Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice please- Shipshewana area Lodging >

Advice please- Shipshewana area Lodging

Advice please- Shipshewana area Lodging

Old 02-19-2020, 01:03 PM

Default Advice please- Shipshewana area Lodging

I'm looking for suggestions for overnight lodging in the Shipshewana area. I enjoy quaint, but am open to other types of lodging.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2020, 03:13 PM

There are 2 large hotels - the Blue Gate Inn and the Farmstead Inn. Very similar, homey not fancy, and near downtown. No restaurant at either one, but both do a breakfast buffet. There are a couple of other smaller motels as well, and I imagine there are "quaint" places but I have only stayed at the two mentioned.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:14 PM

My quilt group went by bus from Waterford, MI to Shipshewana and back to Waterford in one day. We left Waterford at 7 a.m. or 7:30 a.m. Stopped in McDonalds after a couple of hours for a bathroom break 'cus gals didn't want to use bathroom on bus. We had dinner at a town west of Shippy -- can't remember name & think it begins with letter M. If you want more details, PM me because I can't remember the details and need to look them up

Last edited by mjkgquilt; 02-19-2020 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added information.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
There are 2 large hotels - the Blue Gate Inn and the Farmstead Inn. Very similar, homey not fancy, and near downtown. No restaurant at either one, but both do a breakfast buffet. There are a couple of other smaller motels as well, and I imagine there are "quaint" places but I have only stayed at the two mentioned.
Thanks for the information. I'll check out the two hotels you suggested.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:24 PM

Another thought -- send an email to the Chamber of Commerce in Shipshewana. Perhaps they have a listing of restaurants, bed & breakfast listing, motels, etc.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:28 AM

mjkgquilt, the town may have been Middlebury. I grew up in that area, my grandparents farm was about 6 miles north. In a town with under 800 population, all else very rural in each direction and for miles, accommodations are not all that easy to find. I know the motels get booked up in summer months. You might try Howe and Lagrange besides Middlebury and Bristol isn't too far. Goshen would be close to 20 miles. By now there might be a number of motels built by the Tollroad exits for Sturgis and White Pigeon, MI. I haven't been there in many years, but those towns are all still around.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:38 AM

Middlebury is the name of the town and the Das Dutchman Haus is the restaurant where my quilting group ate after visiting Shipshewana. Thank you for confirming the town name.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Needles View Post
mjkgquilt, the town may have been Middlebury. I grew up in that area, my grandparents farm was about 6 miles north. In a town with under 800 population, all else very rural in each direction and for miles, accommodations are not all that easy to find. I know the motels get booked up in summer months. You might try Howe and Lagrange besides Middlebury and Bristol isn't too far. Goshen would be close to 20 miles. By now there might be a number of motels built by the Tollroad exits for Sturgis and White Pigeon, MI. I haven't been there in many years, but those towns are all still around.

Thanks for the information. I'll check out the near-by towns.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:14 AM

TripAdvisor.com lists several hotels for the Shipshewana area. Their site shows hotel rates, photos, and the ratings of people who stayed there:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g...na-Hotels.html