Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Quilt block of the month for March, 2007 - Blazing Arrows - Instructions & Discussion >

Quilt block of the month for March, 2007 - Blazing Arrows - Instructions & Discussion

Quilt block of the month for March, 2007 - Blazing Arrows - Instructions & Discussion

Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 AM

Carla since you don't post much you're entitled to be long winded. I like the idea of doing different things. I for one have stayed away from applique (it scares me). But maybe I need a little push to make me do it.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 AM

That's a GREAT idea!!! (I LOVE SCRAPPY!!) I have decided on Batiks... I'm not sure if I have enough (LOL), so I think I'll run by the quilt shop. :lol:
Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 AM

Thanks; I really appreciate that. Y'all are so kind here. I only know one person who loves quilting as much as I do & she lives 2 hours from me. Plus, she recently retired, so she & her husband are always gone. So again, thank you.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 AM

I bought per set 1 soild and 1 print in colors of green, red, yellow, and blue. All I need now is 8 more sets but I have plenty of time to look around.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:07 AM

carla, we're so glad to have kept you interested, and glad you decided to speak up. i'm not in on the BOM right now due to lack of time and i [b]promised hubby that i would finish the 4 i have going now before i start another, but.................... i too need to be pushed to try new things out of my comfort zone. i've tried a little applique but don't have anybody around to say yes that's it or "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING" i just might jump in on something like that even if i don't do the whole quilt right now.
good to hear from ya
Old 03-13-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Carla P
Call me odd, but the # 13 has never freightened me, & today is the 13th, so if you don't mind, I'd like to join the list. I have been reading the forum since day 1, I just don't post much. (I usually read from my desk during lunch or a quick break.) I love the way y'all worked out the "picking order"! Great team work!! I have a question I didn't see addressed . (BTW, shorter threads are a good idea!!!) I know the skill levels vary quite a bit for the members of this forum, so my question is... Are there any techniques or skill level we should avoid or, by contrary we should tackle to help share expertise and encourage skill advancement? (the latter has my vote.) I have found over the years, I tend to avoid learning new techniques until I absolutely HAVE to, which is usually when I've bought all of the fabric for a super-king size quilt & feel QUITE obligated to see it through. For example, I learned the curves of a double-wedding-ring after purchasing a zillion fat quarters, the precision of paper-pieced New York Beauties by (basicly) paying the light bill for my local quilt shop in exchange for a half yard of EACH batik in the building, and applique by, yep, you guessed it... Baltimore Album- I loved the idea of brights on black, so I bought the entire bolt... just in case she didn't order more. Yes, I admit freely, I am a fabriholic. But my logical explaination is... #1- I work to support my habit; #2- I am investing fabric into my stash bank for retirement. (I have actually instructed my husband where it is to go if I die before I can use it all, although I guess I could put it in my Will- so it doesn't end up in a yard sale or worse... as dusting or oil rags!!) Ok, I'm off topic. My original point is, some of us, either through such little spare time, lack of someone experienced enough to help us learn, or whatever reason, sometimes need a push. However, I'm ok with keeping it simple if y'all prefer it that way. Majority Rules! Oh, & I'm sorry I got so long-winded. :oops:
You must definately be talking about me. I'm right down there at the bottom of the food chain (ah, skill level). BUT....I'm willing to work at any level. That's how you learn, by getting challenges. (and speaking of challenges!: I have a bday cake going out tomorrow and it is an online video game I've never heard of and can't get a good pic even googled it! That is a big challenge. My wedding cake in Nov was the biggest cake challenge so far). I'm up for any skill level. I know I have help. Right? ;)
AND btw, 13 is a good number! I always have the best days on Friday the 13! I guess it's all what you make of it.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:25 AM

WOW!!! Y'all are so COOL!!! Thank you for being so kind!! YES!! You will definitely have help!! I'm not sure how to send a PM, but if you (or anyone else here) want to email me the name of the video game, I'll see if I can help you out. (I have teens!!) My office email is [email protected] , & my home email is (don't laugh- my husband made it up) [email protected] .
Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 AM

Carla, I agree with everything you put in your post. I like a challenge every once in awhile. My latest is learning to hand applique. Argh!

My first paper pieced project was just such a challenge. I was frustrated at times. When I finished I noticed the pattern said it was for "someone with paper piecing experience!" Not quite advanced but close! But I did it!!!

I have to brag here now... I measured my Blazing Arrow block yesterday after I'd posted it. I want you all to know that it measured a perfect 12 1/2" without my stretching, ironing, trimming or anything! It's a first!!! I have never ever ever had this occur before in my quilting career! I must have learned something along the way now!!! Ta-daa!!! :D Don't ask how I achieved this perfect block because I have no idea! It will probably never happen again. But I am so proud to have one perfect block!!

Carla, I've added your name to the list. We don't let anyone have a chance to change their minds around here. Kathy's name is just waiting to go on soon, I'm sure!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:06 AM

Block-of-the-Month

1. Misty56 (Blazing Arrow, March, 2007)
http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BlazingArrowsBlock.html
2. PatriceJ
3. Country Quilter
4. Ruth Camp
5. Norah
6. Mimisharon
7. Marcella
8. Debbie Murry
9. Yvonne
10. Tim
11. Miranda
12. Tricia
13. Carla
Old 03-13-2007, 12:27 PM

I know this is off topic, but I was telling Carla about the dragon I'm going to try to do, but I don't know if you can post a pic in a PM????
so, I'm going to try to post it here. Runescape. I don't know anything about it. I think after this cake, I might even hate it!
wish me luck. :!: :!: :!: :!:

the runescape dragon I'm going to try to put on a cake. Maybe I'll get to that BOM, maybe not.....hmmmm....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57982[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-57982.bmp