Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Rhonda's Sampler Quilt Along - Week 12 >

Rhonda's Sampler Quilt Along - Week 12

Rhonda's Sampler Quilt Along - Week 12

Old 10-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

Can you believe it - we have been doing this for 3 months!! So here is Week 12!

This week I am showing you 3 quilt blocks that I consider Hybrids because they each use two differant blocks.
One has HSTs and Bostons. The other two each use both the Combination Square 4 patch blocks and Kansas Dugouts. I hope you enjoy them!

As always you will find the Blocks here in the VS:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1020

And you will find all of the weeks here in the VS:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1017

Once you learn to make the Blocks it is easy to piece the Blocks into the Quilt Blocks. So don't let the intricate looks of the Quilt Blocks intimidate. A beginner can do these!! It is all straight line sewing and sewing squares together. Nothing difficult at all.

I do hope when you get some of the Quilt Blocks put together that we get to see some pictures of your Quilt Blocks!! Thanks Everyone for following along!!!

Bonnie Layout
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94646[/ATTACH]

Elena - Combination 4 Patch Squares & Kansas Dugouts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94901[/ATTACH]

Elena Layout
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94902[/ATTACH]

Bonnie - HSTs and Boston Blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94903[/ATTACH]

Erma - Combination 4 Patch Squares and Kansas Dugouts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95055[/ATTACH]

Erma Layout
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95197[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-94641.jpe   attachment-94896.jpe   attachment-94897.jpe   attachment-94898.jpe   attachment-95050.jpe  

attachment-95192.jpe  
Old 10-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Because of you Rhonda I can now look at a block a see the way it was put together. I always used to wonder how on earth quilters could do that but I wonder no more. Thank you for all your hard work putting these tutorials together.

I can't print these out my printer ran out of ink. LOL. Oh well a book mark will work for now.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Because of you Rhonda I can now look at a block a see the way it was put together. I always used to wonder how on earth quilters could do that but I wonder no more. Thank you for all your hard work putting these tutorials together.

I can't print these out my printer ran out of ink. LOL. Oh well a book mark will work for now.
Thanks cjomomma that is exactly what I have been trying to show. I want people to realize the intricate looking quilt block isn't always hard to do. If you just know the tricks of the trade you can do alot more than you think you can. That is one of the reasons I decided to do the Sampler. It gives me a chance to prove my point that my methods make them easy to do. And once you know how to do my methods you can look at traditional quilt blocks like Card Trick and you can "see" the possiblity of using Boston Blocks and HSTs to make a quilt block that has been around for a long time. All you need is the ability to see how to break it down to easy to make squares.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Rhonda

Thanks cjomomma that is exactly what I have been trying to show. I want people to realize the intricate looking quilt block isn't always hard to do. If you just know the tricks of the trade you can do alot more than you think you can. That is one of the reasons I decided to do the Sampler. It gives me a chance to prove my point that my methods make them easy to do. And once you know how to do my methods you can look at traditional quilt blocks like Card Trick and you can "see" the possiblity of using Boston Blocks and HSTs to make a quilt block that has been around for a long time. All you need is the ability to see how to break it down to easy to make squares.
It is definitely working with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are no more secret's anymore!!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda

It is definitely working with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are no more secret's anymore!!!!
I'm really glad you get it!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Power Poster

Nice work!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 AM

These are SO WONDERFUL !!!! Like the way you "broke the quilt down" into different squares so we could see your 'plan'.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 AM

I've started my sampler quilt, I have 3 squares cut out, and I'm having so much fun with them. I don't know the order that I've been working on, just the ones I can do with the rulers I have. Did learn that on the Boston Blocks that have the three different material in one square, that it does make a difference which way you sew it together to make the design you want. Have made a couple mistakes, but will keep those blocks for something else.

Was wondering if you have been sending out your templates yet.

I also agree with cjomomma, every quilt I look at now, I look to see what the little blocks are that make the design.

Thanks for all the fun Rhonda!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 AM

Thank you!!! I am going to bookmark this also.I may try it with a red ,black and white choice of fabric.I love the pink and black one.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

thanks everyone. Yes we are always sending out templates it is just that we are processing 50 to 70 at at time and it takes time to get more supplies and then to cut and glue on the grid and score the templates. We have about 70 that will be going out yet this week. So anyone who has been waiting more than a week or so should see theirs in this next batch. I already have about 30 new requests from the last week and a half that we will get to next. I am hoping to get ahead of the game one of these days and be able to send them out when people ask for them. Until then I hope you are all patient with us as we try to catch up here.