Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Am I the only one HOOKED on HGTV >

Am I the only one HOOKED on HGTV

Am I the only one HOOKED on HGTV

Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 AM

I still watch but only if I'm channel surfing. I love David B. but now that he is back in Miami I just can't relate to the "over the top" style of decorating there. I still watch because he is such "eye candy". The networks have to be about money so since many people don't have the disposal income to craft they have to change the format. I wish I would meet one of the hosts at the hardware store. I need a new kitchen, they can do anything they want. Still better than watching things like the fake reality shows.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Originally Posted by Sally J View Post
I still watch but only if I'm channel surfing. I love David B. but now that he is back in Miami I just can't relate to the "over the top" style of decorating there. I still watch because he is such "eye candy". The networks have to be about money so since many people don't have the disposal income to craft they have to change the format. I wish I would meet one of the hosts at the hardware store. I need a new kitchen, they can do anything they want. Still better than watching things like the fake reality shows.
Me to...just want to run into them at one of those big box home improvement stores and have them say, "Can we do your kitchen?". Please, please do. And Mike Holmes is just the best.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 AM

i also miss thje craft shows. there is a notice here that asks you to go to hgtv.com and contact them to bring back some of these craft and quilting shows. lorene
Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 AM

I agree with everyone about Mike Holmes - he's great. I am also amazed about how naive people are when it comes to buying a home: they get hung up on the decor and location (though this can be important), rather than more important things like structural issues. Or they want this and that, but at their price - sometimes I amazed that people find a place on House Hunters. That's why I like Property Brothers and Income Property. They cover both parts. Also Property Virgins, where Sandra teaches them and makes them face what they can really afford.

As far as craft shows, I agree I miss them, but obviously money powers the show and HGTV apparently can't find any big money sponsors for craft shows. That is probably why most of the craft shows have gone online. Though petitioning has worked for saving other shows, so I think I will go to hgtv.com and add my "voice" to the requests.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 AM

I agree - wish they'd bring back more quilting/craft shows. I do enjoy Mike Holmes tho'.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Have been watching the show that finds homes for folks in different states....I am amazed what people pay for houses
just for a location close to water....
Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 AM

I love HGTV. I get ideas from the different decorating shows and marvel at how they get things done on the cheap. When they say "we built this for $100.00" and it is an item that you know a carpenter would charge an arm and a leg plus a few of your quilting fingers, I just shake my head. I too try to guess the house that the couple will buy and I am getting better at guessing by listening to what they say at each house. Sometimes I am completely befuddled as to their pick and think that these guys will be house hunting again in the near future. I love the property brothers and think "no way."
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Very rarely watch since they took off the good crafting and quilting shows.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 AM

I watch it every day! another HGTV junkie
Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

I LOVE HGTV!!!!!!!!

I have been hooked on that channel since 1995 (approximately).

Of course there has been MANY changes to the programming format
and programs offered than there was back then.

My TOP programs to watch are Holmes Inspection, Holmes on Homes,
House Hunters (sometimes the International not often though), Design
on a Dime, Property Brothers.

I always loved watching Deserving Design with Vern Yip, but I guess they
took it off the air to bad, it was one of my favorites to watch.