Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/new-york-beauty-quilt-along-begins-oct-1st-t199410.html)

SulaBug 11-05-2012 12:15 AM

All of these new blocks are looking fabulous!! :D I have already finished & shared the first two block sets with everyone earlier in this thread. Now I have started the two blocks for November & have three of the first set done. Hopefully I will get the fourth one done soon & start on the second block set. When they are all finished, i will post a picture & share with everyone. Keep up the great work ladies, you are doing so good!!
:D :D :D :D

QM 11-05-2012 01:31 PM

I love seeing what people are doing with these great patterns!

My first Mariners Compass was a bit over a year into my quilting career when a quilty friend's DH, who was terminal with cancer said he had always wanted one. I Had a terrible time with the background for my next several MCs. Now I cut the pattern using an Xray film template and do as was suggested earlier, pinning the center only and sewing from there to the sides. As I saw on a Simply Quilts show years ago, the background is on top, held loosely elevated, shifting as I go.

I'll have to start a bit later as I have several "have to's" to get out of the way first.

roseirish48 11-15-2012 11:42 AM

i still plan on joining in. I added a twin size quilt to my list of things i needed to accomplish first. It is on the frame and have only three borders left to quilt. The queen size has blocks sewn together waiting on the borders. Soon as I get it on the frame (hopefully next week),i'll be able to sit back and do NYB. Plan on using only black and white fabrics but may throw in a dash of color if i feel it is needed. will post again once I actually start sewing these NYB blocks.

sweet 11-18-2012 07:42 AM

TIP: Cut the "outer piece" as one piece instead of 2. This might take a little more fabric, but I like that I skip the extra seam. I have both taped em together (don't like to iron with tape) and have re-copied the piece. Hope this is helpful to someone.

nygal 11-29-2012 05:24 AM

Everyone's blocks look great!!:thumbup:

efayard 11-29-2012 06:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My latest blocks. Some came out better than others. Hopefully pressing will make them look a little better.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]379164[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]379165[/ATTACH]

efayard 11-29-2012 06:45 AM

Sorry guys, didn't mean to make the phots so large.

amh 11-29-2012 10:21 AM

Your blocks are stunning.

I am plugging away at mine, but life got in the way of quilting, so I'm going to use December to catch up a bit (I have some time off work then).

No one has posted for a long time, and I was wondering if people were still working on them. I was so glad to see your post, and I personally don't think your photos are too large.

Love your colours.

amh

nygal 11-29-2012 10:36 AM

Your blocks are beautiful.

kristen0112 11-29-2012 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by sweet (Post 5664958)
TIP: Cut the "outer piece" as one piece instead of 2. This might take a little more fabric, but I like that I skip the extra seam. I have both taped em together (don't like to iron with tape) and have re-copied the piece. Hope this is helpful to someone.

This is what I do too. I tape them together. I didnt' think about photo copying the finished taped piece I have been taping all four, not so bright I know.