Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice request for Trumpet Vine >

Advice request for Trumpet Vine

Advice request for Trumpet Vine

Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 PM

Oh my gosh, I did not know this vine was so hardy. I just planted one on each side by my livingroom window. Day two the deer have eaten half of each one. Wonder if they thrive here in BC.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

It must make a difference where you live. I have had the main vine for about 18 years and the one baby started about 3 years ago. I know a lot of people who have not been able to grow them at all.

Now Virginia Creeper, that is another story. It is a noxious weed. I think the only way to get rid of it would be to sterilize the ground, and you can't do that because you can't buy the chemicals.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM

[

Now Virginia Creeper, that is another story. It is a noxious weed. I think the only way to get rid of it would be to sterilize the ground, and you can't do that because you can't buy the chemicals.[/quote]

DH mixed a gallon of vinegar, 1 cup salt 8 drops dish soap. It's our new Round-up. Works great on weeds & grasses on our gravel drive. He has been daily, for the past 2 weeks, spraying our Yucca plants. They are dead at last. We just have to wait & see if it comes back. Now that's one hardy plant. Now there's one growing 70 feet away from the original plant. The root system must be huge. I read one way to get rid of it was to move.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Jim

Originally Posted by true4uca
[

Now Virginia Creeper, that is another story. It is a noxious weed. I think the only way to get rid of it would be to sterilize the ground, and you can't do that because you can't buy the chemicals.
DH mixed a gallon of vinegar, 1 cup salt 8 drops dish soap. It's our new Round-up. Works great on weeds & grasses on our gravel drive. He has been daily, for the past 2 weeks, spraying our Yucca plants. They are dead at last. We just have to wait & see if it comes back. Now that's one hardy plant. Now there's one growing 70 feet away from the original plant. The root system must be huge. I read one way to get rid of it was to move.[/quote]

LOL I agree...only way we got rid of ours was dig them up and keep digging them up from our yard...LOL the roots crept into the neighbors yard
Old 09-11-2011, 05:11 AM

Trumpet vine will travel undeground great distances. If I don't mow weekly it springs up all over.
And for tru4uca, get it away from the house, as leatheflea said it will go under siding and anywhere it can cling. Neighbors had to replace a garage roof due to the damage caused.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by magpie
Trumpet vine will travel undeground great distances. If I don't mow weekly it springs up all over.
And for tru4uca, get it away from the house, as leatheflea said it will go under siding and anywhere it can cling. Neighbors had to replace a garage roof due to the damage caused.
Thank you I will move it to the back, where I have a silver lace vine. Three years later it is still only one very long vine, that was suppossed to be invasive as well.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:42 AM

I wish mine would grow. The first frost killed it and I even had it covered.

I am sticking with cat mint and those cool looking tall grass plants.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:45 AM

I think it Pennsylvania trumpet vines are noxious weeds also. They can really take over a place. I agree they are pretty but they are a P. I. T. A. !!!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

I think it must depend on your climate and your soil. It is really dry here. My neighbor even has Sagebrush in his yard. The few days we have humidity, I think I am going to have heatstroke. These are photos of my trumpet vine that I planted many years ago. It has only sprouted the one baby, and you can see by the size of the original vine that it is really large. It is almost finished blooming, so it isn't really pretty now.
The leaves are a clematis, not the Trumpet in the first photo.

The Woody Vine of my Trumpet Vine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254895[/ATTACH]

Trumpet Vine in Bloom
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254896[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-254889.jpe   attachment-254890.jpe  
Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

If the nest is in a place where you can aviod it untill winter do it. You might not have any idea just how poisonous these sprays are. Give me a minute and I'll post some ideas for you from Organic Gardening.
This first one is concerning wasps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5873463_rid-...e-poisons.html

Here is one idea! This one is for yellow jackets. A vaccum and Ice! This is from You bet your Garden.

Q. I’m fairly certain I have a yellow jacket colony next to a tree in my front yard. I was mowing, ran over a hole and got stung twice. I’ve heard you recommend getting a professional exterminator to handle this situation. Is there a firm you would recommend?
---Gary in Northern Virginia
A. Yes, Gary; ANY firm that will vacuum them out of the ground. Toxic insecticides are useless in this situation, as the massive underground nests of these hornets are of a design that sheds liquids off to the sides. (Which explains why they don’t all just drown in the first heavy rain.) So reject any firm that wants to come and spray; there’s a good chance the insecticide they’d use would harm you more than the wasps. If you can’t find an exterminator willing to use a high-powered vacuum, contact your local beekeeping society. Some beekeepers have this kind of equipment handy for sucking escaped feral colonies out of the house walls they occasionally occupy.

And if you’re careful (promise me you’ll be careful!), you can even do it yourself. Drop the hose of a shop vac or an old canister-type vacuum cleaner next to the hole in the middle of the night when the guards will either be deep inside or slow to react. (The cooler the air temperature, the more wiggle room you’ll have.) Then turn the machine on the next morning; these aggressive wasps will attack the hose and get sucked inside. Let the machine run all day—remember, you might need to suck up thousands of the stingers before you empty out the nest. Then plug the vacuum hose with duct tape BEFORE you turn the machine off. Then let the machine sit in the sun for a few days before you open it to dispose of the used-to-be-wasps.

But plug the hole to the nest right after you turn off the machine if you can; the queen will still be down in there, giving birth to new workers every day. You’ll find details on how to do this safely in this previous Question of the Week. This ‘ice and tarp trick’ also works well all by its lonesome when the hole leading to the nest is in an open area; I’ve used it successfully several times

But I had nothing near a clear shot at an open area when a late summer nest became apparent near my front door last month. The main entrance was hidden somewhere deep in the middle of a big planting of massive old ferns, AND the wasps had established a ‘side door’ in the opening where a pair of ancient landscape timbers meet. Clearly, this was a ‘sucky’ job.

Luckily, I have an old beat-up canister vac that I keep around for just such a purpose. It took a few days of repeated vacuuming for a couple hours a day, but I got rid of the entire nest without being stung once. OK—I was stung once; but that was my fault and not related to my sucking up the suckers. It happened when one landed in my hair while I was working in the garden and I brushed it away without thinking.

If you use a canister vac, start with a clean bag to insure the best suction. And then make sure you keep the machine turned ON when you open it up to seal the bag shut for disposal, no matter how long you’ve had it sitting in the sun. These creatures can be relentless, and you need to use every caution possible.

peace