Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New Quilting Bee March, 2017

New Quilting Bee March, 2017

Can you believe it’s March already? The year is sure moving on. Seems everyone is enjoying this. There’s going to be some very pretty tops by the end of the year. Keep having fun.

The one stipulation is that when you have made your block, you must post a picture(s) in order to be in the next month. The blocks will be 10” finished.

This month's blocks have been chosen by Chasezzz (Karen). Thank you, great patterns.

We welcome new participants. Just send me a PM or post on the New Bee for the month and I will make note that you would like to join. I hope that everyone who wishes to join, stays with us for the year. Even if you have to play catch-up, one block is all it takes to stay in.

http://www.quilterscache.com/B/Broke...tionBlock.html
    http://www.quilterscache.com/S/Strip...aresBlock.html
    Last edited by Oksewnsew; 03-01-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Oh boy...more little half squares, lol. I'm in, will master this one some how too. Great blocks.

LOLO Practice makes perfect, so they say..

Just got home from California and itching to sew! These blocks look great & I like Quilter's Cache for ease of directions!
    Dotty in NYC

when you get to pick the blocks for the month...you can get sewing early! Here are mine, again using the FQ set I have been using for all of my blocks.
    Name:  marchblox.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  66.6 KB

Chasezzz, Such pretty blocks you choose and made. It will be fun deciding what colors to use and do. Weekend project.

AnngelAnn...I purposely picked one block with no HSTs or FG!

I have mine on machine... Gotta rest a few, snack on a piece of Coconut Cake....

This is my first attempt at his block. I have been trying to use up batik scraps so many of the fabrics I chose tend to make this block look different. Mmmmmm...coconut cake!!! JanName:  MVC-888S.JPG
Views: 1213
Size:  34.2 KB

Boy, ya'all are so fast.. I'm beginning to think I could post a new block a week and it'd make ya happy...hahaha Glad to see you enjoying the blocks so far.. Very pretty choices of prints too. MMMMmmm, the cake IS good...

Nice Blocks Chasezz and Cheeshead. Hope to get started on mine at least pick fabric tonight.

I love coconut cake it's my favorite. Eat a piece for me.

Well, that made me feel better, I only looked at them this morning when the thread was first posted and to see some already done and looking terrific sure got me going. Now I know why you are done so fast, but what a great job you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasezzz View Post
    AnngelAnn...I purposely picked one block with no HSTs or FG!
    You purposely did a good job, lol, I'm up for the challenge and now I have yours to use for an example.

That second one strips and squares would look cool w/ the strips ombre'd light to dark (dark outside to light inside), then ombre the background dark to light (dark center to light outside). I need to see if I have an ombre that changes in the right length of space.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Nice blocks Chasezzz and Cheesehead!

Also, thanks Chasezzz for your selection of blocks.

Connie
    Last edited by retiredteacher09; 03-01-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    That second one strips and squares would look cool w/ the strips ombre'd light to dark (dark outside to light inside), then ombre the background dark to light (dark center to light outside). I need to see if I have an ombre that changes in the right length of space.
    I guess you best start with the second one and do this idea of yours. I am not following it well and think I need a visual, lol. I love seeing what people come up with, it takes me a month of Sundays to figure out patterns and color schemes.

Just finished the second block and I am not happy with my fabric choices. May have to ditch the idea of working with the batik scraps to a more uniform fabric pattern. JanName:  MVC-889S.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  35.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    Just finished the second block and I am not happy with my fabric choices. May have to ditch the idea of working with the batik scraps to a more uniform fabric pattern. JanName:  MVC-889S.JPG
    Sorry, I don't happen to agree with you. I think it is a striking block. It looks very good to me. So carry on, you are doing well!!

Thanks Anngel!

Jan

I think the block is fine. It looks like you might be disappointed w/ the lack of contrast. I think if you made the small squares out of the dark fushia fabric and the narrow rectangles out of the light print, the contrast would be more striking, you might be happier w/ it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Jan, I like the block, but think it might be better if the light was the background fabric (center of all squares) and the two fabrics closer in tone were used for the "frames." I did another block in my group of fabrics that didn't have the "celtic knot" look either because of my choices of fabric position. Made the block look totally different...not bad, just different!

Thanks for the input Kassaundra and Chasezzz. I agree, there wasn't enough contrast and I'm sure that's why I was somewhat disappointed in the result of the block. I'm not giving up, I will try to do this block again with hopefully better results. Jan

Name:  IMG_20170302_091359188 [1024x768].jpg
Views: 324
Size:  227.9 KB This is for you Jean, yep, we had snow.

Thanks for sharing - . Just enjoy it for me.. I think Winter just flat forgot us - trees are leafing out, roses are fully leafed, Jonquils blooming, Bradford Pears are almost through blooming, some already turning green!! "HEY, Nature, it's tooooo early for all this green!!"

Blog Entries
    Oh yes a block a week would be good for me!
    women can't live on chocolate alone they must quilt

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast