Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/stash-buster-scrappy-mystery-quilt-mini-train-ride-t209515.html)

jmoore 01-01-2013 12:13 PM

I don't have a 'stash' to speak of as I have only purchased fabric for projects I am actually working on, but I was surprised to find enough "left overs" from previous projects that I might be able to pull this off.

I have never done a mystery quilt so I am looking forward to hopping on board the train... besides, it will be a nice break from the tumbling blocks quilt I am trying to finish for my youngest son's graduation present. (I could choke him for picking this pattern when I am such a 'beginner' quilter.

paintmejudy 01-01-2013 02:10 PM

Beautiful quilts, Jaba.

frusted and quilting krazy - pretty blocks

JMoore, amazing, isn't it, how scraps can accumulate so quickly. That why I had said last month when I was planning to do a stash buster, it would really only be a stash buster if you made a quilt to cover a football field.

LUANNH 01-01-2013 02:13 PM

Judy--I'm in started to pull out my scrapes but got sidetracked will get back to cutting squares.

Caroline S-- Thanks for the carrot marmalade recipe.

Everybody's blocks look great, I see some of my fabrics out there.

Cream Puffs in the dining car for all to enjoy.

frustratedquilter40 01-01-2013 02:17 PM

So true Judy a truestash busting or scrap buster would need to be as big as a footbll field. Ha Ha Ha :D

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 5755119)
Beautiful quilts, Jaba.

frusted and quilting krazy - pretty blocks

JMoore, amazing, isn't it, how scraps can accumulate so quickly. That why I had said last month when I was planning to do a stash buster, it would really only be a stash buster if you made a quilt to cover a football field.

meanmom 01-01-2013 02:45 PM

I have my blocks finished.I will post later or tomorrow. It killed me doing totally unplanned scrappy. I have a hard time with that. I did the large version and have sooooooo much fabric it didn't even dent it. I though I was going to die at some of the colors I was sewing together but laid out of the floor it looks OK all together. It has been a good experience for me so far. I usually use almost all batiks and there isn't a single batik in this one.

SunlitenSmiles 01-01-2013 02:51 PM

you are all doing great..... I have my box of charms out and am pressing the most promising candidates...do not know exactlly when the box was tipped on its' side...grrrrr......so will post before to long....actually found a stack of 2 1/2 squares that I do not remember.....too bad we only need 4

frustratedquilter40 01-01-2013 02:51 PM

I have batik scraps too but left those out as I want to do a scrappy batik quilt in the future. I know some of my fabric choices were ugly but I did a swap of what was I thinking charms and used those so there are only 3 or 4 squares that came from my stash scrappy is hard forme too but the more I watch and see Bonnie Hunters scrappy style it is growing on me :)

cat-on-a-mac 01-01-2013 02:54 PM

frustratedquilter40 -- I had the same problem with batiks. It was hard to keep them from creeping into my 9-patches! I love them so much. I didn't totally succeed in keeping them out - they're like mice!

marytoddliz 01-01-2013 04:15 PM

Thanks for all the input, I was just curious. My blocks are all over the place, but I think I am going to like it. The last job I had ended up with lots of scraps of wool, so now I am going to try and do one of them also. But working with wool kills my hands, I am allergic, I tried wearing rubber gloves but the thing that works best for me is just doing the work in small allotments of time.

Looking forward to the next clue! Does anyone have the recipe for Lemon raspberry oatmeal squares? I had it at one time and can't find the recipe! My hubby is the cook in our house he told me if I find the recipe he will make them!

It uses Gluten free flour and fresh fruit (if possible) with no sugar, just honey! I know I have seen that recipe but still looking!

whitepine 01-01-2013 05:48 PM

Jaba, love your scrappy quilts. Especially the first one. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Caroline for the carrot marmalade recipe.
Elizabrat, I hope you do both kinds of scrappy. I think it will make an interesting experiment.