Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice - stained old linens >

Advice - stained old linens

Advice - stained old linens

Old 07-20-2015, 08:45 AM

I have a very old linen tablecloth that was gift from a very dear friend when I left Texas. She had no idea how to get the yellowing out, and neither do I so I will be watching this thread in the hopes of salvaging it. ( when she gifted it, in 2006, her grand daughter was (or had just been, I can't remember which...) the governor of Louisiana. She gifted it because she knew my kitchen is decorated in Strawberries, and it has bouquets of strawberries on it. It would s one of my treasures.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:57 AM

I agree with dunster, and there is another restoratiive wash you can use. Dang, can't think of the name, but you should be able to get it at you LQS
Old 07-20-2015, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Rather than just wash, I would recommend using RetroClean. Cindy Needham (Wholecloth Linen Quilts book) recommends this very highly. You may be amazed at how good they look, and may find a use for them. Cindy makes beautiful quilts from them.
I AGREE with Retro Clean...Used it for a lot of vintage linens and had great results on most stains of all kinds.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I used Resolve stain remover on an old linen napkin. I let it set longer than the 30 seconds. Left it about 5 minutes, threw into a washer with my white under garments. Looked great.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:54 AM

If can't fix it, feature it and tie dye with tea.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:12 AM

Get you some oxiclean and make a solution with it, much stronger than what they call for. I make a solution that almost resembles a syrup and put the linens or whatever has those brownish stains on them and soak them for at least twenty four hours in a bucket of the solution. Then pour the solution in your washing machine, add another scoop of oxiclean some soap (not too much) and wash and rinse at least twice and see if that doesn't pretty well take care of the stains. I have removed stains from old linens for several people as well as myself this way. Good luck

themachinelady
Old 07-20-2015, 11:18 AM

I have some old lace that my grandmother made and was stored in my mom's basement. They were a kind of grey color. I used retro clean and I was amazed at the difference in the color. They also had some rust on them--gone after a good soak. I think you should try to remove the stains before storing them again. The fabric might disintegrate if you don't. One day you might get a wonderful idea and want to use them.
Sue
Old 07-20-2015, 12:00 PM

Thanks for all the advice, lots of things to try. I will let you all know what works in the end.

I agree Susie that one day I may want to use these linens and I'd hate to make them even worse.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:09 AM

here's a tip a lady friend told me years ago, - wash in gentle cycle ,then hang out on the line on a night that has a full moon. an old wives tale that might work- can't say I've ever tried it, might be worth a "shot in the dark" .She sewed and quilted a lot and pricked her fingers a lot (was very elderly) and said this is how she would get the blood out of the fabrics.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by betty32084 View Post
here's a tip a lady friend told me years ago, - wash in gentle cycle ,then hang out on the line on a night that has a full moon. an old wives tale that might work- can't say I've ever tried it, might be worth a "shot in the dark" .She sewed and quilted a lot and pricked her fingers a lot (was very elderly) and said this is how she would get the blood out of the fabrics.
Your saliva will remove your blood easily. No need to wait on the moon! lol