pam P 08-26-2015 06:36 PM

Thanks Jeanie, i did follow the instructions for cleaning the bobbin. Weird that it wouldn't need to be oiled though.

katybob 08-27-2015 04:33 AM

Givio, more gorgeous fabric and expert piecing and, Rosy, I'm loving all your flower prints. Pam, I have an Elna Quilter's Pro that I'm not supposed to oil. The manual says it's self-lubricating.

huskyquilter 08-27-2015 04:35 AM

Well I didn't get home from work until around 10 last night. So I didn't do any sewing. I did get my fabrics picked out for my redoing of April and Aunt. Along with a plan of attack to organize my stash for this project. Also finished fabric picking for next week, so that's something. I'm going to have a pretty slow day at work today so I'm hoping to do some prep and precutting for several blocks. This week started out kinda frustrating with these, but now that I have settled on a colorway I think (hope) it will get a bit easier. Man this project has already taught me a ton. I needed to narrow my color options so I could actually get stuff accomplished, instead of trying this and that and not loving the results. For this much work, I want to LOVE the result!

I'm considering cutting my some of main solids into 2.5" strips. It seems like that size will works for many of the blocks. I have enough yardage that I can do that and still have plenty to use if I need larger pieces. Have any of you guys done that?