"Amazon" scam

Old 04-23-2021, 07:35 AM

Default "Amazon" scam

I received a phone call, supposedly from Amazon, asking me to confirm a charge that had been made in New Mexico for $992. When I said I hadn't made that charge, they told me to go to my computer and go to another site. That's when I said I'd contact Amazon myself. They disconnected. Be careful!
Old 04-23-2021, 07:47 AM

I still have a landline and typically get one of the Amazon scam calls per day, even using NomoRobo.
https://www.nomorobo.com/

Is sad, I don't get many real calls at all. Maybe 1 in 10 is actually a person/friend/vet/etc. Most are stopped from leaving messages but some are so dedicated to scamming me... I am constantly amazed at the variations on old schemes and the new ones they cook up. But if it's out there, I usually get it. One of the nice things about being cheap is that no -- I already know that I don't have good news coming from my credit department (since I don't have any...). I don't go anywhere, I don't enter any drawings. I'm confident that my Social Security number is not going to be taken away from me. If the kid really needed bail money, he'd call his dad...

Old 04-23-2021, 09:36 AM

The list is endless. The Amazon calls, the Discover credit card - I don't have one - the SS #, the fall risk device my doctor ordered for me, the warranty on my Apple phone is up and they need $400 - my phone is an android, etc. But the one the bothers me the most is mail from what appears to be an official Buick site - it even has a picture of my car telling me I MUST order my extended warranty immediately. My car is 9 months old. I'm sure Buick has it under warranty. How many seniors (or younger) fall for that one?
Old 04-23-2021, 11:48 AM

The person I spoke to at Amazon to confirm that I didn't have the charge the scammer talked about said many, many people do fall for that scam.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:19 PM

We got a call from the same scammer yesterday. Since the answering machine took the call, I missed the beginning of the spiel, but I could tell they were claiming to be Amazon wanting to confirm a charge (in the $400 range). Listening to the message I thought it was fishy that the number they wanted me to call was not a 1-800 or 1-888 number. Thinking about it more, I realized that Amazon uses e-mail, not the phone, to report problems. I checked with DH that the charge amount didn't seem to apply to his recent purchases (nope), and he looked up the number and it is supposedly in Alabama. I definitely would have called the number on the back of my Amazon credit card, rather than the number in the message, if I thought it might be legit. The vast majority of calls on our land line are various forms of spam or scam, so we let any number that we don't recognize go to the answering machine, which makes it easier to sort the few that leave messages.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Amazon will never call unless you request a call back. Same with most major companies.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:44 PM

I have been getting a lot of emails regarding my tracking number. I never respond to them. If I have ordered anything. I call the company directly if there is a question. I too never pick up calls that I do not I let them go to the answering machine I have my phone set up so it announces where the call is coming from so I don't even have to get up to see.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:22 PM

The Amazon (or other "refund") scam is particularly nasty. What they do, if you let them - connect to your PC - get you to log in to your bank so they can put the "refund" in - hide the screen so you can't see what they are doing - transfer money from your savings account to your checking account - edit the HTML to make it look like they accidentally gave you too much money. Now the money really is in your checking account (it's your money) and they want you to either buy gift cards, wire the money to them, or even withdraw cash and mail it to a money mule in the US. Depending on how much you have in your accounts, you could lose 4-5 figures.
Never let anyone connect to your PC, and never let anyone see your bank account.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:42 PM

I have had 3 calls from an amazon scam and finally I called amazon and there is not scam charges and the amazon person told me they will never call you. Also yesterday at the same time that the amazon calls were happening I went to get on amazon to look at my account. I could not use my computer. A couple boxes came up and a mouse (not my mouse) was going all over the screen and There was a message that I got some malwear or something bad on my computer and to call this certain number. I did not call that number and my HB called apple and they fixed it in a few minutes. If anyone gets this, stop and call either Apple or Microsoft to fix it , do not call that number on the screen. I is a scam and they will ask for money and ruin your computer.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:51 PM

We've gotten a couple of calls about purchases supposedly made on Amazon. I took down the phone number the call came from filed a report with our local police department. The police were able to trace the call back to the address where it originated. The police officer was very nice and said he wished more people would these scams.