Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   JAN 15 2011 STARS BOM - PICTURES (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/jan-15-2011-stars-bom-pictures-t90616.html)

JeanieG 01-16-2011 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa

Originally Posted by beachlady
Will try again.

Whoaaaa, that's awesome! Love those fabrics.

After looking at all these pictures, I'm a little jealous - all of your points match so well!!

Alexis, in my opinion, the secret to making stars with good matching points is to make the half-square triangle blocks a touch oversized and then cut them down. For example, for this star the pattern calls for 4-7/8" squares that you mark diagonally and sew on either side of the line and then cut apart. Make your blocks an even 5", do the marking, sewing and cutting, then after ironing the pieces, trim it down. You'll only be cutting off around 1/16" on each side but you'll be amazed at how much better your hst blocks turn out.

Thanks for the great tip Judy!

Surfergirl 01-16-2011 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by mmonohon
I did mine backwards also. That is what I get for writing the cut sizes and not printing out the pattern. Oh well, life goes on.

I can't wait until the next block. I have so much cat fabric to use before the drawer bursts.

Your star is beautiful...love the cat fabric!

cctx. 01-16-2011 11:28 AM

Very pretty photos and colors. Great job everyone.

cctx. 01-16-2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by candikhan

Originally Posted by BizzieLizzie
Played about with this block and came up with these stars. The last one is a variation on the theme. Hope you like them.

They look great! I particularly love the last one.

Love the last one too, so pretty!

pdcakm 01-16-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by pdcakm
great blocks all of you over-achievers. it is only noon here in california and already you are done. they are all beautiful.

i will have to do a personal debate to decide if i will do this bom. i always love the idea of it, but when it is time to put all those blocks together i seem to get sidetracked. still have a couple of completed bom sets that need to be made into quilts. well, that is my personal problem, i think. you all are probably quilt finishers. love you all quilty pals.

I like to do swaps and BOM's, but I sure don't need that many quilts, so I donate the blocks and let someone else figure out how to put them together. There are people on this board who do quilts for charity(Veterans of Valor, Quilts for Kids, our soldiers in Afghanistan, and others) and would love any blocks to help their cause. There's always something to be done with them. Don't let that stop you from joining in.

you know judy, you are right. i keep forgetting about that possibility. actually my own quilt guild would use them for community service. i will have to do that. thanks for reminding me.

TymeToShine 01-16-2011 12:46 PM

Will try again.

Beautiful! :thumbup:

Lady Shivesa 01-16-2011 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa

Will try again.

Whoaaaa, that's awesome! Love those fabrics.

After looking at all these pictures, I'm a little jealous - all of your points match so well!!

Alexis, in my opinion, the secret to making stars with good matching points is to make the half-square triangle blocks a touch oversized and then cut them down. For example, for this star the pattern calls for 4-7/8" squares that you mark diagonally and sew on either side of the line and then cut apart. Make your blocks an even 5", do the marking, sewing and cutting, then after ironing the pieces, trim it down. You'll only be cutting off around 1/16" on each side but you'll be amazed at how much better your hst blocks turn out.

That sounds like a good plan! Not to mention that 5" is a whole lot easier to cut than 4-7/8". ;) Thanks for the tip! :)

Matilda 01-16-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jenniky

Originally Posted by MommaDorian

Originally Posted by Matilda
Oh they are all looking so pretty!! Here is my block. I wanted to do black and a silvery but had not silver in my stash. I like it though. Very easy to do. (Secretly: I am glad it wasn't paper piecing! :) )

LOL I'm secretly disappointed that it wasn't paper piecing. :)

I was hoping for PP also... now that I got the hang of it with the Church piece..wanted to try it again.

Never fear, there will be paperpiecing.

I don't doubt it!! lol
:shock:

Matilda 01-16-2011 01:31 PM

Will try again.

Very cool!!!

laureneberhard 01-16-2011 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my Friendship Star block....I choose to make 4 small stars and put them together to make the 12" block.

MY 12" Friendship Star block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161591[/ATTACH]