Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS 30's Quilt-Along Week 4 Blocks Augusta & Aunt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-30s-quilt-along-week-4-blocks-augusta-aunt-t269194.html)

Honchey 08-27-2015 05:44 AM

Pam, if the machine came with a tube of oil you need to oil it.. if not, no oiling is needed.. But I do dab a drop (with a Q-tip) of sewing machine oil underneath where the bobbin case sits right in the center AFTER all the lint has been removed.. vaccuming? the area is the best thing for your machine.

Husky, I cut my fat quarters in half crosswise then cut my pieces from that..I visualize the pieces on the fabric before I cut..I sometimes figure it out on paper... I don't think of a HST as a triangle I think of it as a 1/2 of a square on an angle...I generally cut a strip for the many HST's then cut them from that strip..I don't think many of you know that I figured out the rotary cutting instructions for the first FWS and posted them every week.They weren't in the book.. I can thank my Dad for that side of my brain :) My boss is always calling me to figure out the dimensions for her quilting projects..I'm pretty good with figures and still can't sew a straight line or free motion..:D

Givio, Great use of a striped fabric...and so pretty too! now tell me what block would be good to use a diagonal stripe??? :)

Most sewing machine manufacturers use a lubricant when putting the parts together..they will also lube it as a whole before all the electric & cp parts go on it....that's why is needs to be cleaned every so often professionally. lint will find it's way into the tiniest crevice and then the build up and problems begin..

givio 08-27-2015 05:56 AM

huskyquilter, there are rotary cutting instructions on the cd, so you could take a look at what size strip is most commonly used there.
PamP, I couldn't imagine a motor that doesn't need oil at some time. The moving parts would have friction and it would burn up eventually (my husband told me this). They put oil in chain saws, in lawnmowers, in cars... I use my mother's Elna. It has a few little holes that have a little red paint around them. It came with a bottle of lightweight oil that has a narrow pointed top. Mother put a drop of oil in the holes that are indicated with red paint when she could 'hear' the machine needed it. I use it after so many hours, and it does make the machine run better. The holes are not all in the area of the motor, so the drop of oil is lubricating other sewing machine parts as well. When I was young I had a Kenmore that also came with a bottle of oil. I liked my bottle better than my mother's and I use mine. Perhaps modern computerized machines are intended to be brought to the shop for maintenance and that's why they don't come with a bottle of oil.

givio 08-27-2015 06:00 AM

Honchey, I guess we were typing at the same time about the oil. :-) I have a great stripe that is diagonal (it was diagonal on the bolt) that I'm considering what to do with. It's a large chunk, and (at this time, I think) I want it to be the focus print of a top.

huskyquilter 08-27-2015 06:07 AM

Um. Wow. Somehow I totally missed the rotary instructions on the CD. :hunf: Gee that will make life easier... I feel like such an idiot ha ha.

Rosyhf 08-27-2015 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by huskyquilter (Post 7298980)
Well I didn't get home from work until around 10 last night. So I didn't do any sewing. I did get my fabrics picked out for my redoing of April and Aunt. Along with a plan of attack to organize my stash for this project. Also finished fabric picking for next week, so that's something. I'm going to have a pretty slow day at work today so I'm hoping to do some prep and precutting for several blocks. This week started out kinda frustrating with these, but now that I have settled on a colorway I think (hope) it will get a bit easier. Man this project has already taught me a ton. I needed to narrow my color options so I could actually get stuff accomplished, instead of trying this and that and not loving the results. For this much work, I want to LOVE the result!

I'm considering cutting my some of main solids into 2.5" strips. It seems like that size will works for many of the blocks. I have enough yardage that I can do that and still have plenty to use if I need larger pieces. Have any of you guys done that?

Husky, I guess we all have our way of doing our sewing. In my case, on this particular project, I don't plan ahead. I love to use all different fabrics. I will look at the block and even tho my table would be full of fats etc, I might just want something else for another area, so I go digging around...this is fun to me to use all those stashes and God knows I am loaded lol. I just cut what I need for that block. I dont worry about colorways in this case as color is relative to it's surroundings. It will all come together in the end.

On another note, I went searching the board and found the threads for the FWS pony club and I might just do that one too and feel like I have company.

Honchey 08-27-2015 08:57 AM

Rosy, Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone but I still have several of the first FWS blocks to do..:)

Rosyhf 08-27-2015 09:04 AM

I didn't sleep all night. I know I'm 74 etc but.....lol, I got up and got the puppies to come watch the movies with me. All about Eve was on TCM. I watched the whole thing without falling asleep. I finally got sleepy about 5am and got up at noon lol. It's great to be retired anyway. I usually am a good sleeper but this happens sometimes and sometimes there is a reason.

I start thinking. Son came by and said that the hurricane will be near us by Tuesday, aha!! that's it lol. I am all alone, hubby went to visit his sissy, I took out some chicken for dinner and who know what I will get into today. I have half a skirt hanging on the board, the ABC blocks, and I know there is something else.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t269089.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t267178.html

The skirt is a tester before I use the Kaffe fabrics. I got some more Kaffee lately. I just love his fabrics.

Rosyhf 08-27-2015 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey (Post 7299217)
Rosy, Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone but I still have several of the first FWS blocks to do..:)

OK Honchey, maybe we could do them together and not tell anyone tee-hee.....I love it..

Rosyhf 08-27-2015 09:13 AM

On another note, has the board ever done the, Civil war Diary quilt, The civil war love letters, and the Amish Circle quilt? I have all those and I think they came with cd's also. Honchey those would be good for another time.

Rosyhf 08-27-2015 09:24 AM

On still another note. I found two books in my pdf files. One is the Pony club winners, 1915 and the other is a Farmer's wife Mag. from 1930. If anyone would like a copy, I can upload the pdf here for you/