Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/orca-bay-mystery-quilt-along-t168935.html)

brookemarie19 11-19-2011 06:22 AM

I can't wait! I am going to try to get some of these done this morning (but with 6 kids running around it might be a impossible lol)

betsymjeff 11-19-2011 06:46 AM

I have done lots of Bonnie's mystery quilts. I hope to get started on this one today. I just love her quilts and she has such good instructions.

Sadiemae 11-19-2011 08:29 AM

I looked in on the yahoo group. One lady already had 75 hour glass units finished last night. She is fast!!!

SaraSewing 11-19-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae (Post 4697981)
I looked in on the yahoo group. One lady already had 75 hour glass units finished last night. She is fast!!!

not me, I work, I cook, I clean, I enjoy my family. . . .

yayaquilts 11-19-2011 09:18 AM

OOPS! I posted this on the "Pictures" thread so thought I'd post it here too since this is the "chat" page. Sorry to be redundant to those who have read this on the other page. I'll get it right soon!!

I'm still a bit undecided about colors. I have started cutting for the first part, and boy is it a LOT of cutting. I don't have precut strips of any width so have decided to cut squares first (3 1/4 x 3 1/4"), using blacks and neutrals, like Bonnie. I did sew one to measure for accuracy, and it came out right on!!(I was wondering if Triangulations did QST too. Hmmm, thinking of buying that!!)

We leave, tomorrow, for a week of camping with family for Thanksgiving, so doubt I will get much done till after the holiday. Have fun fellow quilters and have a very happy Thanksgiving!!

catmcclure 11-19-2011 09:24 AM

If you start off making 3-1/2" HSTs, you can make them fairly quickly. Then, if you cut them in half you have 2 QST. It's a lot easier to handle making the 3-1/2" HSTs than starting out with the QSTs. You end up in the same place eventually, but the road is less bumpy.

Sadiemae 11-19-2011 09:25 AM

Karen, Have fun camping! It is about 20 degrees here, I think I will stay inside.

SaraSewing 11-19-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure (Post 4698150)
If you start off making 3-1/2" HSTs, you can make them fairly quickly. Then, if you cut them in half you have 2 QST. It's a lot easier to handle making the 3-1/2" HSTs than starting out with the QSTs. You end up in the same place eventually, but the road is less bumpy.

Are you quick with math? What size square do we cut, to cut it in half, to make a 3 1/2" HST???

Emma S 11-19-2011 09:33 AM

I started the QST yesterday. I am using the square method, although I totally cheat by cutting it 3.5 inches than true the block to 2.5 inches. I am undecided on what my two main colors are going to be but since the beginning is neutral I'll decide when I have to. Thanks Coyote for doing this. I have never done a mystery quilt. Really excited.

COYOTEMAGIC 11-19-2011 10:23 AM

Bonnie made a comment on my Facebook post that her RED is the predominant color of the quilt. I was using yellow instead of red but am going to switch my yellow with my purple.

I got my rulers. Realized when I started using them that all the triangles I cut yesterday don't have all have a 1/4 seam allowance :thumbdown: Oh well. Good thing I have lots of scraps!!