Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
50 year old christening outfit >

50 year old christening outfit

50 year old christening outfit

Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 PM

I also like BIZ to whiten items. I usually soak overnite.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by mountain deb View Post
Several years ago I tried Cascade dishwasher detergent and it worked like a charm. I poured some (1-4 tablespoons) into very hot water to let it dissolve COMPLETELY, try liquid Cascade and skip the dissolve method. Once dissolved then add cold water to make about a gallon of mixture. Soak overnight.
Doesn't Cascade contain bleach? Most dishwasher detergents do.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM

My local Wal-Mart carries fels-naptha.

Originally Posted by tanderbear View Post
My gandmother and mom, still uses a bar soap that is called fels-naptha. Made by the Dial company....it is great for stains....you get the garment wet, then work the soap into the stains....great whitener also....on delicates, I get the garment wet, then just work the soap onto my wet hands (small amount) then work the area in my hands...that way you only get a small amount, but can add more, and you are not directly applying it to the cloth.....it is a bar soap...their 1-800-258-3425 or their website...http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...purex.com...my grandmother says the ingredients have not changed since she started using it...many many years ago...with a wash board....(which I have now as an antique). Good luck
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 PM

I remember years ago this stuff called laundry bluing/whitening ?? It was actually a deep blue liquid. Anyone know if it's still available? It did work pretty well at cleaning whites without bleach.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 AM

If it doesn't come out blazing white, remember it is an heirloom and for that reason, it will be perfect.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 PM

My grandmother gave me a beautiful gown for my first child, things be tuff when we were first married, I used it for all 5 of the kids. When they had kids, it just was not what they had in mind to use, but my friends daughter said she would love to use it. Boy time goes fast, that friends daughter is now a grandma and her children used it for all of their kids, but then 2 were Christened on the same day! What to do, well it turned out O.K. One baby wore our dress and the other wore her fathers dress and wouldn`t you know, it was identical to the other dress. A mirical!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:13 PM

To restore vintage white fabrics before putting them in my antique booth, I soak them in a mixture of hot water, Cascade (original, granular type) and regular Dawn dish detergent. I also used this mix to soak my sons' baseball uniforms. They complained because they said their bright white uniforms made them look like "bench sitters" before the game. I ignored that and told them to play so fans would know differently once the game got going. I got this tip from Martha Stewart years ago. Many of the antique linens I've used this soak on were embroidered with lots of colors. The soak never faded the colors.

Last edited by MillieH; 09-18-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM

Several years ago I watched an older woman on a tv show say to soak your treasures, especially baby clothes in Dove dishwash and water. She promised it would not harm the clothes and would come clean......Of course I had to try it on a baby dress I had saved for 48 years and it worked!!!!!

Good luck!

delma
Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 PM

My dad was born in 1906 and I have his Christening gown. The fabric is intact but it is very yellow. I also have the pair of long stockings but no shoes. The fabric is just like a regular cotton, unlike the imported cotton batiste that many people use today.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM

These hints on cleaning vintage christening outfits are most welcome! Now, can anyone tell me how to get the odor of cedar out of clothing? I have a couple of items stored in a cedar chest and would like to use/display them again.

Thank you!