Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS 30's Quiltalong Holiday Break --- Will Resume March 29th (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-30s-quiltalong-holiday-break-will-resume-march-29th-t276966.html)

Honchey 03-22-2016 06:13 AM

The FWS 30's Quiltalong Holiday Break --- Will Resume March 29th

Hi Everyone, Surprise...no blocks this week..We will have a new thread for the blocks the 29th of March

Have a good week off...Anne

Pam P 03-22-2016 06:16 AM

Well that gives me more time to work on May and her Y seams! Thanks Anne.

JuneBillie 03-22-2016 06:51 AM

I had started on my Mary Gray, so now I can finish it at my leisure today, and figure out that May block with the y-seams. I don't think I have ever done any y-seams. :eek:

I hope all of you have a great week, and I have had so much fun sharing with you on this quilt a long. Thank you for all your support, and great tips. :)

Honchey 03-22-2016 07:51 AM

I think I will take a couple of photos of how I do the Y seams in May..Maybe it will help anyone having difficulty...They will be posted here.. H.

JuneBillie 03-22-2016 01:14 PM

Oh thanks Honchey!

QuiltingNinaSue 03-22-2016 01:50 PM

I can post next weekend, Honchey. Maybe between the two of us, some can learn to love the Y seams.

I appreciate the week off with all the action here. DD and bf are here cleaning and dusting the whole house. Windows shine and spiders are on the run out of the house. I have to wear my dark classes going into my bathroom!:o It's so nice to listen to everyone react to one another, plan and work together. It will get even better on Thursday. Lots to look forward to experiencing all the fun then. May you all enjoy your families over Easter Sunday! Be safe.

Honchey 03-22-2016 09:08 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Okay, I will try to explain how I do my Y seams in the "May" Block

1.The first photo shows the 2 pieces of fabric sewn on the center seam with a pin going thru at the end of the stitching of the "V".. I lifted the paper to mark with a pencil a dot right where the pin is at the end on both sides of the 2 fabrics. this is where the pivot will be. I started the seam at the bottom and finished at the solid line of the "V" back stitching so the "V" won't open when tugged on..remove from machine..because the seam allowance is exposed you can't sew over it..

2.The second photo shows where I removed the paper carefully at the center seam repositioning it so that the paper should be where it was when it was a solid piece.. BUT the seam allowance is exposed..You'll see how easy it is to manipulate the fabric..I taped & pinned the paper sections in place. the blue side was sewn from the outer edge to the exact spot where the pencil mark is at the "V"...

3.The third photo show no back stitch..I fixed it after I took the photo.

4. The 4th photo shows a pin at the end of the green piece to be pivoted and pinned at the point on the other side of the scottie fabric it will be joined to. you'll see how easy the "V" swings around. push the pin thru and flatten the section just pinned. I check with a pin pushed thru both pieces at mid seam line to see if the lines match up ..
Stitch from the outside edge to the pencil mark on the "V" making sure you sew to the seam line of the "V" and back stitch..

5. the 5th photo is how nice & flat the section will lay after you adjust the seam & press..

Pam P 03-23-2016 04:14 AM

Thank you Anne, the photos are very helpful. I will practice and let you know how it turns out : )

givio 03-23-2016 07:58 AM

Great illustration there!

katybob 03-23-2016 12:49 PM

So maybe I'll try May again since we have another week. (Or maybe not!)