Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Jane Stickle Cyber Block Party Wk. 43, I13, H6, H12 and LS8 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-wk-43-i13-h6-h12-ls8-t71793.html)

sandpat 10-23-2010 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This week isn't too hard. I-13 and H12 are just straight forward applique or paper piecing (or rotary cutting/piecing).

H6 was a little trickier, but not hard. I cut out the circle templates from freezer paper and ironed to the fabric. I rotary cut the pieces for the 9 patch, then inserted the "arcs" on freezer paper into the seams before sewing them together. When I finished that part, I just sewed the arcs down by hand.

LS8 I don't really like how my little applique pieces turned out and might redo them. I paper pieced what I could and built it from the bottom to avoid as many "y" seams as possible. Then I appliqued the little pieces. I should have back basted them and then they might not be crooked.

But..here they are none the less.....have fun!

week 43
[ATTACH=CONFIG]100677[/ATTACH]

np3 10-23-2010 06:48 AM

Wow, looks complicated!

luvmortherest 10-23-2010 05:51 PM

beautiful.

i think i might try starching my applique pieces then gluing them down before stitching. wish me luck

sandpat 10-23-2010 06:52 PM

luv, I generally use freezer paper inside, then wet the seam allowance with starch to make a crisp seam and iron it under. I still struggle with the points though and I need to either pin better when I am placing them on the block, or I need to stick them on there with the glue stick pen.

But yes...good luck to you!

wilhelmina 10-23-2010 08:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Week 43 :D

I just realized, Patti, when I looked at your pics, I forgot the tiny triangles on LS-8, so I will add those!

I pieced H-6, what fun! I have a couple pics while I was sewing that one, for anyone interested as I know curves are not generally a favorite. I am more visual, its easier for me, to see a technique, than to read directions...

H-6
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108577[/ATTACH]

H-6 curve ready to sew!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108578[/ATTACH]

sandpat 10-24-2010 04:55 AM

Those are lovely Meridith! I've tried and tried and I just can't sew those little curves like that. They don't seem to lay flat- I always have some little weird spot. I pin...alot more than 3..and I sew very slowly...maybe thats my problem..:roll:

wilhelmina 10-24-2010 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Those are lovely Meridith! I've tried and tried and I just can't sew those little curves like that. They don't seem to lay flat- I always have some little weird spot. I pin...alot more than 3..and I sew very slowly...maybe thats my problem..:roll:

Three pins are plenty, for these tiny curves. Snip the curve to add the fullness, the two most important pins are the edges, they need to line up exactly! Then, sew with the fuller side down (my pinned piece pictured, the white was down) because the machine will take up some of the fullness, it may feel like you are sewing blind, but I do shift/pull the bottom fabric slightly to help it stay smooth as I stitch. Look again closely at the pic as it is smooth along the seam line. Not all 12 of those curves are perfect either, one of the curves is a little wonky, and I did have one little pucker, I ironed out! But I'm happy with it, it is done! :lol:

sandpat 10-24-2010 03:38 PM

I'd be happy with yours too...I don't see anything wrong with them. I'll have to try machine sewing the curves again sometime. I get frustrated when it takes me a long time.

QuiltswithConvicts 10-24-2010 05:08 PM

I love your I-13 with the pink in it! Brown & pink are so hot right now.

Butterflyspain 10-25-2010 02:40 AM

Lovely blocks yet again Patti. Love them all they look really good