Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advise for NEW empty nesters? >

Advise for NEW empty nesters?

Advise for NEW empty nesters?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 AM

If son's school is only 30 min away -you will not be an empty nester, esp the first semester. You probably need to stock up on groceries! You and hubby can make a list of things to try/learn/do and start working your way thru the list and have fun! When my youngest left for college was when I finally got my own sewing room!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 AM

I have a huge list of things to do when I become an empty-nester! Take a knitting class. Take a sailing class. Travel. Go camping a lot (my kids don't care much for camping, and I LOVE camping!). Buy a motorcycle and drive it to the Grand Canyon. Volunteer more, and not just at the school. Buy a dirtbike and explore the hills with my hubby. Start teaching others how to quilt. Go on more quilt retreats/outings with my quilting pals.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 AM

I only have one child and when she went to college in the fall of 2007 (2 hours away), I was very sad. I was very involved in with her school/sports and then it was all gone :(

I got Blackberry so I could text (my old phon did not have texting) so we kept in touch that way and phone calls. She brought her car to campus after the first semester so we would meet in the middle at least once a month for dinner and to replenish her snack supply.

I started to enjoy the "me" time after the first couple of months, but it was a major adjustment. I started spending more time on my hobbies so that was good.

In 2008, I moved 500 miles away (due to job being moved) so it is harder now. She is a Senior now and graduates in Dec. and has no desire to join us - VA is her home and that is where she wants to stay. I miss her, but we talk daily and I fly her up here every 6 weeks or so.

My advice is enjoy this new time that you have and "find" yourself again. I love being a mom, but I also love not having the daily responsibility any more. I used to have to make dinner every night and now I can skip if I want to. Little things that I have come to enjoy - less laundry, quie house.

Maybe you can set up a monthly lunch/dinner with him and that will be your special time. Good luck! Meghan
Old 08-17-2011, 08:21 AM

I'm getting ready to be in the same boat; except my house really will be empty. My youngest daughter, her boy friend and my 5yr old grandson and my 5mo grandaughter all live with me so I'm really going to be an empty nester. It'll be the first time to be really alone; I've been raising kids for over 40 yrs and then last week my soon to be ex decided he liked the bottle to much so that ended a long marriage.

I think it'll be great. It'll take me a few months just to get the house the way I want it. My daughter will only live a few miles away and I know I'll see her and my grandkids several times a week. I want to start doing things for me instead of for everyone else. Of course; first I have to figure out what I want but that's part of life. I'm already starting on my Christmas gifts that I can now do without fear someone will see what I'm doing. Worse case scenero; I'll get a 2nd job for the 3 days I have each week.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 AM

One word of advice "ENJOY" ....
Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 AM

After your sadness is gone, you will enjoy the quiet and the time for yourself. Believe me, it won't be so bad; because he will return and usually with plenty of laundry to keep you busy during his visit and sometimes with friends. You always miss your children; but learn to be happy that they are happy.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 AM

This is the time you and your husband need to really communicate. It was just the two of you before the children. You always knew it would be the two of you after the children left. Work on your marriage before it becomes just you alone. This is a great time for a second honeymoon. Make a bucket list of things you want to do and get busy on it. You have probably been a strong woman facing problems in previous years. Be strong now.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR
ENJOY LIFE! BUT DON'T WALK AROUND IN YOUR TEDDY.

WATCH OUT - HE MAY DRIVE HOME AND SURPRISE YOU!
LOL!!! We have them all out of the house now but two of my daughters live here in town within walking distance. Sometimes they just drop by!!! We love having them over but need to be "careful" cause they have keys and will just walk in whenever they pass by! But we can go a couple weeks with none of them coming over as well!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Enjoy it while you can. He will be back.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 AM

We have begun experiencing this to a degree. My stepdaughters have been gone for about 11 years. Our oldest daughter has been gone three years. This past year each of our two sons have been gone for 8 weeks at a time... I missed them far more than I thought I would - I think it's a good way to ease into empty nesting - for us! :) In four years when the youngest will be 18 we'll see how prepared I'll be - my husband is already not looking forward to it - says we'll run out of things to say to each other!!NOT!! That's exactly what I wondered about when we first started dating :) -