Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: The FWS 30's Quiltalong Holiday Break --- Will Resume March 29th

The FWS 30's Quiltalong Holiday Break --- Will Resume March 29th

Hi Everyone, Surprise...no blocks this week..We will have a new thread for the blocks the 29th of March

Have a good week off...Anne

Well that gives me more time to work on May and her Y seams! Thanks Anne.

Blog Entries
    I had started on my Mary Gray, so now I can finish it at my leisure today, and figure out that May block with the y-seams. I don't think I have ever done any y-seams.

I hope all of you have a great week, and I have had so much fun sharing with you on this quilt a long. Thank you for all your support, and great tips.

I think I will take a couple of photos of how I do the Y seams in May..Maybe it will help anyone having difficulty...They will be posted here.. H.

Blog Entries
    Oh thanks Honchey!

I can post next weekend, Honchey. Maybe between the two of us, some can learn to love the Y seams.

I appreciate the week off with all the action here. DD and bf are here cleaning and dusting the whole house. Windows shine and spiders are on the run out of the house. I have to wear my dark classes going into my bathroom! It's so nice to listen to everyone react to one another, plan and work together. It will get even better on Thursday. Lots to look forward to experiencing all the fun then. May you all enjoy your families over Easter Sunday! Be safe.

Okay, I will try to explain how I do my Y seams in the "May" Block

1.The first photo shows the 2 pieces of fabric sewn on the center seam with a pin going thru at the end of the stitching of the "V".. I lifted the paper to mark with a pencil a dot right where the pin is at the end on both sides of the 2 fabrics. this is where the pivot will be. I started the seam at the bottom and finished at the solid line of the "V" back stitching so the "V" won't open when tugged on..remove from machine..because the seam allowance is exposed you can't sew over it..

2.The second photo shows where I removed the paper carefully at the center seam repositioning it so that the paper should be where it was when it was a solid piece.. BUT the seam allowance is exposed..You'll see how easy it is to manipulate the fabric..I taped & pinned the paper sections in place. the blue side was sewn from the outer edge to the exact spot where the pencil mark is at the "V"...

3.The third photo show no back stitch..I fixed it after I took the photo.

4. The 4th photo shows a pin at the end of the green piece to be pivoted and pinned at the point on the other side of the scottie fabric it will be joined to. you'll see how easy the "V" swings around. push the pin thru and flatten the section just pinned. I check with a pin pushed thru both pieces at mid seam line to see if the lines match up ..
    Stitch from the outside edge to the pencil mark on the "V" making sure you sew to the seam line of the "V" and back stitch..

5. the 5th photo is how nice & flat the section will lay after you adjust the seam & press..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you Anne, the photos are very helpful. I will practice and let you know how it turns out : )

Great illustration there!

So maybe I'll try May again since we have another week. (Or maybe not!)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help on the y-seams.

Happy Easter Everyone!

Okay, I made a new May and it's not perfect but sooo much better than the first one. I'll show it off next week. Thanks for the tute, Honchey. I just recommended it to one of our board members on another thread. I found it helpful to make a little snip almost to the thread before turning the fabric and I removed the paper after sewing down the first side to make it easier to turn. I freezer paper piece, so since I don't sew through the paper at all, it's easy to remove without distorting the fabric.

Katybob, when you use freezer paper do you use templates or foundation pping patterns...I used freezer paper years ago and forgot how to do it..

Quote Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
    Katybob, when you use freezer paper do you use templates or foundation pping patterns...I used freezer paper years ago and forgot how to do it..
    I print the pping patterns from the CD on freezer paper. I order 8-1/2" x 11" freezer paper from cjenkinscompany.com. It's a little pricey, but 100 sheets go a long way and it goes through my printer easily.

What a nice idea, Katybob. Thanks for the site address.

Those of you who might like a look at my famly, see the PC thread...also my latest quilt is pictured there. It was our 50 th wedding anniversary party last Thursday. It was very nice, but I am glad its all done and over. Whew! Maybe things can settle down to normal now.

Blog Entries
    I am putting together with pins the first little section of the May block. It took a couple of hours just getting that right or maybe right. hehe.... I will try sewing it soon. Who knows how it will turn out, but it's fun trying anyway. If if I get this block done, I sure wouldn't attest to what size it will be when finished.

I am so glad I finally found where QuiltingNinaSue's pictures were. The portrait of her and her husband is just beautiful, and lots of nice pictures of her family too. I didn't find it at first, because of looking for PC. I had not been to the pony club thread. I must have thought it meant politically correct. lol...

A few more pictures to aid those doing May.... May is not complete, but hope the tips help....where the lines cross one another STOP, pivot and sew again. Name:  1-DSCN0414.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  70.6 KBName:  1-DSCN0417.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  53.7 KBI call it my 'longhorn' The dot on the light green you can see, it is the STOP sign where you stop stitching. Good luck. LOL!

Blog Entries
    Thank you QNS. Wish me luck.

You are blessed and wished luck, JuneBille. You have two eyes to see with and I struggle with one that sees 90 per cent on good days. It does create problems, I try to overcome....sometimes I can, and sometimes I cannot, but I really try and then try harder. To give up is not an opinion. Nor do I normally complain...I can still see.... a bit.

Blog Entries
    Some of my meds cause me to have a lot of blurriness. I am thankful for my one good eye too.In my left eye I have the lazy eye, as does my dad, and one of my sisters. Dad gave that to us. lol...I have some peripheral vision in it, but it doesn't focus.

Mom made me have the patch over my good eye as we call it when I was little and same with my sister while watching tv etc. for about 4 hours per day. That helped our lazy eye to be straight, but still doesn't focus. I think today with kids they can operate on them now, but at my age I am not going to do that. I have a cataract starting though in my good eye.

I don't have anything in my eye like you do QNS. You have a hard time I am sure. I am like you, I won't give up. You are an inspiration.

Honchey, where is the posting for today March 29???

Blog Entries
    I kept looking for it too QNS.

It is posted and so are my blocks.

JuneBillie, My sister had cataract surgery and she said it was wonderful, the difference it made. You type very well for having limited sight. And your blocks are coming out great! If you have trouble with May, just make a different block that is easier, or make a pattern of your own choice. I've replaced a few blocks with another choice for blocks I didn't want to make. There's no one that it will matter to-- unless yourself, if you really care about the May block.