Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along >

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 PM

Cool Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Hi ya’ll! Welcome to the Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along for those who are working on Bonnie Hunter’s Orca Bay Mystery Quilt. Everyone is welcome to come and play along with us!!!

This thread will be the "homebase" for our Quilt-Along. Setting up a "Group" didn't work out a a viable option, so we are going to hang out here to chat, share pointers and encouragement, and cheer each other on. Remember Bonnie's rule! NO WHINING!!

I will be acting as your host through this journey, any questions, comments or conflicts can be addressed to me through a p.m.. If you can’t reach me Sadiemae has agreed to help me out as we take this step as the first Quilt-Along for the new Quilting Board!! I know you will find her very knowledgeable and helpful. Patrice J. will be lurking in the background to boink me in the head if ya’ll misbehave really badly.

Introduction to the Quilt

Bonnie has written a wonderful introduction to this quilt on her website.
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/orca-bay-mystery.html

Ground rules and Guidelines

As much as I dislike “rules”(boy do I dislike rules!) it is necessary to lay groundwork so that we all understand up front what to expect and what is expected so things can run smoothly. Please take the time to read the guidelines set forth here.

1. Be kind, there will be No Flaming. This is a very friendly, encouraging and supportive group. Be patient, please keep in mind that there are those participating here with a wide range of quilting skills from the novice to the master and every level between. We want this to be enjoyable for all.

2.All copyrights will be honored and protected.
The only link that will be posted for this mystery quilt is listed above. Bonnie will be removing all access to this ystery in May 1, 2012. It will be coming out again in her new book due out July 2012.

Because we wish to respect Bonnie Hunter’s (the author's) efforts to create this quilt, as well as any contractual obligations she has to the publishers of the commercial products, we will not permit uploading of the PDF files of this mystery quilt. That decision is based on ethics and because it is much safer from a legal perspective than trying to guess what would or wouldn't get somebody or everybody - including Bonnie - successfully sued.

3. This is not a swap it is a Quilt-a-long. This means you are making your own quilt. Therefore you can choose whichever fabrics you like best.

Share your pictures at Orca Bay Mystery Quilt Picture Sharing Thread so everyone can see what we are up to:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t168881.html
Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

Awesome!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:19 PM

Awesome! Thanks Coyotemagic for all your work in getting this set up. I can't wait to get home next week to start pulling fabrics and get started on this quilt.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:29 PM

I just found this tonight, and it sounds exciting. I need to get creative again, since my slump last winter. I think I"ll go gather fabrics. . . . . quiltville has the BEST patterns around! (I love scrappy)
Old 11-18-2011, 08:57 PM

I'm game!!! But I can't start until after thanksgiving... Is that ok?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
I'm game!!! But I can't start until after thanksgiving... Is that ok?
Sure you can jump in anytime. The links will be up until May so we have a while to get this done.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 PM

I think this is going to be lots of fun ya'll. I've got to run and see if I can pick up a smaller cutter tomorrow. All those little triangles are hard to cut with a large cutter. I don't have the rulers either been cutting the triangles with a little square ruler with 45* marks. Takes a few minutes to get going but if you can get a rythm they roll right one off.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Power Poster

I don't have the ruler either, but it works fine to do it with squares.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:03 AM

​I'm using the Triangulations Software. I get 24 QST per page.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:10 AM

Woo hoo! Can't wait to get going with this one. Tanks for getting the ball rolling