Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Blockhead
Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
I'm 28.
I realise that I'm one of the younger people on this forum, but honestly I think it so cool that there are older folks who are just as computer savvy and up to date with technology to be able to keep up with the younger generation.
My grandmother could barely work a remote control for the TV, nevermind telling it apart from the one for the VCR. I guess I automatically assume that older people can't be bothered to keep up with technology and I was pleasantly surprised to find how many people here are of that generation and just as capable as the rest, and with more experience on the subject at hand than I!
Lol - guess which generation were young when home computers came to be? Guess which generation played with them, programmed them and improved them? Who were in their 20's & 30's when VCR's were invented?

I got my first PC over 25+ years ago and have used one almost daily ever since. I introduced computers & the internet to my kids, who are now older than you are.

But then again.....I still mess up on that damm mobile phone!

Cheers & hugs
I'm in my fifties, and we didn't have any of the modern stuff like computers, vcr's etc. in our house, when I was a kid.
If we had those things, we would not have been allowed to use them.
So a lot of ppl my age have inhibitions and just plain, no patience for the electronic gadgets.
OTOH, those things were in the house as my children were coming up and they weren't discouraged so, they didn't develop inhibitions about them. They weren't afraid if they pushed a button to learn what it would do, afraid that the sky was going to fall down...so they pushed here and there, and when they got a good result, they remembered it. The parents were impressed and proud of themselves for having such smart kids.
The over 40's set, has as much intelligence for these machines as anybody else, they just have so many things they feel they must get done, they never developed the patience, and usually there is a kid...a grown one that comes by, or a grandchild visits and we don't have to learn.
I will say this: It seems to me, that some ppl are just better 'wired' for the gadgety things. I like the study of electricity and I like fiddly fabric things, but somehow, never developed much confidence with machines. It's a lack of interest. I don't watch tv or movies, so I just don't really care, until my grandbaby is here...and then,...what do I need to know for? lol!:wink:
Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 AM
SC

I'm 55 TODAY & proud of it! After having breast cancer & wondering if I would see another birthday I look at things a lot differently now. Now I'm so thankful when they come around every year! It's all in how you look at things-sometimes you just need to change your perspective!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:20 AM
cjc

I will be 53 on my next birthday...Not so bad.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 AM

I'm not ashamed to admit I am 68 years old or young, whichever, and I will be married 50 years the 12th of February.

I don't feel I have aged, but hubby has!!!! WONDER WHY? :lol:
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM

I love being in my senior years, 69!!! Especially considering the alternative. I had cancer when I was 36 and have appreciated the gift of life ever since.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:26 AM

I'm 50 now and hope to make it to retirement age. The way things are going, it'll be another 25 years before I can afford to retire. :lol:
Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 AM

If you'd asked me that 15 months or so ago I would have told you how much I dreaded my upcoming 50th birthday in July of 09. But in Dec of '09 I was diagnosed with stage four primary peritoneal cancer, and didn't think I'd live to see my 50th BD. Now I'm cancer free and couldn't be happier to be in my 50s. And now I have this wonderful new hobby and all these creative bursts that I never had before so I am extremely happy and proud to be a member of AARP! 8-)
Old 01-05-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon - NC
If you'd asked me that 15 months or so ago I would have told you how much I dreaded my upcoming 50th birthday in July of 09. But in Dec of '09 I was diagnosed with stage four primary peritoneal cancer, and didn't think I'd live to see my 50th BD. Now I'm cancer free and couldn't be happier to be in my 50s. And now I have this wonderful new hobby and all these creative bursts that I never had before so I am extremely happy and proud to be a member of AARP! 8-)
Sharon ~ congrats on being cancer free - hip hip horah!!!! What part of Charlotte do you live in? I'm your neighbor to the east, over in Stanly county.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:08 AM

I'm 61 and proud of it. To prove it I just bought a new car. IT IS RED! What better way to announce to the world this grandma is hip?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 PM

I'll be 73 in April and every night I thank God for the day I just had. My mom will be 94 in May. I expect to live at least that long.