Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 5 Blocks "Best of All & Best Friend" PHOTO Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-wk-5-blocks-best-all-best-friend-photo-page-t177705.html)

JeanieG 02-03-2012 03:42 PM

Week 5 Blocks

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my Week 5 Blocks:

dublb 02-03-2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by wendiq (Post 4938299)
Good tute, Bev.....Thank You. I have saved the site....not sure if I understand the concept of the fabric use......I am referring to the sizes to cut or use. I now use the Carol Doak method so there is very little waste. I cut my fabric "prior" to sewing and line up the edges......how do you determine how large a piece you need for each piece....especially if you are lining up pattern? (sorry to be so dense)

The Freezer Paper method isn't PP. It's a modified template method. You cut out the templates on the dotted line (the finished size.) You then iron these templates onto the backside of the fabric. Next you cut your fabric 1/4 inch bigger than each template. You don't line the fabric up with the edges, so if you are off in cutting it's ok, as long as you have at least 1/4 inch. You line the edges with pins like the tute shows. I can take picts if you want.

I've started printing the line drawings to use for my templates so as not to use so much ink or freezer paper.

I also use glue, heat set with the iron, in the seam allowances.

Clear as mud????

dublb 02-03-2012 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OH!!!! More beautiful blocks!!!! WOW! :thumbup: Here's my Best of All.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]308647[/ATTACH]

janRN 02-03-2012 06:22 PM

Anael really cute block with those boots. Did you paperpiece this one? Great job.

ArtEmCasa love your polka dots and your second block looks like springtime.

Jeanie you have true Pony Club blocks-great fussy cutting and placement. Really neat blocks.

Bev you always put me in a patriotic mood-I salute you! (Get it???LOL) Love your block.

dublb 02-03-2012 06:28 PM

I just re read my post explaining the freezer paper method & it sounds snooty! I'm so sorry!!!!! I guess I got into an explaining mood.:(

dublb 02-03-2012 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by janRN (Post 4940225)
Anael really cute block with those boots. Did you paperpiece this one? Great job.

ArtEmCasa love your polka dots and your second block looks like springtime.

Jeanie you have true Pony Club blocks-great fussy cutting and placement. Really neat blocks.

Bev you always put me in a patriotic mood-I salute you! (Get it???LOL) Love your block.

Thank Ya Jan.

gardnergal970 02-04-2012 05:56 AM

Anael you showcased the boots beautifully.

ArtEmCasa, I especially liked your second block. It has such good balance and looks so peaceful.

JeanieG, such a great job of fussy cutting. Each of your blocks tells a story.

Dubib, so glad you conquered the frog sewing. Results look good.

Anael 02-04-2012 06:19 AM

Thank you all!

@janRN: yes I did. I try to pp as much as I can :D

QuiltE 02-04-2012 10:23 AM

Honchey ... I totally forgot to leave this one for you the other day
... Yes! Just.For.You!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... your verrrrrrrrrry oooown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aXpty_1xo4&feature=related

So glad you are back with us!

OK ...
Everyone else can listen in too!! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Now for all the eye candy ......

Honchey ... great fussy cut job a real look of serenity to the block thanks to Mom and Babe meeting up!! Great contrast with the white print ... it almost looks like picket fences! Please do tell me about Maude's Album ... I did some googling and found two different types, one of which was based on Lucy Maude Montgomery of Anne of Green Gables fame.

MiraBelle ... so pretty and fresh looking yours are. They're sure to drive the blues from all your rain away!

GGal ... Your muddy has it's own sparkle about it and you'll notice how it shines out in its own way in the finished quilt. Kind of like how we look for contrasts within a block ... we need some contrast from block to block!
No outlaws or desperadoes, though there is a very sneak one riding along with us! (Watch out for that OKSGlad .... and her conspiratorial ways!!)

JanieW ... hey ... I lasso'd you in and OKSGlad ... and we dont' exactly live next door. So what's your excuse? *giggles*

WendiQ ... what do you mean "not near as cute" ... cuter you mean! Those little folks are darling and complete with bandana fabric even and pointy-points!!! :)

OKSGlad ... Love how you're lovin' pickin' the fabric! Yes, isn't it true, when we love the fabric how it is so much nicer! I found in the FWS I wanted to keep going back to some .... needed some discipline to not overdo some of them. This time I'm looking forward to using at least one of my two anchor fabrics in each block ... being so sunny and bright I should stay in a very good mood all year. Right? (P.S. Couldn't resist above ... you'll never live this one down ... and YES I'm lovin' my rewards for your sneaky-ness!!! Bless YOU!) Thanks for the links ... I can see me doing the Cowboy Boots for this quilt and will keep the flag in reserve. Found another one for DublB's quilt!

RWQuilts ... Of course you can drop by anytime! And too, remember you can join on in later, as you're ready. I was one of the FWS Latecomers and the ladies were great at keeping me pumped to move along with it!

DublB ... Great tute ... Thanks! I'm PPing as much as I can, and just might be a-needin' it for those non-PP blocks!
I was checking out OK's links and found this one for your quilt!
http://www.winnowing.com/flag.html
All that frog stitchin' was well worth it ... nice block!
Do you cut everything with your pinking blade?

Anael ... I love that block ... and could easily take it from your quilt and add it to mine as it would blend in perfectly!!

ArtEC ... those are lovely! I think they're for a girlie-girl cowgirl! :) Perfect job on the fussy cut floral spray ... and pointy-points to boot!

JeanieG ... perfect colour blending of the prints to the fabrics. Extreme fussy cutting ... the mirror images really set that block right out! I'm sure it'll be your Best Friend of Blocks!

Moi? ... and now onwards to catch up on a few more threads ... before trotting off to the sewing room!

I bet all you eager-beavers are busy doing next week's blocks ... and the next ... and the next!!!!!!!! :)

dublb 02-04-2012 11:24 AM

Wow ya'll are helping me so much with this patriotic them! Thank ya again QuiltE for the more PP patterns! I might make it a king size. I've never made anything bigger than a lap quilt! Looking at the book it looks like I'll need only 10 more blocks. I'm also thinkin' of doing this as a QAYG project.

Yeah I'm using my pinking blade for these blocks 'cause I'm not worrying about how accurate the edges are just how well I line up my paper templates!

I've got another question. I love the look of attic windows. I was wondering if they will look will look ...hmmm..era enough? Or are attic windows too modern?