airlines vs sewing machine

Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 PM

I booked w/United Airlines and they let me take my machine on the plane w/me to South Carolina, every thing went OK, BUT on the way back to NM they changed their minds an made me put it under the plane in the luggage department. I saw the luggage people THROW my bag w/my machine on the luggage rack and then pile more luggage on top of it!! My machine was damaged, I filed for a claim, their response was that I did not pack it correctly! Good Luck with your machine. I will not fly with United or take my machine on a plane again.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 AM

When ever I go home to Barbados and I am travelling with a sewing machine , I ALWAYS take it as carryon in a regular sewing bag they sell at Joanns or Walmart. The sewing bags with no wheels.No problem what soever and I put it in the overhead compartment. I have taken at least 5 different sewing machines at home to give away. Going through the screening , they usually check it out and give it back to me. NO problems. I travel American Airlines.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 AM
BMP

Taking it as a carry on would be the best option but , in our recent travels (FEB) you can NOT be guaranteed to be able to 'carry' it on board. Once the plane starts loading and they feel there is no more room over head they will give you a tag and you HAVE to ck it ( happens almost everytime if you are in a later zone to board) !!! People are taking alot more carry on's since they started charging for bags. I still would pack it well and UPS or Fed-Ex it, you have a better chance of getting any compensation if you buy insurance for it if something happens to it in shipment!! Also they might not let you take anything else as a carry on but your purse, a few thing to think about. I personally wouldnt want to take the chance that I wouldnt be able to put in an overhead and will have to ck it anyways....I have had my Bernina shipped from Texas to NY and it arrived perfect....
Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 AM

I have carried my on and it fits nicely over head. I would never check it.

Cookie64
Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 PM

I have flown with my little janome gold machine.. and they have tested it for bombs.. yes they swabbed it down..
but it flew on the plane with me ..I did not check it.. they throw the bags around tooooo much...
no problems... I would invest in a bag with wheels and a handle that pops up and travels easily..
hugs
quiltinmama
Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I wouldn't UPS it myself. not with all the recent videos of drivers tossing pkgs over fences. yikes!!
Even without the tossing drivers, anytime you ship or mail a box you should make sure it can withstand a four-foot drop onto a hard surface.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 AM

just saw your post. ten years ago a friend and I sent our machines (Embroidery and sergers) via UPS in original boxes and styrofoam. Two of the machines arrived damaged, one beyond using for the classes. Even though they werre insured we had to deal with the "a sewing machine can't be worth much attitude". I would not shp or check my good machine, carry-on or rent one or buy a 2nd machine if possible. My machine was never the same. Good luck
Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 AM
BMP

What are you going to do if when its your time to board and they stop carry ons and you HAVE to ck it???? Are you going to cancel your flight , ck it like instructed and its not prepared proberly to go under the plane take the chance that nothing will happen, if something happens to it the airlines are not responsible. Have you watched them load luggage it wouldnt have a snowballs chance in H... Have you flown lately to know how about 1/2 the passengers WILL HAVE to ck their carryon. There was an older lady a few in front of us and she was so upset she couldnt take her carryon on board which she had her meds and a few other important things in, they made NO exception..they told her to step aside and open her carryon get what she most needed and to place them in her purse. They were very rude to this older lady who was traveling by herself she was beside herself and sisnt understand why she could take her things with her. I personally would pack it bubble wrap it and take a chance with mailing ..
Old 03-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Carry on. They break too many things. I just had a round with Delta last summer when they "ran out of room" on board and demanded that I check a bag. PLUS wouldn't allow me time to take camera out....they weren't going to cover the breakage but ended up doing so.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Banned

UPS the planes are overcrowded with carry-ons now!