Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Acryllic Nails - how long have you had them? >

Acryllic Nails - how long have you had them?

Acryllic Nails - how long have you had them?

Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM

I have had them for over 20 years. I get a fill about every three weeks. Never have had any problems. I figure it's cheaper than doing anything with my hair (tint etc) and I can see the finished product all the time!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 AM

I had gels for 10 years and now acrylics for 12 years. I've never had any problems with either. They are my one indulgence as my own nails are weak, thin and tend to peel. I have the pink and white french manicure so I don't mess with colors, etc. Love them. The only think I can't do with them is play the violin......
Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 AM

I have never had acrylics - have better things to do with my time and money like quilting ! BUT I use Nail Envy by OPI. Love it. I also use a glass nail file. They are wonderful. last forever (unless you break them !).
My nails are stronger with this product I do treat myself to a massage once a month. love that too.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 AM

I do a lot of cooking at home and I scrub under my nails a lot with a nail brush. Nails are a good place for germs. Most nurses[I'm not one] have to leave nails short and polish off. Grandaughter is a nurse and works in area of transplants and has to keep her nails short and scrubbed.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:38 PM

I had them and loved them! My gal did acrylic with gel overlay. It was great because I could change color if I liked every time I went to her.

My natural nails are so weak and thin (like cellophane) and it felt so great to have nails and not have finger pain. She moved away though, and since five different techs messed up my nails before I found her I do not have them done now. Two days ago I put on the Sally Hanson Gel nails that do not require a lamp to cure. Basically, they are super glue layer with color added, then another layer of super glue and another of the color. I could not do them as instructed, keeping the activator (super glue) away from my cuticles, so I know I'm going to be irritated by yarn and threads catching in the upraised ridges along the edges of my nails.

Long story short -- I bet you will continue to love actually having nails and being able to do stuff without constant upkeep.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I have them and love them! My nails would split, and sometimes tear. Didn't like feeling like I had sore fingers, so tried acrylics, and the rest is history!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
I just got a set for the first time and have had them filled once. I love them! My nails are always pretty, never break, chip, or need filing and I have so many compliments on them. Yes, it's a bit expensive but so is fabric .

Anyway, my question is for those of you who have had them, how long have you had them on? Will you go back to your regular nails? If you have taken them off how have they affected your regular nails?
Acrylic nails are pretty and have a lot of pluses.....Be careful who does your fills....I had acrylic nails once for about three months...I was faithful to have them filled every two weeks....After two months I had them taken off because several nails hurt and I did not know why....When she took them off I had fungus under three of them...
She wanted to treat the fungus and reapply the nails...Needless to say I told her to forget it....I never had them again...I do on occassion wear the glue on nails if I want to have nice looking nails...They only last about a week but that is OK.....I was told that if the fills are not done right you can get moisture under them and that is what causes fungus.....Hope you don't have any problems with yours........Good Luck.....
Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 PM

i have had them for 25 yrs i like light polish so you can see if anything is going on under them
Old 04-15-2012, 04:57 PM

I've had them, and let them fall off. My nails were a complete wreck. They were so thin, and it took forever for nice nails to come back.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:58 PM

I have silk wraps and love them. Your natural nails grow out under the tips and mine look like real nails as the tips are kept at about 1/4" with an American manicure (soft white tips with translucent pink nails. I hand quilt, crochet, machine piece quilts tops and never have a problem with them. I have a fill approximately every 3 to 4 weeks. Would highly recommend silk wraps.