Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   New Quilting Bee, August 2017 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/new-quilting-bee-august-2017-a-t290099.html)

zennia 08-02-2017 03:49 AM

Ready to get started on these Fun looking blocks. busy the next few days but Sat should be a good day to do them.

Just Jan 08-02-2017 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew (Post 7877580)
WELL, just knock me up side the head! In all my searching for 10 1/2" UNfinished block patterns, I never noticed that the pattern for the Chain Link block says 10 1/2" finished! Here I thot I'd made a perfect sized block...I actually had to trim a bit off all around (which is usually not the case). It's an easy block to trim, so don't panic, just make it and trim a smidge off. Thanks Pam for letting me know.

Jean

Hi! Was just going to ask about the 10 1/2 finished size and saw the other comments. For me, trimming it down is NOT an option. It will look wrong when its sewn into a quilt, as the chain will be wider in the center of the block. I will try to see if I can redo the math to make it come out right. If it works, I can post the correct sizes to cut the pieces. Otherwise I will substitute another block. Thanks. Janet

Barb in Louisiana 08-02-2017 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I drew the Chain Link out in EQ as a 7 inch block and then printed the rotary cutting instructions as a 10 inch block. There are a lot of very tight cutting instructions into the 16ths.

I believe we can make this block by fattening up our 1/4" seams. We only need to lose 1/2 inch per side. There are 4 seams per side. My math says we need to make our seams about 3/8" within the block to take up the extra. That's 4 x 1/8 inch = 4/8 = 1/2 inch. The outside edge would have a bit more fabric on it. It would 1/4 inch per side. Does this look doable?

Just Jan 08-02-2017 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 7877789)
I drew the Chain Link out in EQ as a 7 inch block and then printed the rotary cutting instructions as a 10 inch block. There are a lot of very tight cutting instructions into the 16ths.

I believe we can make this block by fattening up our 1/4" seams. We only need to lose 1/2 inch per side. There are 4 seams per side. My math says we need to make our seams about 3/8" within the block to take up the extra. That's 4 x 1/8 inch = 4/8 = 1/2 inch. The outside edge would have a bit more fabric on it. It would 1/4 inch per side. Does this look doable?

Yes, it looks doable! I went to BlockBase and came up with a block called Tic Tac Toe that also will work. I have a Dr. appointment early this afternoon. When I get home I will try it. Actually, I think I will try both your block and mine, using different fabrics and see what I get! (I usually use scant seams, so using fat seams will be a challenge for me.) ;) Thanks. Janet

Barb in Louisiana 08-02-2017 07:05 AM

Jan thanks for trying this. I will look forward to seeing your results.

petuniaflowers 08-02-2017 07:11 AM

This will probably work just fine for me since I always seam to be a tad bit ( or more) small on the finished block size!

Oksewnsew 08-02-2017 07:31 AM

I appreciate you ladies 'redoing' the block, but I did measure my strips, made according to the pattern and my pieces all measure the same, after I trimmed it. There was only about a scant 1/4" I had to trim around. So for others, if you go by the pattern, I'm betting it will come out fine.

Oksewnsew 08-02-2017 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by petuniaflowers (Post 7877840)
This will probably work just fine for me since I always seam to be a tad bit ( or more) small on the finished block size!

The more I think about it, I'm wondering IF they might have posted in error the Finished Size, meaning it should have said UNfinished size. I didn't really find it that big when just sewn, and trimming was minimal. It's possible they did make an error. I always have my machine set at a scant 1/4"..

tscweaves 08-02-2017 08:13 AM

Oh you ladies are killing me! I just figured out how to get a consistent scant 1/4" now you want me to go back to my old ways? LOL

Oksewnsew 08-02-2017 08:25 AM

No, TSC, you do just like you have been doing, whatever works for your machine. I just happen to have to set my machine at the scant mark. I have another machine that sets another way, so you just do what works for you..:thumbup: Believe me, I didn't have a bit of trouble making the pattern like it says.