Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/stash-buster-scrappy-mystery-quilt-mini-train-ride-t209515.html)

wolf3349 12-31-2012 06:05 PM

I think I want to go for a train ride also.I,ve got way to much scraps to get used up. This should be a fun quilt.
Now to get to sewing up those 9 patches. I,m way behind you all as I just found this last night.
Happy New Year to everyone.

jaba 12-31-2012 06:25 PM

You're not behind wolf we all just started too! Maryt no rules, do what you want, scrappy or organized scrappy. I usually do mine in strips, then cut and sew back together. Do at least 1 every year of fabric I had left from the quilts I made. Never done 1 in squares before so here I am. Just threw them all in a bag, shook it all up and just grabbed and sewed. Truly scrap...

Elisabrat 12-31-2012 07:19 PM

I recently bought a book on scrappy quilts. It stated that true scrappy is to put things allin a bag and pull and sew no peaking or rejecting just pull. I also note however that every single quilt they showed in that quilt were controlled. My comfort is more of controlled say all blue reds creams and blacks no orange or yellow.. I used pastel next to rusty colors and afterwards truly dont care for it. If I start again its going to be more organized. Marybeth go with what makes your eye happy. go find three scrappys you love right now. dont think just pick tht one and that one.. then slow down and check it out controlled all different shades of these four colors? or is it random you name it it has it.. there will be your answer on what you like most. I am putting faith into this one Judy it seems is rarely wrong so she says scrappy I am saying ok girl i believe you :) now that I think of it Ihave oodles of time to do both and see what happens an experiment on my own! I am going to I have all the right squares cut for the first one and the first nine true scrappy blocks done. I dont own orange scraps or yellow scraps which is why you didnt see them in the other blocks. I guess I got the more subdued ones. So I am going with my original plan.. six color blocks different fabrics.. radiating colors.. that is what the goal is. sorted my fabric earlier today I can do that pretty well.

irishrose 12-31-2012 07:32 PM

maryt, I have no answer for you, just an opinion, but it seems to me it wouldn't be scrappy if we paid attention to the scale and color value. I am disappointed in the charms I pulled. Kind of dull - not enough large prints, IMO. I may have to cut a few from yardage or FQs - Ouch! When I did my middle daughter's scrappy quilt, I did stay to purples, pinks and aquas with some yellow, but not this time. I do like a scrappy with some solids or blenders to tie it together and I think Judy has that covered with our A and B fabrics. All the blocks posted so far look good.

New Year's Eve again already - where did 2012 go? 13 is lucky around here. I had a daughter on Friday the 13th years ago so it's a nice number, IMO.

Pam H 12-31-2012 07:45 PM

I controlled mine somewhat by alternating lights and darks for pressing purposes. I wanted my seams to nest. Not that this made all my seams perfect. Some are, some aren't. LOL

createfourpaws 12-31-2012 07:46 PM

since I just found this thread, I need to pull some of my scapes and see what i can come up with. I will start this after I get the quilt I have to finish and get binding on for mom to finish up for me so I can deliver on wednesday night.

Happy New Year and I pray each one of us has a grand year.

happyjunker 12-31-2012 08:09 PM

I've been cutting squares and rectangles for the last couple hours. I checked in to see what everyone's color choices are. I have never done a nine patch, scrappy, or mystery quilt, so this is definitely a first for me. I'm assuming there is not a right or wrong way to choose colors, patterns, etc, that is why it is called scrappy, right? I'm along for the ride... don't plan to jump train, just checking in to make sure I am on the same route as all you other experienced quilters. Tracy.

Pam H 12-31-2012 08:13 PM

No rules, Tracy. Whatever makes you happy.

montiealma 12-31-2012 09:11 PM

I am on board with all my scraps, scissors and my Elna Grasshopper. Love all the blocks and I am looking forward to Saturday for the next clue.
Wishing everyone a HAPPY, HEALTHY AND BLESSED 2013...HAPPY NEW YEAR. Montie

wolf3349 12-31-2012 09:27 PM

Just finished except the pressing of the blocks--not even a dent in my scraps and I did up 16 blocks.I think I just might have enough scraps tp do up 50 more( lol).