Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Blog Entries
    just got a perm. so i can sew more, and not have to worry about my hair. sooooo glad this train had a beautician on it. off to put the borders around the edge.
    judy, 4 x 6 blocks. what size do you think i'll end up with? a queen? how many blocks are you planning on, for your king? thx

Thanks just wanted to make sure it wasn't a misprint.

I really like the one with black and white.

Good morning, all. Wow, busy bunch yesterday afternoon! Every one's quilts are terrific, would have a hard time chooisng my favorite.

Moonwork- welcome aboard! Your blockss are looking' good!

reesky - love your color combo

cat on mach - Ahah! Someone doing multi stars - love it. My king with multi stars is put together and since I strip quilted, I have all the one side done, need to go back and do the other. It is done with stitch in the ditch technique but using a serpentine instead of a straight stitch..

masufa - sunlite is correct - four 2-1/2" squares.

sunlite - don't be coy, girl, you know what they are! (giggle)

gretchen - for the king I'm doing 6 of the 16-1/2" blocks wide by 5 long plus the extra star pieces and this coming Saturday's clue. I think I figured it will measure out to be 90 x 110. I don't have it to fit over the pillows, just pull to shoulder height like a blanket.

moonrise - bold and beautiful, love them

paulo - pretty in pastels.

sewnso - absolutely no clue as to exact size you will have, just figure on 1-1/2" per 6" block to the length, so if it is three of the 16-1/2" blocks long, that would be about 13-1/2" additional length, and 9" on the two block side
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries
    Judy, I'm curious about your quilting pattern. You say you're using a serpentine stitch along the seams... Are you leaving the big sashing sections (12/4) unquilted? I'm thinking of doing some form of grid, maybe 1" apart on the diagonal. But something other than a straight stitch might be fun ...

Pretty sure I know what step 3's going to be, but I'll hold off until you post it. I've got another quilt to finish FMQ on, which will keep me busy in the meantime.

Thanks for keeping this train rolling!
    Cathy

I have been having such a hard time deciding on the A and B and so I thought I would just sit back and spy on everyone else's. Give me some ideas. So I have decided on the different colored stars so now I have to get the other color in my brain.

I sleep until 9 because I go to bed at 2 o3 in the morning. By the time I get up, go on the computer, take a shower, get dressed it is noon time. Then clean up the house a little and then I sew. Maybe I should cut out the shower, dressing and cleaning house and just have a jammie day.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Blog Entries
    urgod's--- didn't decide on my A & B until after i had my 9 patch's done. i'm sure lots of us decided then. my mistake. my quilt is 4 x 5. and i decided to leave it at that size. LOL.

Cathy -- I am quilting on every seam, so it is at 4" apart. My serpentine is a #4 stitch on my Bernina 430, shown in the picture. All the rows one way are done, need to go back the other way.

I really like it, it holds down the seams and you don't have to be so precise with stitching exactly in the ditch, which is great especially when moving such a huge quilt around. I use this stitch with all my charity quilting.

And to those who have asked about my size for a king bed, I just threw it on the bed and wish I had made it a bit wider. Another row of 5 of the the 16-1/2" blocks would have been perfect. Need to figure out if I want to take the one side apart and add another row. (The OCD will probably kick in and will add it.) Idid it 6 wide by 5 long, and the length is perfect hanging over the end of the bed, but seems a bit skimpy on the sides. Should have made it 7 x 5 blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Judy, I really like that serpentine stitch! Too bad my featherweight doesn't do it.

By the way, don't think I've thanked you for all you do with these mystery train rides. I've done these last two and had a blast. Can't wait for the next one!

you're more than welcome, mom-6 - I probably have had more fun than is legal with these mysteries!

If I could only do just one, life would be so much easier...it was after 2pm here, personally I need to switch to decaff after the fourth pot of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    I did all the cutting yesterday and started sewing but the nap queen came and hit me on the head and well its as far as I got. I went with a patterned flower for the stars and it truly makes it scrappy looking. I LOVE moon's black with whitestars now that accents the scrappys big time like really warm colors stand out. If I didnt have cats that would be a marvelous way to go. Cats=no black fabric. unless I want to roll it all day long to catch it all. sigh I do like black fabric too.

to the person who said decaffe coffee are you funny. THATS NOT COFFEE. I have one cup a day but its Ponyexpress coffee which is high caffeine. double the regular caffeine. NOW that is coffee. Before you go saying ah ha that is why she is so hyper you see dialysis kicks my tail. I would be so tired its not funny napping 20 hours of every day without it. I wish I could have four cups but that is twice my daily allowance of fluid so I have one. And its a good one. I will gladly share your belgan chocolates however. I think those sound so good right now with this hot cup of joe. oh yeah two of those and I could go sew. I am intending to.. but want 10 more minutes just to wake up. and wish I had more coffee!

Judy, The quilt has not had the horizontal stitching done yet just the vertical, correct?

Well, I had no place to hang it up for pics today. My design wall is already full. I wasn't sure about the sashing colors I chose but I'm liking it the more I look at it.
    Name:  mystery-quilt-2-2013.gif
Views: 455
Size:  208.3 KB
    Carol

I've decided on a black muslin for the stars, and a light brown muslin for the strips. I hope to get started cutting tonight. We've got my daughter, two week old grand daughter and 4 year old grand son here with us this week. I'm helping her with the kids as she is still getting over the C-section.

I can't wait to start cutting tonight! I've got to run to town, laundry to do, Chicken Parm to make, but my goodness I want to cut some fabric and start sewing!!!

I've been looking at the other quilter's that have their choices cut and sewn, and I am having a great time seeing how they are coming together. What a fun train ride!

Quote Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
    Wow, it took me so long to read thru everything that it timed me out and I had to sign back in. I really needed this train ride. I didn't join the last one because I had to finish my fighter jet quilt, which was well received. And I am not able to do this one as I just lost my father and am trying to get things together from that. So you ladies and all your comments and chatter and pictures have been a blessing for me today. I will follow you all and see what the end results are of all the beautiful pictures I have seen so far. Nice work.
    So sorry for you loss. I lost my mom at Christmas time a few years back. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

nine patch blocks and the start of clue 2

Thanks for the super mystery trip Judy!! I am having a blast, this is only my second mystery quilt. The first was in a magazine and I swore I'd never do a mystery again, it was so not my cup of tea. All the blocks were the same, boring. I love scrappy so this is just perfect for me!
    I saw that another passenger is making her quilt as a grad gift for a GS. Me too! We have 3 grandsons graduating this year and I always give the hs grads a quilt. I set a goal at the end of December to make one grad quilt a month during Jan Feb and Mar, so this couldn't have come along at a more perfect time.
    My nine patches were cut mostly from backing trimmings, I usually make pieced backings so the trimmings are pretty scrappy.
    I decided to make the turquoise " flying geese" as folded triangles rather than stitched and flipped. I used this technique on a quilt I make last year as was happy with it. It relieves the guilt of not saving the trimmings for the scrap pile and also allows for placing the points a bit higher on the sashing so that the center of the "geese" doesn't disappear when the cornerstone is added to the sashing.
    I decided on the pieced scrappy cornerstone because I didn't have enough of the turquoise mottle fabric. I barely had enough to make the points, in fact the last 6 don't quite measure 2 1/2", but because of the folded technique I can easily fudge it.
    Sorry to ramble on so, I've really enjoying this ride and I am just amazed by everyone else's colors and pictures too. Can't wait for clue 3!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Cathy -- I am quilting on every seam, so it is at 4" apart. My serpentine is a #4 stitch on my Bernina 430, shown in the picture. All the rows one way are done, need to go back the other way.

I really like it, it holds down the seams and you don't have to be so precise with stitching exactly in the ditch, which is great especially when moving such a huge quilt around. I use this stitch with all my charity quilting.
    I can't tell from the picture ... did you use invisible thread?
    Cathy

Yes.

And I know myself too well -- have started on five more 9-patches, and will take apart some of it to get the new stuff to fit in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
    Judy, The quilt has not had the horizontal stitching done yet just the vertical, correct?

No, a cream colored thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac View Post
    I can't tell from the picture ... did you use invisible thread?

Blog Entries
    Oh my! How lovely these are! Well my train is a bit derailed at the moment. ugh! I was going for the scrapy stars in different colors. WELL... dummy me failed to read destructions carefully and didnt plan to change color os star points on each large rectangle. SO out comes the seam ripper! And I was on Such a roll sewing everying together last night. The old saying.... if it to good to be true it usually is....! oh well no biggie I'll get back on the right tracks tonight!
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

oooo QKrazy, I'm so sorry -- I thought the picture showing how I planned for the point placement was self explanatory, but guess not. I hate ripping!

Blog Entries
    I'm running ahead to the next station - will use up the 2.5 by 4.5 rectangles in the way I think they are planned - let's see if I'm right. I need to get back to a quilt that is in process of quilting and need it finished by end of the month, so if I'm wrong, well, I came up with my own design - see, Judy, artistic license! I designed it that way!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Everyone's quilt looks wonderful. It always amazes me how different the same pattern can look. I have finished clue 2. I am doing a small one for Project Linus.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Everyone's quilt looks wonderful. It always amazes me how different the same pattern can look. I have finished clue 2. I am doing a small one for Project Linus.
    How neat! Looks like the 9-patches are floating among the clouds!
    Cathy

Florence, I love the Linus quilt you made, those fabrics are great.

Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast