Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Life Alert" Phone Solicitation >

"Life Alert" Phone Solicitation

"Life Alert" Phone Solicitation

Old 09-27-2011, 01:50 PM

This happened in Philadelphia this summer. Someone called a restaurant asking if they had a security system. After replying they did not need one, they were robbed & the owner of the restaurant & some of his family were killed.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:04 PM

In our area last summer there was some going door to door saying they were selling systems. They approached my husband who was outside and asked him if we had one and he said "Isn't that what the signs in the windows and yard says?" The guy then said " Does it still work if your power goes out?" My husband who is a conceal carrier said "yep, and so does my 357 (he patted his pocket) and so does our 4 dogs that live in the house with us, that's them looking thru the gate now." (2 boxers and 2 random breeds)
The guy said " Guess I'll be on my way." and left.
Later I saw our neighbors son outside and told him, he thanked us and said they thought they were scammers and had already been warned about not having a permit to go door to door. He is our cities assist police chief.
Didn't see them around here anymore!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 PM

A few days ago, I was coming home and stopped at our mailbox (live in the country, boxes are at the corner of our road and the main road). There was a car on the side of the road about 50 feet from the boxes. When they saw me, they flashed their lights at me a couple of times and then drove up slowly. They said they had car trouble and it would be 1 1/2 hours for a service truck but the two women ( in the back seat) really needed a bathroom and did I live close.

They looked okay. Older couple with a younger couple. But our place is more than half a mile off the main road which would have meant me transporting the ladies both ways. I said I was uncomfortable with that, and pointed out that they were within 300 feet of 3 other residences. I am sure that I was in no danger--but...

I hate that our world has come to this.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 PM

Sometimes we might find such callers funny, most of the times annoying and sometimes entertaining too. But in cases with the <samp id="url"> Life alert</samp> systems, and in similar cases, we must always be very much careful. As in these case, they might be dangerous. Whether they ask or not, we should all have life alert and or medical alert systems in our houses. Accidents never knock before coming.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 PM

Thank goodness for caller I'd! I dont answer if irony know!!! Listen to answering machine!!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
A few days ago, I was coming home and stopped at our mailbox (live in the country, boxes are at the corner of our road and the main road). There was a car on the side of the road about 50 feet from the boxes. When they saw me, they flashed their lights at me a couple of times and then drove up slowly. They said they had car trouble and it would be 1 1/2 hours for a service truck but the two women ( in the back seat) really needed a bathroom and did I live close.

They looked okay. Older couple with a younger couple. But our place is more than half a mile off the main road which would have meant me transporting the ladies both ways. I said I was uncomfortable with that, and pointed out that they were within 300 feet of 3 other residences. I am sure that I was in no danger--but...

I hate that our world has come to this.

I think you dodged a bullet on this one. Two women in the house with you sounds like a classic scam - one distracts you while the other rummages around and steals.

I think I would have pointed to the nearest clump of trees and offered some Kleenex. Hey when you gotta go, you gotta go.