Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: "Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Well ... I think you would notice it if not when you were still piecing, shortly after. The color change flipped the colors on the last log and the border. IOW ... the log wouldn't match it's right angle partner in color.
    Yup ... something I would probably miss ...... I tend to look at the pictures, and ignore the directions!
    I know .... baaaaaaaaad me!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

It does make you wonder if no one else has looked at it to do or has done it wrong; very sharp, DHM, to catch that error and help all of us out, to stay on the right path in making that block. Let's hope that is a the only err in all of their blocks that we are going to be doing.

Played around a bit with some batiks and brights I have. I think you could use lots of fabrics on this quilt and keep to a color scheme. I may change this out and add or take away along the way. I'll show both pictures-one with the bright blue, which I like on my table, but thought it might not be right as I looked at the photo?Name:  IMG_5831.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  226.0 KB
    Last edited by jillnjo; 08-13-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    jillnjo

Here is the second photo without the bright blue and I would use the cream batik for the background.Name:  IMG_5833.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  262.5 KB
    jillnjo

Blog Entries
    Actually jillnjo I'm wondering if that lower blue with the dots might be too gray. Although I like the yellow and rusty red dots in it. JMHO. I can see the bright blue in small doses to add a little punch to the block.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Actually jillnjo I'm wondering if that lower blue with the dots might be too gray. Although I like the yellow and rusty red dots in it. JMHO. I can see the bright blue in small doses to add a little punch to the block.
    JillNJo ... me-thinks we have OKSGlad hooked as a Spiker and not a lurker. Agree?

Blog Entries
    Now what gave you that impression? Are you reading between the lines?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Ok, the fabric does look kinda gray. Everything in the pictures looks some different from the true colors. I am just going to start off on the first block and then add new fabrics as I go. I plan to use lots of the soft batiks and may need to pick up some more prints at the store to round it out well.

QuiltE=methinks she is quite possibly hooked!
    jillnjo

JillNJo ... Yeppir!!!!!!!!!!

OKSGlad ... Face it ... you are hooked!

JeanieG ... That brings us to #49!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh dear QuiltE - I just have 45! Thought I was keeping your list up to date, darn!

Fabric is looking good JillNJo! What fun to get started!

DogHouseMom - thanks for the correction on the Design #3! I've corrected my copies - no sense in reprinting them.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Thanks so much for catching that mistake and letting us know, DogHouseMom!!!

Love all the fabrics everyone is choosing!

I have some large pieces of red/red&white print, gray, black/black&white print, and a variety of yellows. I've really been liking the black, white, & red that GrannyQ and JanR are getting in their MB and I think I can get enough variety so that there is enough contrast in each block. It will be a challenge but I would really like to use up this fabric if I can and I think I can make it work. May need a couple of FQs to get some shades of gray. I've another couple of weeks to make a decision. A couple of finishes before I start this!

My PP sew group is going to do this among ourselves also. Looks like lots of fun.
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Great fabric choices everyone. Ggal, I made the first block and I noticed (and this is just my very humble opinion) that large prints didn't work very well. I'm determined to use only fabrics from my stash and had some very pretty combinations with large prints. By the time you cut the small pieces in the blocks, you've lost the print. I think I'll save the large ones for the setting triangles. Fussy cutting may have worked. Again, just my input for what it's worth!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Nelco, have your pp group join us here and post theirs as well as yours. More the merrier!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
    Nelco, have your pp group join us here and post theirs as well as yours. More the merrier!
    Ditto, I was just going to post the same thing QNS!!!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN View Post
    Great fabric choices everyone. Ggal, I made the first block and I noticed (and this is just my very humble opinion) that large prints didn't work very well. I'm determined to use only fabrics from my stash and had some very pretty combinations with large prints. By the time you cut the small pieces in the blocks, you've lost the print. I think I'll save the large ones for the setting triangles. Fussy cutting may have worked. Again, just my input for what it's worth!
    Exactly what I thought after looking at the patterns.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Thanks, Jan and OK. I welcome your opinions. My original plan was to use the large print for the corner pieces just because they would get lost in the cutting. IF I go with the black/white/red/yellow all of those pieces have small prints. This is on the back burner and simmering as I complete a couple of other things. Still a couple of weeks to start cutting....all the patterns are printed.

Yes, I mentioned by Rainbow colors, but leaning toward Red, white and blue spin on colors now. Will see.

You do not want to see my fabrics lol. I have made 9 quilts since the beginning of the year and I have one massive bucket full of scraps, so I guess you know what I will be using for everything from now on lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirabs_dd View Post
    Lol mum... Just wanted to point out, the fabric from honcheys second photo are actually from MY stash... They're the fabrics I'm doing dear Jane with... Hahahahaha  Beautiful fabrics honchey!!
    And I was going to do Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, cause we cut the FQ's in half, and shared !!!!!!!mmmmmmmmm
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
    Honchey... did you realize that your top fabric is from the Mirabelle group? That's the focus fabric on a UFO i need to get back to. It's quality, beautiful fabric reminding me of someone I have come to know and love!

welcome to everyone. Do you think we can make it to 50 Spikers? Round numbers are good.
    Aww shucks
    Karen

Well, I made one-half of the first block today! I love how it is coming together. It is lots of pieces per block. I decided to cut 6 of each piece (one for each section) at the same time and I numbered each stack of 6. I figured out the size and shape of each piece and then they were ready for the other 5 sections and they went together quickly! It seemed better than having to figure each shape on all six sections. Make any sense?
    I agree that large prints won't work well, unless you use them on the larger outside pieces. Not if you are hoping for the design to show anyway.
    jillnjo

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good plan jillnjo. I picked out fabrics last night--does that mean I'm committed or need to be committed?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I will post for them .[QUOTE=JeanieG;6234182]Ditto, I was just going to post the same thing QNS!!![/QUOTE]
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast