Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New Quilting Bee, August 2017

New Quilting Bee, August 2017

Hello, August! Can you believe how fast this year is moving? Well, guess I'd better get these blocks posted, I know some of you are staring at the computer, thinking 'when is she gonna post new blocks', so here they are.

**NOTE: These blocks are to be 10 1/2" unfinished. Please chat and post pictures. If you are trying to get caught up, just tell us the month you are posting for and just post here. We like to oooo and aaahhhh over all.

***I would like to make a point here, I started this Bee to get quilters together to chat & sew, making different blocks for a quilt, etc. IF you ask to sign up, then never join in, (but I have a feeling you are collecting the blocks), it's just not fair to the ones that do make these blocks and post/chat. I didn't start this for others to just collect patterns! So if you've joined but not posted, please post and let me know you're still interested. I realize this site is an easy way to 'collect' patterns, but if you're doing that, at least join the chat, etc.!!

These blocks may be a bit challenging but give them a try - read the patterns carefully and enjoy making these.

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...ilt-block.html

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...ilt-block.html

Here are the blocks.

Name:  Bee Blks -Aug. '17.JPG
Views: 718
Size:  340.5 KB

Sew Cool! Nice blocks!

Blog Entries
    not joining, but do like those blocks
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I do have one of July's finished last night and the other one half sewed. Sure would like to get it posted today or tomorrow depending how late I get out of work. I do like these blocks. Oh and I agree. I too don't particularly appreciate it when someone takes the time to organize a BOM and someone only comes along for the patterns. Like doing a mystery table runner in my quilt group, that tends to happen too. I appreciate your time and all those that find a block for us to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post
    Here are the blocks.

Name:  Bee Blks -Aug. '17.JPG
Views: 718
Size:  340.5 KB
    Oh these blocks are wonderful! I like modern blocks and I think these really fit. These should be fun and challenging for me to do, can't wait:-)

I have a question regarding the monthly blocks. I have now made at least one from every month, so that makes me in good graces with the Bee, yes? I am hoping to go back and do a few more, but I know there is one I really don't care for so can I substitute a different one?
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1891 VS2, 1932 15-88, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1956 15-125, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Hmmm! Partial seams. I guess it's time to take a deep breath and try them again.

Cute blocks!

Tscweaves: You are doing great. One block a month is all you need to do if that's your comfort level. I added one more block to a baby quilt top I just finished.

Oksewnsew: Thanks for keeping this thread up and running. I love this small group and the chatting.

Connie
    Last edited by retiredteacher09; 08-01-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Nancy, you may lurk, just because it's you.. TSC, yes, only one block is necessary, but always good to stretch out and do more. You can play catch up during the month, if you like. Thanks, Retired, I think it's just fun the try some patterns we might not do otherwise. There's all sorts of things you can make using these blocks, not just a quilt, yes? Keep the posts and pictures coming.

Jean

Ohh, I have to catch up on recent blocks. I sent my earlier ones to Anaquilts for preemie quilts. Win, win!!
    Dotty in NYC

Great blocks, can't wait for the challenge of piecing.
    Happy quilting, Pat

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    The blocks are beautiful! I won't get to them right away, I finally got the fabric I ordered to finish a customer's quilt. He's been waiting awhile so have to honor the commitment first Can hardly wait to sew these.

Great blocks. Having trouble printing them. They're too wide for letter paper on landscape.

Absolutely beautiful blocks! Especially love the patterned fabric. I am going to join this BOM - this will be my first. Off to find some gorgeous fabric.
    Retired USN Senior Chief

Started cutting the chain link block but just noticed the pattern says it's for a 10 1/2 inch finished block. Those of you who have made it please clarify. THANKS! Pam

Blog Entries
    LOVE THEM! Hope mine will look good , kind of worried lol
    women can't live on chocolate alone they must quilt

Blog Entries
    Having trouble posting. I wont be able to get to do the blocks for a week or 2. Kitchen and dinning area are getting a make over ( wish I was getting one too)
    women can't live on chocolate alone they must quilt

WELL, just knock me up side the head! In all my searching for 10 1/2" UNfinished block patterns, I never noticed that the pattern for the Chain Link block says 10 1/2" finished! Here I thot I'd made a perfect sized block...I actually had to trim a bit off all around (which is usually not the case). It's an easy block to trim, so don't panic, just make it and trim a smidge off. Thanks Pam for letting me know.

Jean

Is it August already? Well, there goes my goal to get all caught up by the end of July! We'll just make that goal be the end of August! Great blocks, I actually made the second one in my beginning quilting class that I took last year. Thanks for the heads up on the size of the first block - I am sure I would have been confused!

Quote Originally Posted by JayneW View Post
    Is it August already? Well, there goes my goal to get all caught up by the end of July! We'll just make that goal be the end of August! Great blocks, I actually made the second one in my beginning quilting class that I took last year. Thanks for the heads up on the size of the first block - I am sure I would have been confused!
    I am in the same boat, need to catch up and slow down life interference. I have several of the blocks cut out, but not sewed. So end of August is my goal too. Love these new blocks, but there hasn't been one yet I haven't liked.

Love these blocks! May be a few days until I get them done...but they will be fun!

Blog Entries
    Ready to get started on these Fun looking blocks. busy the next few days but Sat should be a good day to do them.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post
    WELL, just knock me up side the head! In all my searching for 10 1/2" UNfinished block patterns, I never noticed that the pattern for the Chain Link block says 10 1/2" finished! Here I thot I'd made a perfect sized block...I actually had to trim a bit off all around (which is usually not the case). It's an easy block to trim, so don't panic, just make it and trim a smidge off. Thanks Pam for letting me know.

Jean
    Hi! Was just going to ask about the 10 1/2 finished size and saw the other comments. For me, trimming it down is NOT an option. It will look wrong when its sewn into a quilt, as the chain will be wider in the center of the block. I will try to see if I can redo the math to make it come out right. If it works, I can post the correct sizes to cut the pieces. Otherwise I will substitute another block. Thanks. Janet
    (The average freezer can hold approximately 326 fat quarters - The Guilty Quilter)

I eat, I sleep, I quilt, I eat, I sleep, I quilt... awwwww retirement! I earned it, I deserve it, I'm lovin' it!

I drew the Chain Link out in EQ as a 7 inch block and then printed the rotary cutting instructions as a 10 inch block. There are a lot of very tight cutting instructions into the 16ths.

I believe we can make this block by fattening up our 1/4" seams. We only need to lose 1/2 inch per side. There are 4 seams per side. My math says we need to make our seams about 3/8" within the block to take up the extra. That's 4 x 1/8 inch = 4/8 = 1/2 inch. The outside edge would have a bit more fabric on it. It would 1/4 inch per side. Does this look doable?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    I drew the Chain Link out in EQ as a 7 inch block and then printed the rotary cutting instructions as a 10 inch block. There are a lot of very tight cutting instructions into the 16ths.

I believe we can make this block by fattening up our 1/4" seams. We only need to lose 1/2 inch per side. There are 4 seams per side. My math says we need to make our seams about 3/8" within the block to take up the extra. That's 4 x 1/8 inch = 4/8 = 1/2 inch. The outside edge would have a bit more fabric on it. It would 1/4 inch per side. Does this look doable?
    Yes, it looks doable! I went to BlockBase and came up with a block called Tic Tac Toe that also will work. I have a Dr. appointment early this afternoon. When I get home I will try it. Actually, I think I will try both your block and mine, using different fabrics and see what I get! (I usually use scant seams, so using fat seams will be a challenge for me.) Thanks. Janet
    (The average freezer can hold approximately 326 fat quarters - The Guilty Quilter)

I eat, I sleep, I quilt, I eat, I sleep, I quilt... awwwww retirement! I earned it, I deserve it, I'm lovin' it!

Jan thanks for trying this. I will look forward to seeing your results.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast