Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
AHH changing college majors...help? >

AHH changing college majors...help?

AHH changing college majors...help?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Yes, exactly. I teach college mathematics and I work with pre-service math teachers. They get jobs almost immediately. You will be competing for jobs in social work with persons who have experience, masters degrees, and PhDs. If you are looking for a career, teaching is great! However, you can also continue your education while teaching and add counseling certification to your teaching background.
Originally Posted by sweet
Teachers can begin work after a 4 year degree, whereas a social worker typically requires a MS.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 AM

You will also be competing (social workers) with ex-ministers. I have an M.Div. and have worked as a social worker in Retirement Centers. My M.Div. required 90 graduate hours.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Teaching is not for the faint of heart. You do not get your summers off (people just think you do because you are most often required to take classes, write curriculum, etc. w/o pay) and there is no 8-3 (I got to campus at 6 am and left after 5:30 everyday).

I think the grass is greener to many people. I think social work is noble but grossly underpaid and overworked. The burnout rate is higher than what is found in education. No one talks about the fact that most teachers only teach 5 years or less.

I suggest you research interests, pay levels (you will have to repay student loans somehow unless you are lucky enough to have everything paid by scholarships and grants, but very few are that lucky), and working environments. Check with university programs, ask if you can meet with directors of those programs, ask to talk to their intern coordinators, see if you can visit workplaces, etc. That is all part of data gathering and it really pays off in the end.
Great advice here. She's right about social workers being grossly underpaid and overworked. Also forgot about summers for teachers. My friend always has classes to take etc. Yeah, the grass is greener....... great advice!!! :thumbup:
PS. Wow, I didn't know that tidbit about teachers working less than 5 years. Yikes!!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:52 AM

I just looked at my class roster for this next school year. Two of my classes have 37 students in them. The other two have 31 and 30. I don't even have enough desks for that large number. I actually had a nightmare about it last night. I teach seventh grade and having 37 students in a class is a managing nightmare! We went from having three classes a day and a planning period to four classes a day and a planning period. Not only will we have less planning time this year, but more students.

I will have 135 students total. If I spend thirty seconds a day grading one paper per student, I still would not have enough time to get it all done and recorded during my 80 minute planning period. That doesn't take into consideration planning for instruction, making parental phone calls, and attending mandatory professional development during two planning periods a week. That gives me about four hours total a week to do all my grading, communicating, and planning.

I usually spend about fifteen additional hours a week working on school-related work. I arrive at school at 7AM and leave at 3:10 (to get my own kids from school). I get about fifteen minutes for lunch and am lucky to find time during the day to use the restroom. So, I put in about eleven hours a day.

I'm not trying to discourage someone from becoming a teacher, but don't want to sugar-coat it either. I really think the hours put in during the school year, the ridiculously large classes, the lack of administrative support, the difficult parents, and the apathy of students is what often drives teachers out of the profession.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by sweet
Teachers can begin work after a 4 year degree, whereas a social worker typically requires a MS.
In CA and other states you need five years of college, I have a 125 credits over a Masters.

I love my job. It is frustrating, I'm overworked at times and the paperwork has gotten overwhelming. I work with emtionally disturbed students ( I use to work with incarcerated children) and it is very gratifying when you are able to make a difference.

MistyMarie is correct, I often leave for work at 6ish and don't get home until 5 or later. It makes for a long day. I'm lucky, my children are grown. Some of the drawbacks really wear you down.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I just looked at my class roster for this next school year. Two of my classes have 37 students in them. The other two have 31 and 30. I don't even have enough desks for that large number. I actually had a nightmare about it last night. I teach seventh grade and having 37 students in a class is a managing nightmare! We went from having three classes a day and a planning period to four classes a day and a planning period. Not only will we have less planning time this year, but more students.

I will have 135 students total. If I spend thirty seconds a day grading one paper per student, I still would not have enough time to get it all done and recorded during my 80 minute planning period. That doesn't take into consideration planning for instruction, making parental phone calls, and attending mandatory professional development during two planning periods a week. That gives me about four hours total a week to do all my grading, communicating, and planning.

I usually spend about fifteen additional hours a week working on school-related work. I arrive at school at 7AM and leave at 3:10 (to get my own kids from school). I get about fifteen minutes for lunch and am lucky to find time during the day to use the restroom. So, I put in about eleven hours a day.

I'm not trying to discourage someone from becoming a teacher, but don't want to sugar-coat it either. I really think the hours put in during the school year, the ridiculously large classes, the lack of administrative support, the difficult parents, and the apathy of students is what often drives teachers out of the profession.
When I was teaching at the secondary level, I had more than 200+ on my class rosters with one 45 minute planning period per day. Most years my course load consisted of 5 separate courses. At the high school level, my specialty is lab science courses (chemistry, biotechnology, etc.). Most lab preparations take far longer. I graded papers for my "recreational entertainment". By the time I'd get around to grading them at night some were pretty darn funny (they were done so poorly).

Sugar coating reality to lure people down a dark alley is wrong. When one makes important decisions all pertinent data should be evaluated. Ignorance helps no one and hurts many.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:17 PM

I do know neither job pays very well and the stress can be brutal in both jobs. I guess it depends a lot on where you work. Good luck!! :D
Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I do know neither job pays very well and the stress can be brutal in both jobs. I guess it depends a lot on where you work. Good luck!! :D
Haha yeah, unfortunately my heart is in no high paying profession, dangit!!! I guess I'll just have to find a husband who will work for money, and I'll work because I want to :)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 PM

Or invest in your own happiness! Priceless!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:44 AM

It sounds like you want to work in a profession where you can make a tangible difference. If teaching is your passion, you might consider working in a Title I school. The burnout rate is high but you make a difference everyday for the students. I worked in Title I schools for 10 years and then needed a break so I moved to the "other side" and now work in a school with upper middle class students. One day, I'll go back to Title I.