Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/stash-buster-scrappy-mystery-quilt-mini-train-ride-t209515.html)

JJane 12-31-2012 09:56 PM

OK OK hold the train....I'm coming Looking forward to unload some scrape bins tomorrow

JJane

frustratedquilter40 01-01-2013 01:37 AM

I am in! Still not done with Judy's last mystery but oh well. I had participated in a swap with 5 inch charm squares and received 240 different fabrics some ugly some not so no 2 fabrics alike in mine definately out of my norm but love the idea of throwing caution to the wind. Got the fabric all cut and all my 9 patches are sewn doing the large one so 12 (9 patches) done just need pressed will post pics later. Happy New Year !!!!!!!

SunlitenSmiles 01-01-2013 02:40 AM

Happy New Year !

meanmom 01-01-2013 04:52 AM

Well I didn't count my squares but I think they are all cut. I started sewing them last night. They are all in strips of 3. It was killing me cutting them I have tons of fabric from yard sales and that was given to me. It just isn't me. I am a batik kinda girl. Not a single batik in this quilt. I am making the big one to use up some of my fabric. It is totally scrappy I am pretty sure I have all different fabrics. I threw them in a box and just pulled them out and sewed them together. Some of the colors I sewed together almost burned my eyes the don't match so bad. Hopefully I will finish them up today. DD and SIL and grandson leaving town today and need to take the tree down.I have to go back to work tomorrow. Everyones quilts look so good.

islandwiz1 01-01-2013 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy 2013 Everyone! I started with 6 blocks and decided on 12. Not crazy about the matches but it is scrappy.

paintmejudy 01-01-2013 08:15 AM

Happy New Year, everyone. Let's make this the best one ever.

Glad to see all the new faces. Createfourpaws, wolf3349, happyjunker, and montiealms, welcome. Glad to have you aboard.

Nice blocks posted this morning. They will all look so nice.

Marytodd - as far as I know, scrappy means just that - scraps. I too use the so-called paper bag method. The only thing I do is, if I pull a duplicate of a square already sewn into the 9-patch, I pull a different one.

Some of you are second-guessing your choices, please don't worry. Don't forget, you are looking at a 9-patch sitting all alone and lonesome, and when it is all put together, you will be happy with it. I've made a couple dozen scrappy quilts, nost of them 40" x 60" for charity, with other lap size to king and haven't dislike the results of any of them.

Eliza said she bought a book on scrappy quilts - didn't know there was such a thing. Be interesting to look at it, just to see what they say.

Jaba - what a great idea, use up scraps once a year so they don't accumulate and overwhelm your sewing room!

Irish, and others who said the same thing, I agree with your opinion on scrappy.

Wolf - I figured the king I'm making needs 36 of the 9-patch plus an undetermined-as-yet number of 2-1/2 x 4-1/2 -- I think this should make a huge dent in my box of 4-1/2" squares!

cannyquilter 01-01-2013 08:15 AM

Hi, love to join you all aboard the train. i have never done a mystery quilt nor a scrappy and have a lot of WIPs so should not really but hey I have challenged myself to try new things this year so here we go.

paintmejudy 01-01-2013 08:18 AM

Oops, missed JJane and frustrated quilter, and cannyquilter, too, glad to have all of you involved in our mystery.

Canny - one can never have too many WIPs. :D

irishrose 01-01-2013 08:18 AM

Happy New Year, y'all. I think my matches are terrible and I don't care for some of the fabrics, but it is scrappy! I think I'm going with the bigger size - 54 didn't make a dent in these charms. I have learned not to buy charms online, but I need to use these I purchased two years ago when I started quilting.

islandwiz1, your picture is small, but it looks good to me. Meanmom, if I like this quilt, I'd like to make another in batiks. It just has a batik feel to it to me.

Off to take a bath then back to the sewing machine. The baby quilt looks good, the mystery looks like a mystery at this point.

Shadowirish 01-01-2013 08:22 AM

Started cutting my squares last night,but I think I'm going to have trouble coming up with all different fabrics without cutting into FQ's. and solids...is ok to use solids?