Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Discussion Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-wk-6-broken-heart-boys-playmate-discussion-page-t178551.html)

carriem 02-08-2012 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 4956693)
I do my flying geese the way Alex Alexander and R. Tibbs show on U-Tube as the English way...making a little "book" out the the "covers" of side color and fold an oblong fabric piece right side up between the layers of the "book", sew on one side and open up to be a "flying geese" made. Love it.

Can you post the link to this please??

carrie

dublb 02-08-2012 07:09 PM

QNS- is the method?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y
I've wondered if they really worked.

QuiltingNinaSue 02-09-2012 06:24 AM

It was posted on QB last year; figured a search on QB or y-tube would work. I do more trial and error than I do the math formula. FWSQ had cup & saucer block which I did it that way and loved it. Displayed an 18 inch block at the LQS of the method and they loved it. You have to visualize a "book" the sides are a square(2 1/2" or whatever), and you slip the oblong piece, the "goose" right side up, in between, allowing about 1/4 or little more at the top, about 2" folded over and side on just the right side. Open it up and you have your "flying geese". Adjust for desired size, and have fun zooming along with this method. Seeing with just one eye, this method seems easier to me than the Quilt in a Day way and other ways that I have seen. Good luck.

QuiltE 02-09-2012 07:39 AM

JanRN ... that's what I'm loving about these threads that we can all pitch in and help the other along the way. You for the Broken ♥. Me for the curves coming up. And more for all of us!

Thanks Everyone for the Bird's Eye View hints ... here we are discussing week 7 in week 6! I'm now going to try to have my blocks done a week in advance, so that if life gets in the way, I'm still on the trail!! I wasn't yo for the Bird's Eye challenge last night, and opted for the easy-peasy Bright Hopes. Even made it easier by PPing with the line drawing!

GGal ... looks like you had quite a crowd there!! No wonder you ran into problems with all that commotion going on. Hope they at least brought chocolate to nibble on!!! :)

DublB ... yeaaa for your maiden PPing! I thought I saw paper over there in the photo thread. :)

QNSue ... Looks like you had some gremlins creating challenges too ... and found some chocolate for solace!

OKSGlad ... I see that you're finding your PP style! <CLAP><CLAP><CLAP>:)

janRN 02-09-2012 08:47 AM

QE I work a week ahead; never know what's going to happen with my mother. I didn't do set in seams on Bright Hopes. Look at the block: if you split one of the long rectangles into 2 squares it goes together like a 9 patch (or 7 patch in this case.) Please don't tell the Quilt Sherrif!!!!!

QuiltE 02-09-2012 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by janRN (Post 4958408)
QE I work a week ahead; never know what's going to happen with my mother. I didn't do set in seams on Bright Hopes. Look at the block: if you split one of the long rectangles into 2 squares it goes together like a 9 patch (or 7 patch in this case.) Please don't tell the Quilt Sherrif!!!!!

Hope that things perk along OK with your Mom! And how's Patches doing now?

For Bright Hopes ... I did a partial seam on the first rectangle, then the next 3 for full seams ... then finished off that first seam at the end. I had lots of practice in those partial seams when I did my Double Rose Trellis quilt! :)

Anael 02-09-2012 09:23 AM

QuiltE, that's how I did Bright Hopes too.

QuiltE 02-09-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 4958519)
QuiltE, that's how I did Bright Hopes too.

Glad I'm not the only one, Anael ... this PPing has made me lazy ... so when there wasn't a PP pattern I just "had" to make my own! :) And just for JanRN, there's some bling in mine!

gardnergal970 02-09-2012 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 4956693)
I do my flying geese the way Alex Alexander and R. Tibbs show on U-Tube as the English way...making a little "book" out the the "covers" of side color and fold an oblong fabric piece right side up between the layers of the "book", sew on one side and open up to be a "flying geese" made. Love it.

I looked this up and it is really a slick trick! My question is now do you figure out the sizes of your fabric when you can make flying geese in so many sizes. Also do you ever trim out the background fabric? Three layers makes it bulky for quilting doesn't it?

gardnergal970 02-09-2012 10:11 AM

[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]GGal[COLOR=#006400][SIZE=3][FONT=book antiqua][B][COLOR=#006400][SIZE=3][FONT=book antiqua][B] ... looks like you had quite a crowd there!! No wonder you ran into problems with all that commotion going on. Hope they at least brought chocolate to nibble on!!! :)

No chocolate. It would have been nice but I'm gaining ground with losing weight and don't keep it in the house right now. Did have a Snickers thanks to my husband when we were out an about over the weekend though so I don't feel deprived.