Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 41 Floral Bouquet & Seminole Square Discussion Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-wk-41-floral-bouquet-seminole-square-discussion-page-t203419.html)

deranged_damsel 10-18-2012 09:47 AM

Thank you! for my daily dose of GIGGLES :D

mirabelle 10-18-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel (Post 5594899)
Thank you! for my daily dose of GIGGLES :D

Me Too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuiltE 10-18-2012 06:47 PM

buttttttttttt .... I don't want to get ready for winter! :)
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...wbQlI5_2ZC3duz</SPAN>
While I don't want winter ... I do enjoy winter ... that is, if it's Christmas card perfect winter! :)

QNSue ... looks ike you and DH will be able to eat quite well this winter! Any idea how big are those turks now?

CarrieM
... another retreat! Wow! Have fun!

Honchey ... honestly, I am not at all funny! Yea for "needing" to get your hair cut ... and some sister time! Good for you for plans on your blocks. I think I have mine figured out.

Will be interesting to see if we have any duplicates in the blocks!

QuiltingNinaSue 10-19-2012 04:14 AM

QuiltE, we think the Toms are in the 25 to 35 pound group; the hens, a lesser amount, probably 18 to 25 pounds now. A big problem to dip into hot water and pick or we could skin the bird...have the big tub to use. No more than one in a day, 'cause we do not have the strength or energy to do more than that. Probably do the Toms first, then the hens.

QuiltE 10-19-2012 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 5596416)
QuiltE, we think the Toms are in the 25 to 35 pound group; the hens, a lesser amount, probably 18 to 25 pounds now. A big problem to dip into hot water and pick or we could skin the bird...have the big tub to use. No more than one in a day, 'cause we do not have the strength or energy to do more than that. Probably do the Toms first, then the hens.

....... and to say the least ... the oven space!

Yes, get those big boys first ... my neighbour had some a few years ago, and kept leaving them, just to get bigger. After all, he figured, with all those feathers, there wasn't much bird underneath. Well, when the time came, the bird wouldn't fit in the oven, and so as we ate, the rest was in the oven cooking!!It was mighty good eating!!

When are you going to ENJOY the first? mmmmmmmm!

dublb 10-19-2012 10:46 AM

Some o' my sister's chickens have started ta eat her eggs. She has started ta glean them out & plans ta eat 'em. Her DH hasn't wanted ta kill 'em. It says it takes too much time that he doesn't have. LOL. I bet he'll git around to it soon. He is a preacher & has another full time job.

QuiltingNinaSue 10-19-2012 12:07 PM

Dublb, the chickens are short a mineral; need to get grit & oyster shell for them, too, to make the shells harder. Our Orscheln Farm Store has a block of mineral for free ranging chickens, ducks and turkeys that I got might help them. Also, collect the eggs through out the day. Never give them scraps with egg shells in it...save the egg shells for the garden, it helps the soil.

Yep, I am happy with the beef that cost us $2.30 a pound...it will go along way into the winter and spring.

QuiltingNinaSue 10-19-2012 12:08 PM

Listen for hen crackle, then run and collect the egg!!

QuiltE 10-19-2012 02:34 PM

Same diagnosis as I was going to make, QNSue!

DublB ... yup, eating their eggs, shows they need the grit or oyster shell!

It makes me smile, thinking of all the different topics we cover here in our threads!
Can you just imagine what it;d be like if we were ever to gather IRL?
OMG ........ it'd be unbelievable! :D

dublb 10-19-2012 02:35 PM

She said that she does give 'em that mineral. At first she didn't & these egg eaters are some o' the first batch. I guess they got a taste for 'em. Her kids go & gather eggs 3 times a day. They now have about 50 chickens. They have about a half acre just for the chickens. (They live on 2 acres.)