Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Blue Light Treatment" -- guess where I am? >

"Blue Light Treatment" -- guess where I am?

"Blue Light Treatment" -- guess where I am?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 AM

So... my dermatologist recommended I get this photodynamic treatment on my face - it is supposed to kill precancer cells ... I have to sit here with this chemical on my face for 2.5 hours (1.5 more to go) then under a blue light for just under 17 minutes. THEN... I get to stay inside for 48 hours and look like a bright red lobster... I guess after that I will look like a peeling monster for a while :( I am told a good side-effect is my skin will look nice and fresh after. Has anyone else had this done and if so, what was it like?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 AM

I'll be watching to see the response. I visited my dermatologist recently and got the liquid nitrogen treatment. It left me spotty for a week or so where he froze the lesions.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Oh I had that once on my leg. I had a basil cell on my face which was scrapped off and this is the follow up.
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I'll be watching to see the response. I visited my dermatologist recently and got the liquid nitrogen treatment. It left me spotty for a week or so where he froze the lesions.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by yolanda
So... my dermatologist recommended I get this photodynamic treatment on my face - it is supposed to kill precancer cells ... I have to sit here with this chemical on my face for 2.5 hours (1.5 more to go) then under a blue light for just under 17 minutes. THEN... I get to stay inside for 48 hours and look like a bright red lobster... I guess after that I will look like a peeling monster for a while :( I am told a good side-effect is my skin will look nice and fresh after. Has anyone else had this done and if so, what was it like?
ok in the house for 48 hours isn't so bad just think about all the sewing you'll be able to do!!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Blue light...how interesting. I'm into color treatment after seeing what they did with newborns in the hospital where I volunteered.
Am considering getting a bunch of crazy quilting colored glass for a south window. It has a marvelous view of the side of neighbor's garage.

What did the doc tell you the blue light was for? Or didn't he explain?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 AM

Thought you were at Kmart! LOL! Just kidding. It had to be better than the Effedux treatment I had(used it for 2 wks. and then another cream for 2 wks. to cool it off). It was the most painful experience I've endured lately. Couldn't smile or anything...felt like face cracking. Good luck with this and use a sport sunscreen as you don't sweat as much under it. Glenda
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM

Isn't blue light the bad area of town, where the girls by the hour hang out?? LOL

SORRY! Cancer is no laughing matter. I had a growth on my eye lid that was removed, turned out to be cancer. Now every six months, I go to the dermatologist to get checked. Once a year a full body check, not fun. the second time,just areas normally out in the sun. I always wear sunscreen, glasses and now hats to keep the skin on my eyes and face shielded from the sun. I hate hats, so I do it in protest.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Isn't blue light the bad area of town, where the girls by the hour hang out?? LOL

SORRY! Cancer is no laughing matter. I had a growth on my eye lid that was removed, turned out to be cancer. Now every six months, I go to the dermatologist to get checked. Once a year a full body check, not fun. the second time,just areas normally out in the sun. I always wear sunscreen, glasses and now hats to keep the skin on my eyes and face shielded from the sun. I hate hats, so I do it in protest.
No, that is called the Red Light district.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:57 PM

Sorry you are having to endure this. I hope your next two days pass swiftly for you with little discomfort. Sometimes they tell you to expect worse than it actually is. Prayers to you.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:05 PM

My hubby's sister has to get all sorts of treatments because she has skin cancer. She was going a lot for awhile, but now maybe every 6 months?

She's got the most beautiful skin of anyone I know, between the sugeries, chemicals, peels, etc etc etc. One time she had a LOT of pain afterward and the office gals were very unsympathetic. Treated her as-if she was getting beauty treatments, and not cancer treatment. "That's the price you pay for beauty..." one said when she called, she knew something was wrong. So unkind. I'm sure there WERE folks just going in for vanity's sake, but STILL!