Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Rhonda's Sampler Quilt Along - Week #1 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/rhondas-sampler-quilt-along-week-1-a-t56442.html)

ljs317 07-29-2010 04:25 AM

love this! count me in!

Rhonda 07-29-2010 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Newby0709
Here's an unpressed block.

Love it! I really like your fabrics and color choices. It really is great contrast! So what did you think of the process? And negative feedback is just as important as positive feedback so be honest. If I can improve my teaching or methods I am happy to hear all feedback.

Rebecca VLQ 07-29-2010 08:08 AM

^^^Couple things, Rhonda:

If you were doing a scrappy, would it be ok to take a 2.5" HST and rotary cut corner to corner? Because you'd still have 2.5" sides, right? If you had 4 HST then you would have 8 QST to start a Boston Block. Do you end up "off" somehow by doing it that way?

And, I've got a whole ton of teeny triangles now, cut from the scraps from my daughter's tube quilt, so YAY! I was actually "cleaning" yesterday! :lol:

Rhonda 07-29-2010 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
^^^Couple things, Rhonda:

If you were doing a scrappy, would it be ok to take a 2.5" HST and rotary cut corner to corner? Because you'd still have 2.5" sides, right? If you had 4 HST then you would have 8 QST to start a Boston Block. Do you end up "off" somehow by doing it that way?

And, I've got a whole ton of teeny triangles now, cut from the scraps from my daughter's tube quilt, so YAY! I was actually "cleaning" yesterday! :lol:

As long as your swatch is slightly larger than you need then you are ok no matter how you cut your swatch. So yes I have figured out to save waste you can use an HST cut corner to corner. I use a lot of leftovers and they are a triangular shape alot of the time. It just needs to be a little bigger than your template needs. I sometimes also will have a piece that is short just a hair or up to 1/8" where the corner of the template is going to sit. As long as that shortness still allows for a seam allowance of at least 1/8" that will hide in the seam allowance and will not be a problem.

Sheila Elaine 07-29-2010 06:07 PM

Found this yesterday. Thanks Rhonda & this is great to do your methods for a whole quilt of different sizes. I'll be watching for updates.

Ladybugnana 07-29-2010 06:15 PM

I'm in. I had sent for the templates quite awhile ago and have been afraid to work on them. I will give this a definite try. Thank you for doing this. It should be fun!!!!! :lol:

sandpat 07-29-2010 06:15 PM

Hmmm Rhonda...great idea! I'll have to watch this one growing as I still have my Jane in the works...but I'll enjoy watching! Ya'll have fun!

PennyG 07-29-2010 10:14 PM

Rhonda,
I would like to try a block in both the 6 1/2" and the 12 1/2" blocks and then decide which size blocks I will be doing. Please could I get the templates for both sizes. I will PM you my information.
Thanks,

Rhonda 07-30-2010 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by PennyG
Rhonda,
I would like to try a block in both the 6 1/2" and the 12 1/2" blocks and then decide which size blocks I will be doing. Please could I get the templates for both sizes. I will PM you my information.
Thanks,

Yes I can send both.

Rebecca VLQ 07-30-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
As long as your swatch is slightly larger than you need then you are ok no matter how you cut your swatch.

:oops:

Well, now I've found the "create a sense of order" blocks for my scrappy quilt. They all ended up too small, so the solid 1/2 of the Boston is bigger than the QST side. Heh. They still look cool, but they are not perfection. I just keep cutting away and practicing though. I'm learning a lot with little risk, since it's scraps.