Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice for advertising/running a garage sale >

Advice for advertising/running a garage sale

Advice for advertising/running a garage sale

Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by greenini
A lot of folks around here will low ball you on pricing saying "it's a yard sale". You will need to decide if you want to sell things for low prices and get rid of them or if you don't care if you've got them left over. You might do better with a charity sale, I've never run one, but for all the sales I've run, even with nice antiques people will not pay big prices.

I hope this isn't true for you and that you do well. If you can do brownies as well as the drinks, that's always a big seller.
I have lots of "stuff" that I used to use or found didn't work for me. Any money I make is great and will be used for muscular dystrophy research. I am not using the stuff and having extra "stuff" around just drains my energy and bothers me. I won't take ridiculously low prices for things but I don't expect to make a ton of $$. Neighbors are also donating items for the garage sale and will work it with me. I live in a strongly middle class neighborhood and I hope people are reasonable.

Any leftovers will probably be donated to Purple Heart for Veterans...
Old 09-03-2011, 07:36 AM

"I live in a strongly middle class neighborhood and I hope people are reasonable."

Yeah, me too. It didn't work that way for me....but I hope better for you. I live in a large metropolitan area and people were looking for stuff for free...OTOH I havn't done one in a long time and things may have changed.

We always went with *how* people asked "can you do better on the price" or would you consider x for this" was always better then "this is junk i'll give you $.10 for it" (this being say an antique egg beater worth at least $10)... ;)

anyhow good luck with your sale.