Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First 25 Completed Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-quilt-along-photo-page-first-25-completed-blocks-t74338.html)

rwquilts 11-10-2010 05:45 PM

Looking good!!!

pookie ookie 11-10-2010 06:48 PM

It's the perfect red, Honchey.

I bought my sashing yesterday. Couldn't decide so I bought two colors. lol Will decide in a few days when I have time for cutting.

mirabelle 11-10-2010 10:08 PM

Great choice for the sashing Honchey, are you goingl to set your blocks straight or on point.

Honchey 11-11-2010 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle
Great choice for the sashing Honchey, are you goingl to set your blocks straight or on point.

I never even thought about doing them straight. I finished a stack and whack on point several months ago and the only thing I didn't like about it is there's alot of stretching . If it's done straight-you miss out on the effect of the side diamonds. A hint ladies--when you cut for the diamonds-starch till the fabric is like a board before you cut AND add a half inch to the square before you cut in half. You won't lose your points after the triangles have been added to the sides. I taught a class on that and my students were so happy that the points were still there after squaring up the quilt.

auntjo 11-11-2010 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now that I'm teaching f/t I feel like it's always catch-up time. But it feels so great to have started this project & be far enough into it and happy enough with the results so far to want to keep it going. It's keeping me in the quilting process - at least a couple blocks every couple weeks. And DH finished the install of my new design wall just about the time that I outgrew my portable bulletin board felt board to see them all laid out as we go.

I'm trying not to repeat fabrics so far, but that will probably get a little tougher as we progress. Now that we're this far, I've got to get back to the site & print out the template pages for the last 50 blocks. I have been keeping a binder w/template pieces in plastic sandwich bags stapled to the rotary cutting instructions, & the dates of block completion. Tho the layout grid is staying on the computer 'til all is input.

I like the idea about starting to attach a sashing strip to one side, tho haven't even really begun to think about a color yet...

Great fun! Thanks to all for this project - it's helping me keep my sanity this time around in the teaching process (so far!)

JAGSD 11-11-2010 07:54 AM

Aunto jo
BEAUTIFUL!

janRN 11-11-2010 08:54 AM

Very nice-it's so exciting to see all 25 together. I love your scrappy look.

wvdek 11-12-2010 07:33 AM

Oh my, what a wonderful way to start the day. Great 'eye candy' everyone. So many varieties and color combos.
Since I have only been able to get about 6 blocks done, I will refrain from posting. School is too high a priority. Christmas break tho, that is a different story.
Thanks for the postings. Beautiful.

JeanieG 11-15-2010 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well everyone, I've had a terrible time deciding on the sashing strips. I have two photos below, one with the light tan and one with the darker tan as possibilities. I'm not really fond of either of them. I got a small print from the selection, but did not like it at all. What do you think of the red that is in the blocks??? I just don't know...anyway please give me your thoughts.

sew cornie 11-15-2010 02:19 PM

Jeanie, of the two, I prefer the darker tan. On the lighter one, some of your block edges disappear. For the small print you mentioned, am I correct in understanding that it's a print from the same line of fabrics? Would it work as the cornerstones? When I was auditioning sashings, I found that changing out cornerstone fabric turned a mediocre sashing into a perfect fit.