Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
2 New Scams to be aware of - Microsoft and IRS >

2 New Scams to be aware of - Microsoft and IRS

2 New Scams to be aware of - Microsoft and IRS

Old 09-03-2014, 09:15 AM

I got a Microsoft tech support call telling me that the last time I was online, that my computer had sent a "request for update" signal, and for $149 they would immediately send the "required" patch. I let him tell me all the reasons why I " must" have the patch right away, and " If I delay accepting, the price would be nearly double". When he had stated all his reasons why I had to hurry, (I let him talk for nearly five minutes), I giggled and informed him that I had a Mac, and it would never send a message to Microsoft! Once they start finding you a real "time waster" they stop calling you. I used to do phone sales and nothing is more irritating than a time waster! Lol!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:30 AM

I got the call from IRS Heather and it was a recording. She left a number and so for giggles I called it back. This mail box is full! Imagine that! Then Steve from the IRS called and he could barely speak English. Another recording, call the number and again the mail box was full. I wonder why they bother since you can't seem to reach anyone. For the scam to work don't they need to talk to you??? Stupid criminals.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:39 PM

I just got a new one on Facebook I want to warn you about. If you get a Facebook friend request, from someone you know is already a friend, it is a scam, your 'new' friend will tell you about getting a large sum of money from Mark Zuckerberg and UPS and all they say you have to do is 'friend' some one who has a page full of stolen pictures of previous prize winners, but if you look closely some of the pictures are publishers clearinghouse winners! Report them to Facebook! Do not friend the other page!