Activa 230

Old 07-21-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Activa 230

I have been having an issue with my Bernina activa 230. The feed dogs do not always want to pull the fabric through. It stalls and the fabric just goes back and forth. It happens more often after I have lowered the feed dogs, when I want to free motion , and then raise them again. It doesn't happen all the time... just occasionally. Also it will do it when I use a basting stitch with the indicator set at 4 or higher.

I call my Bernina store that is 45 miles away. The only shop in the area. The first thing they asked me was did you buy the machine from us. (I bought it at a certified Bernina dealer in Arizona when we lived there)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have done the obvious.... rethreaded, changed bobbin, different thread, different foot.... turned on and off.... Help please I am at wits end.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-21-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: remove consumer complaint
Old 07-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

It sounds as if the feed dogs need lubrication. How to do that at home, I don't know.

As for the store, that's a pretty typical dealership question. Sometimes it's because they offer special pricing or service to people who have purchased from them. If they will take your machine in for cleaning and servicing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: Sometimes you can find a Bernina authorized service technician outside of a dealership. You might ask at quilt shops that are closer to you if they can recommend someone. The dealership that sold me my Bernina many years ago went out of business within a year. I was able to get it serviced at a different dealership, no problem. Currently the closest place for me to get it serviced is a quilt shop that sells Bernina machines.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-21-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:01 AM

Could there be a lint buildup under the feed dogs? Use will compress the lint and oil into a pellet.

Marcia
Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 AM

Call the store you bought it from and ask your questions from them. There is a Bernina dealer in my small city, but I would never ever use them, they switch repair people like I do lipstick. There is a fabulous repair lady an hour away and if you want her name, she would gladly help you by phone, she is just great. Send me an PM and I'll give your her phone number. I call her all the time about questions, she's a sweetie.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:51 AM

You say the problem happens more often after you have lowered your feed dogs and then raise them again when you do free-motion quilting. I would not lower the feed dogs any more. You can free motion quilt by setting your stitch length and width to Zero..so they remain Up but no longer move. This is what I do after reading this tip from Leah Day's website for learning free motion quilting. I also have the same machine as you.

I wish your machine a speedy recovery!
Old 07-23-2017, 06:10 PM

Thx ladies. All very helpful. OK so since I wrote this thread, my machine has worked perfectly...Murphy's law I guess.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:01 AM

Hoooray for you!